Brake Rotor Condition

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: White

Brake Rotor Condition

Post by Chris753 »

Hey! I have a 2018 PCX W/ 11,800 miles on it.

I noticed the pads are getting low I think they could start metal on metal contact in the next few rides.

I just wanted a second opinion on the brake rotor condition, before deciding if I want to do a pad slap or full tear down.
The rotor looks okay, however does have some grooving to it...
Attachments
IMG_20200915_08502296228.jpg
IMG_20200915_08502296228.jpg (249.37 KiB) Viewed 792 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Brake Rotor Condition

Post by fish »

Your new brake pads will mate up just fine with that disc in a few miles.
IMHO
Fish
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

And the groves increase the brake surface aria ;)
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

fish wrote:Your new brake pads will mate up just fine with that disc in a few miles.
IMHO
Fish
Old Scoot wrote:And the groves increase the brake surface aria ;)
Thank you both very much!

I felt the same but I always value second opinions to keep myself in check!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Not quite 12,000 miles on the bike and your front pads need to be changed already??

I have two 2013 models, and the one with the most miles is only half-way through the pads at 13,000 miles. You don't have your location in your profile, so I can't comment on the conditions you ride in, but that much wear usually means that you are braking hard alot instead of using engine braking. You might consider checking your rear drum as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

Mel46 wrote:Not quite 12,000 miles on the bike and your front pads need to be changed already??

I have two 2013 models, and the one with the most miles is only half-way through the pads at 13,000 miles. You don't have your location in your profile, so I can't comment on the conditions you ride in, but that much wear usually means that you are braking hard alot instead of using engine braking. You might consider checking your rear drum as well.
I agree Mel! I just recently bought the PCX, so I don't know about previous rider's braking, but overall the PCX is in good condition.

I was just as surprised to see the brake pads low at the dealership like you. Thankfully I caught it and was able to bring it up in pricing.
I unfortunately ran over a tiny piece of wire and had to replaced the rear tire, but the drum brakes looked okay. I would say probably around 50% still left back there.

I am guesstimating that maybe someone rode it around in the city and was hard on the front brake vs the rear(?)

I live out in Arkansas, and I ride out in the 'suburbs' and rural-ish roads just for fun, so hopefully the new set will last a long time.
I too have noted the substantial engine braking on the PCX...quite good! I am still adjusting, have to be careful in U turns, I find if I give it a bump of throttle, it can really pickup on me.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Where I can I go easy on braking, mostly using engine braking to help slow down, but I had to change the pads once so far and the bubble level has gone down a bit but is still high with the steering pointing forwards.

London traffic, people pulling out or crossing lanes and traffic lights every few 100 meters in many places.

Probably need to change them again nearer to 30000 miles (now on about 23,0000)
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Lots of hills here in San Francisco (understatement) and my little PCX is used solely in the City. This place is hard on brakes and clutches, so I do keep an eye on both.