Hesitation/stutter off the line-the fix

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Hesitation/stutter off the line-the fix

Post by Jge64 »

If you have a hesitation or vibration right when you take off, it's probably the clutch shoes that are glazed over and not making good contact, this is a relatively easy fix. See some of Maddie's other posts on how to take off the side panel underneath the floorboards, and then take off the cover to the clutch/variator area. The clutch vice grips used to hold the variator can also be used to hold the clutch, (or Some just hold the back brake shut)…
5326DADB-549F-4AC6-B2C4-966D103407BB.jpeg
5326DADB-549F-4AC6-B2C4-966D103407BB.jpeg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
use a big socket to counterclockwise loosen the 19 mm (#3) nut. Pull off the clutch basket and sand down with rough sandpaper the clutch shoes and basket, they are staring you right in the face then wipe down with alcohol or brake clean. Reassemble using a TQ wrench at 36 ft/lbs on the nut.....vibration gone
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Hesitation/stutter off the line-the fix

Post by fast1075 »

This is what is generally done when a scooter is taken to the shop with a bad shudder. However it does not solve the problem, only temporarily the symptoms.

Several things can cause a shudder. Mine did it so bad, I was ready to roll it into a ditch, especially since the Elite 110 I had before had a glassy smooth clutch.

(a) The friction material on the clutch weights is too aggressive.
(b) In humid climates, the inside of the clutch bell can lightly rust when sitting.
(c) The friction pads can glaze if the clutch is slipped a lot by too light a throttle.
(d) The belt takes a "set" while sitting.

The Cure: Buy a set of Honda 22535-KVB-900 clutch weight (pads, shoes, whatever you want to call them). Install them. Sand the clutch drum if it makes you feel better. Reassemble and ride.

You will notice the engine will rev just a bit higher before it takes off because the new pads are a fuzz lighter. This can be a good thing if you have a load.
When you crank the bike after not riding for a while, hold the brakes and give it just a little gas to warm up the clutch and belt. Enjoy shudder free riding.

If I keep mine long enough, I may send a clutch bell out and have the friction surface hard chromed so it can't rust, which would eliminate everything except the belt taking a set.
The Fasterizer
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I beat this without replacing the pads/shoes (whatever you want to call them) by sanding and then heating with a hot air gun until they literally smoke! This process was initially done by me and currently verified as a fix by other riders in my YT channel as well. Any grease or oil is baked off which resets the clock and shudder won't be coming back after just a few miles. De-grease the inside of the outer clutch housing too. For you new guys accelerate hard off the line and don't nurse the scooter to avoid glazing.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I don't agree with that the operation I rode up is temporary. I've done it before on to other vehicles wand as long as you get the basket clean, and Decontaminate the shoes with brake clean/alcohol, the next time I do it will be a couple years.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fast1075
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I did the sand and deglaze three times. Each time it worked ok for a while. I have over 6K miles on the KVB-900 pads with no problems at all. I found out about it on a blog by a scooter shop in Thailand. Works for me. Just trying to help.
The Fasterizer
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

fast1075 wrote:I did the sand and deglaze three times. Each time it worked ok for a while. I have over 6K miles on the KVB-900 pads with no problems at all. I found out about it on a blog by a scooter shop in Thailand. Works for me. Just trying to help.
Do you still have that link for the blog? I want to know the shop's contact or address. Could use their service or show the blog post to the Honda mechanic here who told me that the annoying sound from my clutch is normal and nothing to worry about. Thanks
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

alx123 wrote:
fast1075 wrote:I did the sand and deglaze three times. Each time it worked ok for a while. I have over 6K miles on the KVB-900 pads with no problems at all. I found out about it on a blog by a scooter shop in Thailand. Works for me. Just trying to help.
Do you still have that link for the blog? I want to know the shop's contact or address. Could use their service or show the blog post to the Honda mechanic here who told me that the annoying sound from my clutch is normal and nothing to worry about. Thanks
Are you talking about the final drive clutch bearing issue (raspy horrid noise) or the shudder which this thread is about - two different issues.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Switch to boxers?

not Fish
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

All this time I thought I was getting bad gas and that's where the problem came from. For some reason, the stutter vanishes when I get a fresh tank of some primo ethanol-free stuff. But I'll definitely have to look into one of these options ASAP.

I bought my scooter with only 300 miles on it, but it was like 3 or 4 years old at the time. I remember the stutter from day 1 tho. Thought it was just a cvt thing.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

iceman wrote:
alx123 wrote:
Are you talking about the final drive clutch bearing issue (raspy horrid noise) or the shudder which this thread is about - two different issues.
it's a screeching high pitch sound that comes with the shudder. at first, thought it was the bearings too. told the Honda mechanic about it last month when i came for my 24k service, he checked the bearings, told me its there is nothing wrong with it. he cleaned the clutch pads, didn't sand it though, just blew some high pressured air. after that, shudder and screeching gone, but only for a week or two then its back.

came back to tell him that, he told me it's nothing and not to worry about it. :roll:
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Post by PCX2016 »

I also have this vibration/shudder in my 2017. If one were to just replace parts, what would need to be replaced? The complete clutch?
American in Cambodia !!!
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Aftermarket clutch pads with better material are now available here. Pretty sure you can find something in your location too.

Just don't use OEM clutch pads..

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9125

Iv'e been using this clutch pads on my PCX2016 for more than a year now and it's flawless..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Having just cleaned out all the bits in the variator / clutch housing and fitted new rollers, belt and driven face, my clutch pads looked a little shiny on the surface but I did not do anything to them and the bike rides fine.
I had purchased new '110 style' pads some time ago as they were supposed to stop the judder above the PCX versions, but it did not look like I needed to swap them yet. Near 20,000 miles and still takes off and rides fine - no judder now that I cleaned all the dust out and fitted a new belt and rollers.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

What if I told you guys that you could solve this problem without buying any new clutch shoes.... and without even needing to turn a single wrench or other tool??

Just need to follow this simple remedy:

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?p=137407#p137407
youyou wrote:Use full throttle with the brakes on. Slowly release the brakes. Repeat half a dozen times
Fixed my juddering / stuttering / vibration off the line. I had already ordered a "performance clutch bell" with grippy interior surface and holes to allow dust to escape easily.... but this is obviously a much cheaper and simpler fix.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

grndslm wrote:this is obviously a much cheaper and simpler fix.
Better way to deal with it is wet and dry, eliminates the risk of belt/clutch damage.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

gn2 wrote:
grndslm wrote:this is obviously a much cheaper and simpler fix.
Better way to deal with it is wet and dry, eliminates the risk of belt/clutch damage.
How many children must I sacrifice before you explain to me how I can wet and dry my clutch? Is that just spraying a solvent of some sort and wiping it dry?
tjupille
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

"wet and dry" is sandpaper that can be used for either wet or dry sanding. For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Sandpaper-Assort ... B01K22Q9R8