Torquing the ncy drive face.. lil advice please

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tomato
Year: 2011
Color: white

Torquing the ncy drive face.. lil advice please

Post by Tomato »

Hey!

I recently grabbed a ncy variator pulley/drive face.. Having a little difficulty torquing the drive face as it doesn't have the mounts like the stock one.. I was using a clamping tool on the radiator fins but they started to snap off.. o_O :x :lol:

Turning on the bike the nut on the drive pulley gets shocked loose.. Had to put the stock drive face back on for the moment..

Can/Do I have to use an airgun on the crankshaft? I guess I'm just nervous about damaging the engine or the inside of the pulley face..

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Torquing the ncy drive face.. lil advice please

Post by Pcxdemon »

I use impact torque gun to undo the nuts, you should have no drama with it
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

After I installed my NCY variator I had to find another way to tighten the nut as well. I succeeded in jamming a wedge of wood between the variator and the casing while tightening the nut. Torquing the nut takes a lot of effort but it does work.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by neb4152 »

I used a torque gun to remove my original drive face with no tool to support it. No issue there. Installing the NCY kit, I made a tool like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVAimvORFI and used a torque WRENCH to reinstall everything. Very easy, at least for me. I could go much slower and with much less immediate torque with the wrench until I met the specified torque setting without damaging the drive face fins. I prefer torque wrenches over torque guns for that reason.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Because the fins on the NCY drive face are much shallower i was afraid to use my removal tool to hold it while I torqued the nut. When taking the original drive face off I did a spectacular job of killing most of the fins on it. Luckily I had already killed some of the fins previously so no big loss.

I had no problems on my wife's bike, well except for the fact that Dave and I didn't torque the nut tight enough and it came off while we were riding on some country road. We were lucky. A lady came by on her way home and told us that her father was a motorcycle guy too and had all sorts of equipment. He was 5 minutes away. He came, and he brought his portable compressor. We were back on the road 20 minutes later. That was luck!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Impact wrench to remove the nut.
A large (rubber band) oil filter removal tool to hold the face for re-torque.
Tightening to 59 Nm or 44 lbf-ft.
Using an impact wrench to tighten could damage the final drive and strip the threads.
The fins are soft and easily broken off under 44 foot pounds if only one fin is used to wedge against. If you can fashion a tool to catch multiple fins it could be done :D
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am all for using something along the line of the strap, so please tell me how it works with the belt already on the variator. Is there enough room to put the strap on and hold it out of the way while torquing the nut? :ugeek:

I may go ahead and purchase one of those straps if it can fit on the drive face and actually be tightened up without getting in the way while i torque the nut. Any preferred type?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The exact same one I use in my long boring video's to hold the NCY face whilst torquing the vario nut. The little gripper is of little use but the large one will serve to hold the outer rim of the face then wedge the handle. It may slip off a couple times but you can manage it.

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Filter-Wrenc ... rap+wrench

No need for a strap tool if you aren't installing the NCY vario kit. Stock faces provide for the proper tool. I fashioned a set of these to use on stock vario kits by grinding off the pin head and removing the shoes. Then adding longer pins to the existing holes on this vise grip.

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Locking- ... lip+pliers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Homie, would you mind pointing me to one of your videos where you use the strap for the NCY drive face, please? I am trying to understand how to use it with the belt already on and the nut secure but not torqued yet. It just seems to me that there wouldn't be enough surface to grasp on the drive face because of the belt interference. I have installed several of these kits now and have always had a problem with tightening the nut to torque spec. Even a photo of the strap wrench secured on the drive face would give me a better understanding. Thanks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here you go Mel, and yes after fully assembled and with your torque wrench ready apply the oil filter grip in the proper direction. Don't forget thats a wet torque (light coat of motor oil on the threads)
A little awkward to do by yourself but if someone holds it the 44 ft lbs does not exceed the bands ability to hold tight.
Attachments
face2.jpg
face2.jpg (441.09 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
face1.jpg
face1.jpg (279.04 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, so yesterday I went to my local Home Depot, right across the street from my subdivision, and I purchased a Husky brand strap wrench, which has a lifetime warranty.

I am hoping that I won't have to reattach the nut on my bike, since I just installed the new NCY variator on it. However, if I do, I am now ready, thanks to you Homie.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150