Just received my adjustable brake levers!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Just received my adjustable brake levers!

Post by gse123 »

When I first got my PCX I quickly realised that due to my small hands, I wasn't able to be as quick / efficient on the brakes as i'd like, and it really bugged me. I decided to take the plunge and order some adjustable levers from powerbypcx.com as I could not find anyone in this country that sells them!

They arrived today, and I have to say they are incredibly well made, and look fantastic (I think so anyway!) the adjustment mechanism is very solid - no fears it will creep over time. Anyone got any advice on how to fit new levers for a noob like me? I asked someone the other day, and they said "It's really easy" but then didn't actually explain. :roll:

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Just received my adjustable brake levers!

Post by you you »

gse123 wrote:When I first got my PCX I quickly realised that due to my small hands, I wasn't able to be as quick / efficient on the brakes as i'd like, and it really bugged me. I decided to take the plunge and order some adjustable levers from powerbypcx.com as I could not find anyone in this country that sells them!

They arrived today, and I have to say they are incredibly well made, and look fantastic (I think so anyway!) the adjustment mechanism is very solid - no fears it will creep over time. Anyone got any advice on how to fit new levers for a noob like me? I asked someone the other day, and they said "It's really easy" but then didn't actually explain. :roll:

Undo the single nut and bolt that holds them on
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

qed wrote:
gse123 wrote:When I first got my PCX I quickly realised that due to my small hands, I wasn't able to be as quick / efficient on the brakes as i'd like, and it really bugged me. I decided to take the plunge and order some adjustable levers from powerbypcx.com as I could not find anyone in this country that sells them!

Undo the single nut and bolt that holds them on
I think even I can manage that! Ta. Didn't know whether there were any considerations for the rear brake, with it being a cable. But closer inspection it just looks like the cable end just slots up in the underside of the lever.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

They do look incredibly well made. Is the bikers logo a transfer?
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Nah - the logo is etched / printed on
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

gse123 wrote:They arrived today, and I have to say they are incredibly well made, and look fantastic (I think so anyway!) the adjustment mechanism is very solid - no fears it will creep over time.
They look great, grats on the purchase!
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Those are great, will take the plunge in the New Year (wrong time of year to be spending out) as I must say I am not exactly enamoured with the stock levers, at €66 inc shipping they seem really good value...think I will order silver (argent) so as not to contrast against the handlebars even though I have a red pcx.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Got mine on order from Powerbypcx.com too. I've also gone for the Red anodised ones along with some other accent pieces (rear brake adjuster / brake reservoir cover / koso dipstick / brake caliper guard). Looking forward to getting the all the more now as they look really well made.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Well, just fit the levers. Was really easy - even for a complete noob like me. Front brake lever - just a single nut / bolt to worry about. Rear lever - same, but with the brake cable end piece that slots in the underside of the lever. With my current gloves, having them adjusted to the 'shortest but one' setting works really great for me.

philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Nice! I will have to check into those when my scooter fund has recovered.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

8) Looks very very smart. Can't wait for mine to come even more now :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

They look great on your bike! I really like them ;) Would be nice if the logo was removable. Thanks for the photo's
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:They look great on your bike! I really like them ;) Would be nice if the logo was removable. Thanks for the photo's

I agree.

Mind you the logo doesn't shout so much on the silver levers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ are you going to order the silver qed? Good idea, as ours now are silver from the giddy-up
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:^ are you going to order the silver qed? Good idea, as ours now are silver from the giddy-up
Sorry, what do you mean?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry 'bout that qed. I'll give it another go. "I" was getting the impression that you might order these yourself and if so, your choice would be silver (as it hid the logo better in that color). My definition of "from the giddy-up" = from the beginning. "Our PCX's brake levers" Are silver "from the giddy-up" (the beginning). Honda chose the same color :D Hope I cleared that up ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

See what you mean. Heard of ,from the get go, but never ,giddy up'
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Probably just a coincidence that it has been a bit wet / icy since I fitted these levers at the weekend, but the brakes just don't feel as responsive all of a sudden.... like I said, probably just coincides with natural road surface conditions that increase braking distance but I felt I had to pull the levers pretty tight today to stop in a pretty generous gap to the car in front, and I wasn't even going that quickly.

I will continue to monitor it, and when there is a totally dry / ice free day I'll test the brakes, then swap back the Honda levers and see if there is any difference...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Can you adjust the free play as well as the handspan?
(ideally you need to be able to do both)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Can you adjust the free play as well as the handspan?
(ideally you need to be able to do both)

True