Gear and Putzing Around Town

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

IvyGodivy
Year: TBD
Color: TBD

Gear and Putzing Around Town

Post by IvyGodivy »

Seeking input. I am coming from a motorcycle perspective where even in 90 degree weather I was biker jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet.

But with the scooter I won't be hitting suicide speeds, was thinking when the time comes to just get bucket helmet, maybe goggles to go over my glasses and gloves just in case I do hit pavement.

What is the common choice around here?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Gear and Putzing Around Town

Post by GeorgeSK »

You might want to check the post "Wear Your Helmets". If you go down at 35 or 40 mph, it really doesn't matter what you are coming off of. If you come of wrong and don't have the protection, you could be defaced. At least that's my logic for a full face helmet. It's not like I am particularly vain, but I really don't want any extra pain (or expense).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I wear a half helmet like the cops have.I feel that I can see more ,hear more,cooler, and enjoy the riding experience much more than a completely confined helmet.I use riding sunglasses.If you want ultimate protection get the full mojo as many on here will suggest.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

My GF went down at less than 20 a couple weeks ago and the damage to her gear was surprising (not to mention the road rash to her knee since she wasn't wearing riding pants). I'm actually upping my gear levels for the scooters.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

In the summer here it is almost impossible to wear full gear since you could end up with heat stroke because of the heat and humidity. That being said, when we had our accident we were doing 45 mph. No time to react. Head-on collision right in front of us. (Guy was texting while driving.) My wife ended up with a broke shoulder at a grand cost to fix of $75,000. That was coming off of a PCX 150. We both had 3/4 helmets and our faces thanked us because the helmets took a beating instead of us.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

You can always get a convertible helmet and spin that roulette chamber every warm ride. ;)

Here's my Wear Your Helmets post. Like GeorgeSK and Cube said, you don't have to be going suicide speeds to hit the pavement hard. I was going 25 mph (probably less at that location) but I got slammed to the ground pretty hard. You can see the grind marks on the jaw section of the helmet. If it hadn't been a full-face helmet I'm certain I would've broken both my jaw and cheek/eye socket, and I wouldn't have been conscious after I hit the ground.
GeorgeSK wrote:You might want to check the post "Wear Your Helmets". If you go down at 35 or 40 mph, it really doesn't matter what you are coming off of. If you come of wrong and don't have the protection, you could be defaced. At least that's my logic for a full face helmet. It's not like I am particularly vain, but I really don't want any extra pain (or expense).
One of my friends said, "At least you protected your money-maker!" I said, "Well, that's not how I make my money, but yeah, I'm glad I had my helmet on!" :lol:
Cube wrote:My GF went down at less than 20 a couple weeks ago and the damage to her gear was surprising (not to mention the road rash to her knee since she wasn't wearing riding pants). I'm actually upping my gear levels for the scooters.
I'm doing the same. 8)
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

IvyGodivy wrote:Seeking input. I am coming from a motorcycle perspective where even in 90 degree weather I was biker jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet.

But with the scooter I won't be hitting suicide speeds, was thinking when the time comes to just get bucket helmet, maybe goggles to go over my glasses and gloves just in case I do hit pavement.

What is the common choice around here?
Helmet and mesh jacket with back, and elbow armor.

Even at 25 mph, going down will hurt; will tear clothes and rip away skin. The only thing you gain on a scooter is that the mass of the bike isn't so frightful should it fall on you; and you can swerve faster to avoid a close encounter of the worst kind.

I have two helmets; and the no-face-shield one is the one I wear with the PCX. Don't need wind protection - I wear glasses anyway, so I have rudimentary eye protection. But a streamlined face shield, as with my Bell helmet, is overkill. And I've had good helmets stolen; so when I can, I use the cheap one.

I shouldn't but I generally don't bother with riding jeans. I have a set of Kevlar armored jeans, and I wear them on my road bike; but like you - and illogically - I figure I'm okay on a scooter.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

easyrider wrote:I wear a half helmet like the cops have.I feel that I can see more ,hear more,cooler, and enjoy the riding experience much more than a completely confined helmet.I use riding sunglasses.If you want ultimate protection get the full mojo as many on here will suggest.
Hearing loss is down the pike if not wearing something to protect from the overpressure found even on full face helmets.
Experts say it is that, more than sound, which is causing the hearing loss over time if riding without ear plugs.
Those who wear them, at work for example - know that you can still hear what you need to.
But, to each his own - as always.

Fish
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

It's much, much hotter than usual here in NW UK this year. One of the problems with wearing all the gear on my 10 mile communte is that it has slow sections with traffic - particularly in the heat of the late afternoon. Riding is way too slow to maintain a comfortable body temperature to allow for concentrating on safe riding imo.

