600 Mile Heads Up

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

600 Mile Heads Up

Post by d1ckyh »

So, I just called the Honda dealership where I bought my 2018 PCX 150. Asked how much and time frame for the 600 mile service. They said about 1 1/2 hours and $150.00. I asked how they could adjust the valves and everything else that quickly...

His response was that they do not normally adjust the valves at 600 miles unless they are making noise. Most of what they do is lube, oil change and inspection.

Thought I should share as this may be the case for a lot of dealerships who may or may not be charging for a valve adjustment when none is being done.

Here on the board there is a lot of discussion and opinions on checking valves at 600 miles (and paying for that service). Clearly Honda doesn't think it is an issue unless called for. May save some people grief over deciding to, or not to, having the valves adjusted at 600 miles.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: 600 Mile Heads Up

Post by easyrider »

150 .00 for a quart (+) of oil ?? 1.5 hrs to do it????? Do it yourself !!! Save the $
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

easyrider wrote:150 .00 for a quart (+) of oil ?? 1.5 hrs to do it????? Do it yourself !!! Save the $
Most Definitely! I thought I would just check into it. They said oil change, lube, inspect steering and adjust tire pressure.

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Well, some pay good money not to crawl around on concrete checking tires.
I sometimes holler across the house, "Hey kid, you wanna make 50 cents?!"
She hollers back, "What'd you drop this time Pops?"
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

d1ckyh wrote:
easyrider wrote:150 .00 for a quart (+) of oil ?? 1.5 hrs to do it????? Do it yourself !!! Save the $
Most Definitely! I thought I would just check into it. They said oil change, lube, inspect steering and adjust tire pressure.
Is that the dealership on Sunrise Blvd? or RIVA in Pompano although I think they are just Yamaha ?
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

easyrider wrote:
d1ckyh wrote:
Is that the dealership on Sunrise Blvd? or RIVA in Pompano although I think they are just Yamaha ?
It s Riva in Pompano, they do Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Is that the dealership on Sunrise Blvd? or RIVA in Pompano although I think they are just Yamaha ?[/quote]
It s Riva in Pompano, they do Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda[/quote]

I bought my first scooter there in 1987. I purchased a 1987 Yamaha red JOG 2 stroke 50 cc .. .. Still have it and runs great. At that time RIVA was a little bigger than a garage shed..Small scooter shop about 1/2 block in(north) off of Sample Rd on Dixie Hgwy.
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

easyrider wrote:Is that the dealership on Sunrise Blvd? or RIVA in Pompano although I think they are just Yamaha ?
It s Riva in Pompano, they do Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda[/quote]

I bought my first scooter there in 1987. I purchased a 1987 Yamaha red JOG 2 stroke 50 cc .. .. Still have it and runs great. At that time RIVA was a little bigger than a garage shed..Small scooter shop about 1/2 block in(north) off of Sample Rd on Dixie Hgwy.[/quote]

I have nothing but good things to say about them... Purchasing my new PCX was a breeze, although they had to order it in and it was a week of hell in anticipation LOL

As for the service, the only thing I was concerned about was the valve adjust, only because the plastics are a pain (from what I hear) Oil and gear oil change is a piece of cake, for me. I think the only thing I'd take it to them for is when it's time to change the tires, As I've changed them on my chinese knock off and it was a very unpleasant experience wrestling with them to get on and off with tire spoons.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had both of my bikes in for their 600 mile checks when they were new, and both needed their valves adjusted. To me doing the valve adjustment at that point kept me from having to bring it in later. Since that first adjustment the bike has run like a top.

The oil change and screen cleaning are the most important thing on the first service, though. I am pretty sure there will be shavings or metal particles in that oil. After that first service, enjoy your bike and don't worry about it. Just change the oil regularly. IF you think the valves need adjusting after the first service, I would recommend that you try to do it yourself. You could learn a lot about your bike by doing the valve adjustment.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I bought my first scooter there in 1987. I purchased a 1987 Yamaha red JOG 2 stroke 50 cc .. .. Still have it and runs great.
I find it difficult to part with my Genuine Roughhouse R50 also. There is something to be said for "less is more" sometimes. :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I keep an ear to any changes in my valve (engine) noise and performance. I do the regular oil maintenance on time or even ahead of schedule. I did find what looked like "lint" in the oil screen when I did the first oil change. At a little more than 2K miles my PCX is running great and I've yet to check the valves. I don't plan to do it before 5K miles but will continue to monitor the engine nuances. I'm under the belief that the U.K. maintenance schedule for the 2017 PCXs is for 5K miles anyways. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

d1ckyh wrote:Here on the board there is a lot of discussion and opinions on checking valves at 600 miles (and paying for that service). Clearly Honda doesn't think it is an issue unless called for. May save some people grief over deciding to, or not to, having the valves adjusted at 600 miles.
If you bought an extended warranty you better get on in there. If not that one year warranty in your year round riding climate becomes a little more difficult decision.

