My PCX150-White/Red

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: My PCX150-White/Red

Post by maddiedog »

Valid -- but he's right that he will not obtain any useful information from you. You're of a different mindset, not agreeing with most mods. You and I both know that removing his aftermarket wheels and restoring his bike to stock won't make any difference with his issue, which you mostly ignored in your response. :|
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:You and I both know that removing his aftermarket wheels and restoring his bike to stock won't make any difference with his issue, which you mostly ignored in your response. :|
OK I've had a look back through the thread.
The failed bearings could be caused by ill fitting aftermarket wheels.
Have the relevant dimensions in the hub been accurately measured to ensure full compatibility?
The hesitation under acceleration is almost certainly down to the aftermarket exhaust pipe.
There you go, potential problems identified.
Changing the pipe back to standard would be worthwhile for elimination purposes.
Also, just because I write what someone else doesn't want to read doesn't automatically mean I'm wrong.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. I meant to imply that HawaiiJ wasn't particularly interested in hearing your advice, which should be viewed as his loss, not yours -- especially considering how good the advice you just gave was. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Honest advice is appreciated from anyone.

The exhaust is not the problem, I have swapped back to the factory and the symptom is still present.

MD, i agree, worth checking out the rollers. I suspect the problem is there or with that system.

The wheels are spec"d for the pcx. Same ones powerbypcx sells.

Sorry, but i can't help you with you ladyboy fetish. Not my slice of life.
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

GN2, Relax on the warranty. I looked at it, thankfully the page numbers were in english as for the rest I have sent it to my translator. It did have one comment in english. It said to ignore the off topic comments from GN2 for some reason and life would be happier. Not bad advice.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

HawaiiJ wrote:The exhaust is not the problem, I have swapped back to the factory
If you had mentioned this before I suggested doing so...
HawaiiJ wrote:The wheels are spec"d for the pcx.
"spec'd" by whom? Honda? Manufactured to what standard?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

HawaiiJ wrote:The wheels are spec"d for the pcx.
"spec'd" by whom? Honda? Manufactured to what standard?[/quote]

GN2, does it really matter. Would any correct answer satisfy your curiosity? I seriously doubt it!!

I don't wish to debate anything with you, sort of counter-productive to life in general. There are many things I would prefer; watching the sun rise and set, same for the moon, drink a beer or go for a ride just to name a few.

I've looked at many of you comments over time, some are worthwhile in terms of solid advice to new and old PCX owners on the issue at hand. For that I say thanks. The majority or your posts (in my opinion) are one liners, off topic and for your amusement mostly hoping to initiate a response that you can run with.

For the most part, I mind my own business on this forum. I post about my changes to my PCX along with any issues I may experience when something new happens. I'm not a part of the welcome committee who says "welcome" to every newbie that joins the forum. I do read the forum on a daily basis and look forward to the opportunities I encounter where I can offer an insightful or meaningful response based on my own experience. This is evident by the very low number of posts I have made since joining, there may be a couple of "intended" sublime comical replies but almost all are dead on in terms of the topic being discussed. Most often my responses are long-winded with as much detail I can remember. I don't use someone's topic thread discussion to have an internal discussion that's 100% off topic and unrelated to an OP's subject of discussion.

Enough of my rambling, I have 2 kids that need to go to bed (school night) and bedtime stories to tell. Then I can have a beer and continue this is we must. I really really hope not, I only have 2 beers in the fridge.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I see no reason to "continue this" until you check your rollers! Worn rollers can have a really adverse effect on performance, and since you know the wheels or exhaust aren't causing it, they should be where you look next.

Check if your wheel bearings are good too. My dirt bike wasn't coasting like it should have, and I examined it and found that the front wheel bearings had almost completely frozen, fusing to the wheel casing. I had to dremel them out. o_O
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

User HawaiiJ has made some really fine mods to his PCX150. Thanks for the photos and information. Makes a nice read. The black seat cover looks in my opinion much better than the stock red wine posh installed at factory.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

As much as I enjoy just taking a ride it is getting a bit unhealthy during the smokey season. The annual burning in the region is in full swing and there's not much the government can do about the problem. The Rain Making airplanes are in the process of creating a "Black Hole technique" to reduce the problem but I'm holding out for the rainy season that should start mid April.

Don't laugh--Black Hole Technique; there's no way I could ever make this stuff up on my own. Read if you like, http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 02586.html.

