Seat uncovered

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Seat uncovered

Post by gn2 »

Lowering the seat can be done simply enough by any decent upholsterer.
Sitting stopped with feet up?
That's not what I said.
You'll only become experienced through time and practice.
Time spent away from any traffic doing slow speed manoevers, left turns, right turns, figure of eights, tight serpentines and stop starts for say a couple of hours once a week will be of great benefit.
This is not me being harsh, it's me offering advice and encouragement ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

With time and experience gn2 could learn to be civil, but he'd have to see some value in it first.

I'm not being harsh either.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's certainly value in being civil, which Is why I am.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Urbanian wrote:With time and experience gn2 could learn to be civil, but he'd have to see some value in it first.

I'm not being harsh either.
GN2 is funny, dont take a lot of what he posts so seriously. But he also posts good suggestions. This forum would be dull dull without his and you you's banter !
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

^ Exactly. The line between "encouragement" and being harsh is hard to tell sometimes -- I always just assume GN2 is trying to be nice.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I've ridden many tens of thousands of miles (which really isn't that much, but still) and I can safely say I'd be a lot more comfortable if I could flat-foot. It's not a confidence thing, it's a safety thing. I've almost slipped and dropped my bike because I put my foot down on a painted stripe. I COULD have and SHOULD have anticipated that stop and picked better footing, but I didn't, and almost had to pay the cost for it. It's completely normal to want to flat-foot.

Back on topic though, Indyglow, have you found someone to redo your seat yet?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I took my seat base to a custom plastic shop and told the owner what I was looking for. I wanted the big bubble up front and the two hump posts in the back cut down. He said the best thing would probably be to cut out the whole center part front to back and plastic weld in one solid piece. This would lower everything I want lowered but would let the hinge, latch and seat seal parts intact. He also said that once he starts working on it, he might have to change what he does but the result would still be the same. It will take about two weeks and should cost about $75. When I get the base back I will post pictures. Then it will be off to the upholstery shop to get re-covered. By the way, the seat couldn't be lowered much just by shaving off the foam padding because there wasn't enough foam padding on top of that big front bubble. And I really, really want to be able to put both feet down flat.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Indyglow wrote:I took my seat base to a custom plastic shop and told the owner what I was looking for. I wanted the big bubble up front and the two hump posts in the back cut down. He said the best thing would probably be to cut out the whole center part front to back and plastic weld in one solid piece. This would lower everything I want lowered but would let the hinge, latch and seat seal parts intact. He also said that once he starts working on it, he might have to change what he does but the result would still be the same. It will take about two weeks and should cost about $75. When I get the base back I will post pictures. Then it will be off to the upholstery shop to get re-covered. By the way, the seat couldn't be lowered much just by shaving off the foam padding because there wasn't enough foam padding on top of that big front bubble. And I really, really want to be able to put both feet down flat.

If that's what you want then you put your foot down and do it

Sorry -feet
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

What a terrible pun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

$75 isn't too bad, after upholstery, you'll be out about the same in the end as you would have been with a seat from Thailand, but it'll probably be higher quality.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Indyglow, that sounds like a very good way of tackling the job by creating the one piece and then (maybe) shaping it from there. I too feel (am) more confident riding when I can flatfoot both feet. No question in my mind, that 2 are better than 1 safety wise too. I have come from 26" to nearly 32" seat heights on previous cycles and scooters I've owned, the lower #'s suit me best and the joy of riding without "that" concern makes me a happy camper! Sounds like You will feel the same way after 2-3 weeks have passed! I'm excited for you and anxious to hear your progress updates. :P (pics are good too ;)

you you....."put your foot down" That made me laugh. Only you, crazy you :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

you you wrote:If that's what you want then you put your foot down and do it.
----------------
This phrase was previously unknown to me. I looked it up here and it makes sense. A day not learning a new expression is a day wasted.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When putting your foot down it's best to do it with a firm hand :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Amazing and timely. Got this in email today. (wish I did this!)
two feet down.jpg
two feet down.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^^ ouu....that came out BIG (sorry) :oops:

:D gn2, I recall that technique, so does me bum :o
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

khaosaming wrote:
you you wrote:If that's what you want then you put your foot down and do it.
----------------
This phrase was previously unknown to me. I looked it up here and it makes sense. A day not learning a new expression is a day wasted.
Agree. Here's another: "You" are cool! 8)
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I've had a couple of close calls when stopping and only putting one foot down. Once at a pump where I forgot about the diesel spill underfoot (I just managed to wedge my foot against the raised plinth but it was a close thing) and also right outside my house on loose chippings (wearing totally unsuitable footwear it has to be said). I'm a rider of 40 years experience and still manage to get things wrong on occasion. I'm not comfortable mounting the scooter without the sidestand down but some people are happy taking it off the mainstand and then throwing a leg across. I think it's my age. If your more comfortable stopping with both feet down then that's the way to go. I hope you enjoy your PCX Indyglow, and have fun learning the basics to keep you safe.
You've made a wonderful choice of ride,

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Amazing and timely. Got this in email today. (wish I did this!)
two feet down.jpg

Gn2s car earlier today :)

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Funny, but I thought the Hillman Imp was Sotlands only car? Aren't they voting for independence soon, then Wales will be next;)
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

Here is my seat base after coming back from the custom plastic shop. Top side.
tn_custom pcx seat 005.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 005.JPG (17.42 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
tn_custom pcx seat 004.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 004.JPG (18.83 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Underside.
tn_custom pcx seat 003.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 003.JPG (21.14 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Top side.
tn_custom pcx seat 001.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 001.JPG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
tn_custom pcx seat 002.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 002.JPG (19.44 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
It cost $80 plus $5.60 tax (US dollars) Tomorrow it will be off to the upholstery shop. Because I really, REALLY, want to be able to put both feet down flat when I stop.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Taz wrote:Funny, but I thought the Hillman Imp was Sotlands only car?
AC, Sunbeam, Singer, Argyll, Arrol-Johnson, Albion, Hillman and the bodywork of Volvo's only sexy car ever, the P1800, was manufactured here.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:) Thanx for sharing your pics! step one done, onto step 2. I'm hoping this works out for you and it's fit on your PCX (seal, closure, etc). This is quite a change. Watching this thread with both feet down and fingers crossed ;)