Do I need to top off brake fluid?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Do I need to top off brake fluid?

Post by op3l »

Hello again

My brake master cynlinder resevoir has this LWP marking with a line and a circle window. I noticed today the fluid inside is only about at the LWP line, and going down inclines the fluid would disappear completely. I checked with a local honda tech service place, and the guy looked at it and said it was fine?

I'm worried cause I don't want it to get too low to where air could get into the lines.

So do i need to top it off some wiht some dot 4 fluid? If I do, what's the "full" line?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Do I need to top off brake fluid?

Post by iceman »

Usually it's not the fluid leaking but indication the front pads are nearly worn - best check them. My fluid indication went low and I found it was basically metal on metal with no friont pads left! When new ones are fitted (you can do it yourself), you need to not press and brake levers, push the pistons in so there is enough gap to get the new thick pads to seat around the disc.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

iceman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:56 am Usually it's not the fluid leaking but indication the front pads are nearly worn - best check them. My fluid indication went low and I found it was basically metal on metal with no friont pads left! When new ones are fitted (you can do it yourself), you need to not press and brake levers, push the pistons in so there is enough gap to get the new thick pads to seat around the disc.
+1. The sighted level will also change if the brake lever's positioning on the handlebar is is rotated .... for instance if the lever is rotated upwards the master cylinder rotates with it & the sight level is thus effected.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

Ah, got ya. I've been getting a slightly grinding sensation when I brake hard but I attributed it to sand as i've been riding it off road to get to where I need to in a construction place.

I'll go get it checked at the shop.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

iceman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:56 am Usually it's not the fluid leaking but indication the front pads are nearly worn - best check them. My fluid indication went low and I found it was basically metal on metal with no friont pads left! When new ones are fitted (you can do it yourself), you need to not press and brake levers, push the pistons in so there is enough gap to get the new thick pads to seat around the disc.
I went to get it checked out, and pad situation was basically same as your, only a thin thin bit of material left. Change it and now it's all good.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Thanks for the feedback !!!