To maintain the warranty or not to maintain the warranty.... that is the question.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good point about the warranty Homie. . .especially if an extended warranty was purchased. I just went with the basic one. . .nothing extra. That being said I still can't explain the vast difference in the U.S. owner's manual maintenance schedule vs the one for the U.K.. Somebody did post some pages from it here about a year ago to show it did indeed say 5K miles or whatever Kilometers. 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .I found the post with the U.K. model maintenance schedule. I do however stand corrected. . .it's not 5K miles. . .it's 4K miles. Hope and enthusiasm springs eternal in the heart of a puppy.

Scroll down to where "Red Baron" posted a few pages of the 2017 PCX U.K. model (with City Grips!!!) maintenance schedule and see for yourself. ;)

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7232 :D
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

Mel46 wrote:I had both of my bikes in for their 600 mile checks when they were new, and both needed their valves adjusted. To me doing the valve adjustment at that point kept me from having to bring it in later. Since that first adjustment the bike has run like a top.

The oil change and screen cleaning are the most important thing on the first service, though. I am pretty sure there will be shavings or metal particles in that oil. After that first service, enjoy your bike and don't worry about it. Just change the oil regularly. IF you think the valves need adjusting after the first service, I would recommend that you try to do it yourself. You could learn a lot about your bike by doing the valve adjustment.
I would have no problem doing the valve adjust myself (have done it on a gy6). With the exception of having to take off all of the plastics to get to the engine. I'm terrified of breaking the plastics and have yet to find any place that sells the replacement BLUE plastics for the 2018.

What sort of irks me is that he said; " We only do it if they sound like they need it". From experience with my off brand scooter I can hear if they are loose and the pcx sounds fine. I'm just not going to pay $150.00 for an oil change.

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

homie wrote:
d1ckyh wrote:Here on the board there is a lot of discussion and opinions on checking valves at 600 miles (and paying for that service). Clearly Honda doesn't think it is an issue unless called for. May save some people grief over deciding to, or not to, having the valves adjusted at 600 miles.
If you bought an extended warranty you better get on in there. If not that one year warranty in your year round riding climate becomes a little more difficult decision.

To maintain the warranty or not to maintain the warranty.... that is the question.
I couldn't justify the extended warranty when I purchased as I can do most of the service myself. It just seems odd that something that is part of the 600 mile check up is based on if they sound like they need it.. So essentially, to keep the warranty in effect, I have to have them sign off on the service even if it wasn't done.

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

d1ckyh wrote:So essentially, to keep the warranty in effect, I have to have them sign off on the service even if it wasn't done.
You understand correctly now. It's probably the only thing that will make you unhappy about the little honda when buying new from a dealer. Put on a big smile when in the store and grumble about it in private or in here. Remember you are handing off your precious to the gorillas so keep them in plenty of bananas.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Just curious,does the warranty specify all work must be done by an authorized Honda Dealer.In US the Moss Ferguson act allows owners to do maintenance and use parts other than the manufacturers if they meet the manufacturers specs. and service requirements.Not 100 per cent sure but I always did my own maintenance on my new cars and never once was ever questioned on where or who did the work.They only checked to see if it is the warranty period .Not sure how Honda does things.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Honda is pretty good about the warranty, their reps are not out to turn down warranty, if the parts are deficient and it doesn't look like abuse, they'll cover it. They're not gonna bust you for doing oil changes yourself etc. just keep the receipts.

Was the honda rep that approved warranty for a few years, in Ohio.......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

I'm going ahead with doing my own oil change... unlike the gy6 Chinese engine which I am familiar with, I discovered that the PCX's oil strainer screen is separate and not part of the drain plug. According to the manual, cleaning the screen is not in the 600 mile column. Is this something I should do now or wait? It is my understanding that todays engines are so precisely manufactured that metal fragments are not a big issue as they once were... Comments? Input?