key stolen

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

oyessum
Year: 2021
Color: white

key stolen

Post by oyessum »

So I did a bonehead thing today.

I was at a meeting with the city this morning, but I was running late and I forgot some things. Like my bookbag, my gloves, and oh yeah, I forgot to take my key out of the ignition when I parked it. And why are city offices always in the worst parts of town? 15 minutes into the meeting, I realized that I didn't remember taking my key out of the ignition, and in a panic, ran out to find the bike still there, but no key.

Grrr!

I guess the culprit was either dumb (didn't know about the kill switch) or just evil (disinterested in the bike, and only interested in making my life a living hell for a while)

And yes, I rechecked my steps like a dozen times, in and out of the building, others helped. I was hopeful that I had left the keys under the seat, but no. Well, my friend picked me up and we got my spare key and now Blackie Jr. is in the garage at the house, and now I'm driving a minivan. I don't feel comfortable parking the PCX in public until I know I have the only keys. Its the first time I've left them in the ignition, too.

Anyone ever had that happen? I think the next step is to get the ignition rekeyed. At the dealer. I'm not excited about finding out the cost :( I don't think I've had Blackie Jr. for even a month.

-o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: key stolen

Post by gn2 »

Yes, I have left the key in the ignition of my Z1300 before.
Key was still in it when I returned which was a pleasant surprise.
I also once went on holiday for two weeks with my house front door unlocked.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Why not just buy a wheel lock or chain and padlock for around the wheel. You can keep it under the seat when riding.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yes, I have left the key in the ignition of my Z1300 before.
Key was still in it when I returned which was a pleasant surprise.
I also once went on holiday for two weeks with my house front door unlocked.

Weren't you once a policeman?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Funnily enough both happened while I was a Constable.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

Lol I did this before while I went to a nightclub, surprisingly, someone told me about 3 hrs later.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

oyessum wrote:I forgot to take my key out of the ignition when I parked it. And why are city offices always in the worst parts of town? 15 minutes into the meeting, I realized that I didn't remember taking my key out of the ignition, and in a panic, ran out to find the bike still there, but no key.
And yes, I rechecked my steps like a dozen times, in and out of the building, others helped. I was hopeful that I had left the keys under the seat, but no.
Just a question, but did you check with the lost and found (or front desk) at the building you were in (or those close by), or call the police department to see if anyone dropped off a set of keys. I ask because a friend of mine had parked his cycle in a rather rough area of Salt Lake City one time and left his keys in the ignition. Some good samaritan saw them, pulled the keys out and dropped them off at the local police station, rather than some undesirable starting it up and stealing the bike.
oyessum

Post by oyessum »

philvb wrote:Just a question, but did you check with the lost and found (or front desk) at the building you were in (or those close by), or call the police department to see if anyone dropped off a set of keys. I ask because a friend of mine had parked his cycle in a rather rough area of Salt Lake City one time and left his keys in the ignition. Some good samaritan saw them, pulled the keys out and dropped them off at the local police station, rather than some undesirable starting it up and stealing the bike.
It was a very small parking lot and an even smaller building :D But yes, all three employees helped me look for it. Thanks for the police story, that's a good idea! I'll call tomorrow morning and see what I can find. I know they do patrol the area regularly, especially down that street. The only other business nearby is an Indian buffet, but it's hard to believe one of them would take the key back to the restaurant rather than bring it into the building where I'm obviously parked.

Chilling. My girlfriend told me about when she had the lights stolen off her bicycle and found out by and by, someone had done it to "teach her a lesson." :roll: oyessum mean ppl in da werld.

*learned my lesson* :|
oyessum

Post by oyessum »

Taz wrote:Why not just buy a wheel lock or chain and padlock for around the wheel. You can keep it under the seat when riding.
That's an idea. How much do they run? If it's less than 50% of the price of rekeying, I would seriously consider it. Any recommendations? What do ya'll use?

I would really like to have a spare key tho (I suppose Honda can make one for less than rekeying the ignition)

Ont he bright side, at least scooters got it easier than motos. They have 3 locks to rekey in that event: ignition, gas tank, and helmet lock.
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

I'm sure it's far less than the cost of re-keying (not that re-keying is a bad idea).

My motorcycle shop has a lot of absurdly expensive locks with features like GPS alarms built into them that cost over $100, but if you go to any store that sells bicycles you should be able to get a decent heavy chain or U-bar for under $20.

Just this week I left my keys by mistake not in the ignition but in the lock for my top case while I went to class, and while I wouldn't say my campus is dangerous, we do have a lot of kids who do dickish things just for the sake of doing dickish things. I was convinced I would come out to my parking spot to find my scooter gone, but in fact it was still there and my keys were right where I left them. It turns out that since I put a cover on my bike whenever possible to keep the rain and bird poop off, the cover covered my keys and no one could see my mistake.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Keebler Dwarf wrote: since I put a cover on my bike whenever possible to keep the rain and bird poop off, the cover covered my keys and no one could see my mistake.
Good point! Before I had a garage, I always kept my bike under a cover. All I had was a tarp sewn together on the ends to make an envelop, which was far less interesting to view than your stunningly beautiful PCX ;) and drew less attention from ne'er-do-wells.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oyesseum, if you're willing to take your bike apart, order item #12 here: http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/se ... parts.html

The complete ignition assembly with keys is under $20, that might be worth it for the peace of mind. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

oh man. a couple of weeks ago i was eating at a dairy queen restuarant and left my key in the ignition on accident. When i went outside to get on my scooter noticed my key was in the ignition...my eyes got super big lol. ......not just that but right next to my scooter was a black car full of "thugs" "gangster wannabes" etc. that was truly a close one.....as they were just sitting in their car to the right side of my scooter, where my set of keys had to be visible to them.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

happyscooter wrote:oh man. a couple of weeks ago i was eating at a dairy queen restuarant and left my key in the ignition on accident. When i went outside to get on my scooter noticed my key was in the ignition...my eyes got super big lol. ......not just that but right next to my scooter was a black car full of "thugs" "gangster wannabes" etc. that was truly a close one.....as they were just sitting in their car to the right side of my scooter, where my set of keys had to be visible to them.
Maybe they thought its a Police decoy and somewhere must be a hidden camera...