Dealer Service ...... or not?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Dealer Service ...... or not?

Post by tomtic »

Okay, my second service (2500 miles) will be due in about 5 weeks time, and the PCX is only five months old. I have a two year warranty, and the dealer did the first service (cost me £50).
The second service is likely to cost around £100-£150, but this will not include the valve check (Honda have apparently agreed with the dealer that checking the valves every 2500 miles is not necessary - the dealer now checks them at 7500 miles). The service manual schedule says that even the oil is not changed at the second service, so I'm frustrated that, just for the sake of the dealer stamp to keep the warranty, I have to pay out like this.
I'm not a qualified mechanic, but have nearly always serviced my previous bikes myself. I can buy all the service items (oil, sparkplug, air filter, o ring) for just £19.99 on fleabay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-scooter ... 416b12eaf7

Which are all genuine Honda parts, from a Honda dealer.
I reckon that the money saved from doing my own servicing, will pay for any parts that may need replacing 'under warranty' which will be invalidated as I will not have had the servicing done by a VAT-registered dealer.
Has anybody else gone down this road? And how have you fared?
Thanks for any (helpful!!) advice.
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Dealer Service ...... or not?

Post by Anfield800 »

£100 - £150.m o_O

I'd be very tempted to do it myself but then I'd worry about the warranty.

Decisions, decisions.
More than two wheels is too many.

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I discussed this issue with my dealer before booking it in and agreed at another $80 service (around 50 quid) with oil change (even though not necessary) but without valve checking. Everyone is happy and I get the warranty stamp.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You'll only have 18 months warrant left. Nothings gone wrong in the first quarter. Service it yourself. Cheaper and better quality
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Does self serve void the warranty? Have not actually read it, but on my kymco it did not.at least not for simple things like oil changes and valve adjustments.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

At 2500 miles I wouldn't bother with anything other than a oil change either

It's only a scooter with an single cylinder engine that isn't a huge amount more complicated than a ditch pump
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Dudley wrote:Does self serve void the warranty? Have not actually read it, but on my kymco it did not.at least not for simple things like oil changes and valve adjustments.
Most of the folks above are outside the USA, where warranties can be ridiculous (particularly in the UK).

The warranty is supposed to still be valid in the US for the first year, even with you doing your own maintenance.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Hi Mate
for me i service it myself,I change the oil every 4 months some will say thats overkill but for what its costs it not an issue for me,my local dealer is very good and the couple of minor issues ive had ive simply emailed the pics and the dealer takes care of the rest without any warranty issues. thats just my case im sure others are different, i also do other checks,cleaning and lubing as well. it been good for me over the years without any major issues and obv. saved on £50+/hour labour costs,there is bugger all oil in these and are really quiet easy to work on inc the belt ,variator etc. i also quite enjoy doing as much as i can myself knowing its done right........good luck with whatever you choose to do
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Thanks very much everyone for your help. Think I'll be doing my own servicing from now on then. Besides being far cheaper, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's been done properly.
Tom
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yey. Result
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

trigg123 wrote:Hi Mate
for me i service it myself,I change the oil every 4 months some will say thats overkill but for what its costs it not an issue for me,my local dealer is very good and the couple of minor issues ive had ive simply emailed the pics and the dealer takes care of the rest without any warranty issues. thats just my case im sure others are different, i also do other checks,cleaning and lubing as well. it been good for me over the years without any major issues and obv. saved on £50+/hour labour costs,there is bugger all oil in these and are really quiet easy to work on inc the belt ,variator etc. i also quite enjoy doing as much as i can myself knowing its done right........good luck with whatever you choose to do
Yes it's good fun too. You'll be picking up skills on a bike that's pretty easy to work on. Result