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Wow, that's gross! Also isn't that just adding to the danger of breathing? Now you have smoke, burn particles, + urea. In Florida they have what they call "Control Burning" in the dry season (now) and horrific dense smoke as seen in your photo, fills the air. Planes and helicopters fly overhead dumping water ( :roll: ahh, I think? it's water?) The smoke stinks! Permeate's home venting systems too. Just Horrible! It was sooo irritating to my sinus'. They do it quite often, as long as the dry season lasts.
Oh yeah, I fully get your drift. It's Wrong, so wrong. A killer to breath!
I feel for you :( Try to stay clear, or try loosely securing damp towels around your nose and mouth.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

I try to ride with a filter or one of the local "Ninja" head socks with a padded filter when possible, Here in Chaing Mai they normally burn the remnants of the rice harvest twice a year for the next planting. The rice burn this time of the year lingers with the additional mountain burns that goes on in the mountains by the villagers trying to clear additional planting areas or making the areas optimal for growing mushrooms and such. We also get the some burn impact from neighboring countries Myanmar (Burma) and Laos. There's no real effort to control it unless it endangers populated areas from what I can tell.

Yesterday we had had a reading of nearly 200 ppm and today its only 151. Closer to the Burma border they have had over 400 ppm on some days. When you get burns in Florida you normally can smell smoke a bit easier and they make an effort to control, contain and even prevent fires. Kind of hard to understand unless you been here and there (I'm from Perry if you know where that is).
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Not all bikes here are for enjoyment, many are work horses.

One has quite the overhanging load, the other has 5 bags of ice-3 on the back and 2 being straddled. I guess he's got the closest thing to "Air Con" as one can get on a scooter.

The amazing aspect of this picture is one of the riders have actual shoes. The iceman is wearing flip flops.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

NOTGATT

None of the gear all the time. :P
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Anyone need tires? Comical how things get delivered here, a truck full of Scooter tires-let's go sell some. No idea if they are rejects or specials that slipped out of the back of the manufacturing plant or what. They ride around selling a few until the truck in empty. It's really dangerous early in the delivery trip for the handlers on the back of the truck.

HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

My PCX is approaching 17K (kms) and the rainy season is here and alive in Thailand so I thought it was time to go with as new set of tires. I went with Michelin Pure SC, 150/70-13 on the rear and 120/70-13 on the front. I believe this is the largest size you can get on the rear without changing the geometry on the rear with some sort of swing-arm extension or an elongated swing-arm.

The offset shocks (previous mod), air breather (new mod, 2,000 THB-60 USD) and mods to the rear wheel fender splash (trimmed 1/4 inch from each side) were required to fit the tires.

The drive belt started making a squeaking sound at about 16K and I decided to have it replaced along with the rollers in the drive assembly. The rear brake pads were replaced too. Total cost for drive belt, rollers, rear brake parts and labor was around 1,300 THB about $40USD. The rear brake shoes were just about done and glad I elected to have them replaced when I did.

Only negative was the technician who did the work was lazy and careless when he was working with the lower left body panel and cracked it along with breaking one of the screw mounts. After a interesting discussion, it was agreed the dealer would replace it with no charges.

The main reason for the larger tires was the choice of option (13"). I did not want to go with the IRC MB88 like I had before, a little too aggressive tread pattern and wear tendencies. The ride is nice they seem to do a little better over the speed bumps I have to navigate-less scrubbing and scraping on the undercarriage.

Just to be clear, I'm not posting this to restart the bigger is better, more rubber is better or any of the other scientific/engineering analytical debates we like to have about tires (or tyres as they are called is some parts of the world). Just posting to update the latest on my PCX which was one of the very early units here in Thailand (March 2012).

Ride Safe and enjoy Enjoy!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Thanks for posting. I like the mods. I know some feel leaving things stock is better, but to each his own. I have enjoyed fitting out my PCX to my tastes, particularly at Thai prices. I may have missed it in this thread, but was there a reason you put the OEM muffler back on. I like the look of the stainless one.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

The stainless muffler was a copy made here locally and was done just for a test. At the time I was making quite a few trips exploring Thailand and got concerned that I might be an easy target for the BIBs in some remote area of Thailand. If I had it to do again, I would have bought one of the Takegawa Silent Sport Mufflers because it has some documented gains and retains a stock look without attracting attention.

I'm likely at the end of the road with changes, I plan on riding the PCX for a few years and then getting something else maybe bigger. My PCX has become daily transportation for commuting to school, trips to Immigration and trips to the market. Not many long wandering trips for the near future.

I'm not using the stainless muffler if you want to experiment? Just pay the shipping which can't be too much between here and BKK.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Bigger is better :lol: I'm enjoying my big tires...
No 13" wheels in the US though :| only 14"s
Do you know the width of your 13" rims?
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Not sure on the width. I will try to check it out the next time I'm at the Honda dealer. As for shipping to the US, the folks at powerbypcx are willing to ship anywhere. If you don't want the bling effect you can now get the original styled wheels in size 13" as well.