My essentials are good quality attenuated motorbike ear-plugs, a modular helmet to flip-up in slow-moving traffic and pull down at 40-50mph; modular helmets are also good at keeping the sun out of your eyes; kevlar-lined chinos - not black because they get too hot - with hip and knee pads (these are really coming down in price now and I got a new pair for £38 recently) and a lightweight motorbike jacket with elbow and back protection. Padded leather fingerless weight-lifting gloves complete the Village People look.
G'Bru
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

In this hot weather, my choice of helmet (FF, Modular, or 3/4 Open), gloves, Viz Vest, work boots, and hoodie seems sufficient to me. Just around town though. . .. 8)

I considered getting some armored riding gear but never got around to it. My leather jacket looks like it came from the "Wild One" movie. :lol:

gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

PCX150Rider wrote:In this hot weather, my choice of helmet (FF, Modular, or 3/4 Open), gloves, Viz Vest, work boots, and hoodie seems sufficient to me.
I was warned against workboots when I was doing a CBT years ago. That a paramedic might have trouble getting the boot off you after a side impact to the steel toecap without doing further damage to your foot. That steel toecaps are designed to withstand something falling downwards onto them, not a sideways impact from a vehicle.
G'Bru
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Half helmet, summer gloves and hi-viz mesh tourmaster jacket here......a coolmax full synthetic poly t-shirt under the tourmaster allows the mesh in the jacket to work really well in hot summer situations.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Givestrong
Year: 2018 V4
Color: Matt grey

Post by Givestrong »

Hi everyone, to add to this discussion, i live in a warm area, in south of France, so the temperature is around 25-30 degrees celsius for about 6 month/year.

I use a modular helmet, and padded gloves, but for the upper body, i found recently a hoodie jacket, very discreet, but it have some pad protections on shoulders, elbows, back protector and kevlar lining. This model : http://www.booster-motor.com/shop/rider ... odie-core/

It is still a bit hot when i am stuck in traffic, but as soon as i ride, air flows in nicely. To me its a nice compromise between protection and look. (everyone here wear shorts, tshirts and flipflops, even on huges scooters like Tmax or superbikes, scary !)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I was warned against workboots when I was doing a CBT years ago. That a paramedic might have trouble getting the boot off you after a side impact to the steel toecap without doing further damage to your foot. That steel toecaps are designed to withstand something falling downwards onto them, not a sideways impact from a vehicle.
Good info!

I still do have a pair of "real" work boots that have a composite (non-steel) toe but now that you mention it I don't think I'll use them on the bikes/scoots anymore. I'll continue to use my regular work/hiking type boots though. That said they are getting quite old and I think I'm due for some new Dr. Martens. :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

This model : http://www.booster-motor.com/shop/rider ... odie-core/

It is still a bit hot when i am stuck in traffic, but as soon as i ride, air flows in nicely. To me its a nice compromise between protection and look. (everyone here wear shorts, tshirts and flipflops, even on huges scooters like Tmax or superbikes, scary !)
Thanks for that link! It looks something like the Highway 21 brand stuff on this side of the pond.

Early yesterday evening I took a ride and saw this guy with his girlfriend riding a MOPED with no eye protection, no helmets, and basically looking like an accident waiting to happen. They looked like they were having a great time but obviously were oblivious to the risks they were submitting themselves to. Just getting a bug in the eye at that time of day (and they are out around the marshlands) alone can blind you. Geezzzz. :roll:
Givestrong
Year: 2018 V4
Color: Matt grey

Post by Givestrong »

I remember some rides i had in Thailand with my girlfriend, on a Honda Click125, with only some very very old nutshell helmets that protects way less than a bicycle helmet.
That was so crazy in the traffic, especially when the only traffic law seems to be "priority to the fastest" ! :lol:

In Koh Phanghan island, the slippery concrete + sand roads makes so much injured tourists than when you got some road wounds there, it's called the Phanghan Tattoo... Happy not to get this one :roll:
RSTX
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by RSTX »

Off topic...Givestrong, where in France are you? My wife and I dream of visiting that area someday.

On topic...My minimum riding gear is full face helmet, armored jacket and motorcycle gloves. I do wear shorts in hot weather if I'm not going more than 35-40 mph. I need some mesh pants.
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

Leaning towards this specific helmet.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/46 ... ce-Helmet-

With Mechanix gloves. Not sure going to go with the whole getup; we shall see.

Also leaning towards buying the PCX in 2019 and trying to get a 2020 model. Hoping there will be something special due to the new decade.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Also leaning towards buying the PCX in 2019 and trying to get a 2020 model. Hoping there will be something special due to the new decade.
To ride or not to ride. . .that is the question! :D

I think long range about my big purchases also. Once you put the cash on the table you want to make sure you don't get "buyer's remorse". ;)

Whatever you decide to get and whenever you get it have fun and be safe! 8)
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

PCX150Rider wrote:
To ride or not to ride. . .that is the question! :D

I think long range about my big purchases also. Once you put the cash on the table you want to make sure you don't get "buyer's remorse". ;)

Whatever you decide to get and whenever you get it have fun and be safe! 8)
Thanks man. When I do get it, any interest in meeting in the middle and riding around country like towns?