Trufuel ethanol free gas

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gjschwartzman
Year: 2019 and 2020
Color: Bronze and Red

Trufuel ethanol free gas

Post by gjschwartzman »

Recently purchased a 2019 PCX, coming from a 50 cc Piaggio fly. Keep the PCX in the mountains of Pennsylvania where it will get no more than 500-600 miles of use per year. Had major carburetor problems with the Piaggio where it would be hard to start after only sitting for several weeks. I know the PCX is fuel injected, but would there be any benefit to buying ethanol free gas (i.e. Trufuel) for the PCX? Cost is not really a concern given the low mileage. I will also use a fuel additive like Seafoam of Stabile since it will sit many months during the winter. Really loving the PCX! Can finally take it out of my development without being afraid of faster moving traffic (like I was with the Fly50). Thanks for the advice.

Greg.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Trufuel ethanol free gas

Post by Jge64 »

I would run ethanol gas all the time do you use the bike, and before your winter storage, and get the tank as low as possible and fill it with premium ethanol free gas. Use the sta-bil or the seafoam and you’ll be fine. But there’s no reason when you’re using the bike day to day/weekly to go to an ethanol free fuel.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Just got around to insuring my bike tor the summer, noticed the last time it was on the road was Oct 2016.
Got ill the spring of 2017 so the bike sat for almost three years with the same gas in it.
Took a chance on things being OK and so far so good,did put some sta-bil back then,and like I said so far so good.
Even the battery was fine.
When I last fuelled up was Oct 2016 was with 87 octane 10% ethanol,living on the edge?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

That is one excellent endorsement for Sta-bil! I guess 10% ethanol is not THAT big a concern to a PCX. Very good news....

PS: glad that illness part of the program is reasonably behind you. Have a great scoot season!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Poohstyx
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Poohstyx »

Honda recommend maximum 10% ethanol.
The PCX I just bought had done 100 miles in the last 2 years.
The last time it was used was to take it for MoT 3 months ago.
Knowing local supplies, I assume it had 5% in.
After charging the battery & pumping up the tyres, it handled the 125 mile trip home without issue.
Over the hill and picking up speed on the long downhill unto death.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Jge64 wrote:I would run ethanol gas all the time do you use the bike, and before your winter storage, and get the tank as low as possible and fill it with premium ethanol free gas. Use the sta-bil or the seafoam and you’ll be fine. But there’s no reason when you’re using the bike day to day/weekly to go to an ethanol free fuel.
All spot on, so long as the ethanol content is 10% or less.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

I run ethanol-free gas all the time in our pcx150.
Actually get better fuel mileage with it.
If your doing that few miles on it, I surely would put ethanol-free gas in it. And a stabilizer.
I have seen first hand what damage ethanol gas does if it sets. Because it absorbs water!
Do you want water in your gas tank? Why take the chance, if you have access to ethanol-free gas, use it.
It's only 2 gallons.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Modern fuel injection systems aren't as sensitive to ethanol as carbureted systems. a bit of stabil in the tank over the winter wouldn't go amiss, just the same. The real issue i have with ethanol is that it's really nothing more than filler. I ran some comparison tests between ethanol and and non-ethanol fuels in my old carbureted kymco People 150, and noticed a that with 10% ethanol fuel, I got 82 mpg...and 90mpg with ethanol-free fuel, about a 10% difference...interesting.

I haven't bothered testing this with my PCX. it runs fine and I get about 90mpg...so I'm not really worried, plus I run a fuel system cleaner through every few tanks and haven't observed any problems.

fwiw, if you run stabil or seafoam, as you've suggested, you'll probably be fine.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Yes really nothing wrong with running 10% eth.. Only issue is to keep it fresh and use it in modern fuel systems where the rubber can handle alcohol. Alcohol is a good cleaner and will resurrect any dirt and sludge that sits in the bottom of your tank and bring it to the injectors or carburetor.So make sure that when you have an old fuel tank be sure to clean it before using alcohol induced fuels.This should not be an issue in modern systems however as Honkerman said be prepared for less fuel economy and keep it fresh and dry as possible for best results.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Finally ran out my 3 year old fuel today,took it right to the flashing fuel gauge. Not a hiccup. Not recommending anyone to do the same but in the interest of science I proved it can be done.
Fresh tank of gas today and will not wait 3 years to use it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

relic wrote:Finally ran out my 3 year old fuel today,took it right to the flashing fuel gauge. Not a hiccup. Not recommending anyone to do the same but in the interest of science I proved it can be done.
Fresh tank of gas today and will not wait 3 years to use it.

I’ve done the same on one of my two stroke carbed scooters.

At no point did the sky fall.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

What is it that makes me laugh so at that? A wee bit dumb right? I laugh anywho :lol:
Sorry, I can't resist... :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You