to AVOID on the road

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Re: to AVOID on the road

Post by haildamage »

edge traps
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Here in Thailand you should avoid potholes, especially when it's dark. Moreover, you should beware of stray dogs and ghost riders with no lights on. Overtaking cars cannot effectively be avoided, but should be watched in the rear mirror.

I have stumbled into a snake crossing the road a few times. Once I rode one over on my motorbike (I used to have a Honda Phantom 200). Another time there was a cobra right there in its combat stance. I had to stop and wait until it calmed down and went on. The road was really narrow and I dared not overtake.

A third time I saw what was a dead man on the road. It was dark, he had obviously no rear lights and got crashed. The poor fellow's hat and flip-flops were in the middle of the road. The man with his motorbike was on the shoulder.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

khaosaming wrote:A third time I saw what was a dead man on the road. It was dark, he had obviously no rear lights and got crashed. The poor fellow's hat and flip-flops were in the middle of the road. The man with his motorbike was on the shoulder.
o_O Did you call the police or anything? Poor guy...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

^
I was riding my Honda Phantom with my wife on the pillion. We stopped, of course, but as soon as we did that there was a pick-up truck that came out of the blue and collected the body. They were in no hurry, so I thought he must have been dead already. They told us there was no need for us to do anything. My wife wanted to hit the road and not get involved any deeper. I was afraid that we could be hit by oncoming cars, too, if we stayed longer. It was all dark and the road (Chanthaburi-Makham-Sa Kaeo) had very heavy traffic as usual. That road is notorious and the speeds are high.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Under the same circumstances, I would have done the same thing. There wasn't anything more you could have done.

At least you didn't have to watch him die, that's a horrible thing to experience. :(

Think he hit a pothole, or did he just lose control and end up going down?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

maddiedog wrote:Think he hit a pothole, or did he just lose control and end up going down?
-----------------
I think it was a hit-and-run situation. I suppose there was a car, or two cars, overtaking simultaneously from opposite directions. One of those cars must have given way so as not to get hit themselves. This man with the motorbike with possibly no lights could have been caught in the middle, invisible, on the shoulder. That's the best guess I can think of. There was nobody on the scene, so who ever did it must have fled and never cared to check. Hit-and-run accidents are pretty commonplace here.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well one thing to avoid here in Georgia are the cars with no brake lights. There seem to be lots of those. It is as though once they buy the car they think they shouldn't have to do anything else to it until the day it quits completely...and then they wonder why it quits. Also avoid the 'soccer moms'. They are in a hurry to pick up their kids or go to a game and they don't care who they happen to run over to get there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BattlebornScooterist

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

I also advocate avoiding the white lines and stripes, especially when wet.

Sand or loose gravel is not my friend either. 8)
Curators do it Historically!
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I hate it when I sneeze on the inside of the shield of my helmet. It's bad enough when I see a beautiful girl and I breathe hard in my helmet and I steam up. But it is worse, far worse, when I sneeze a mouth and nose load all over the inside of my otherwise clean, clear shield. I hate when that happens.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ good one :lol: May I add pollen, cause that ain't no fun behind the screen either. A roll of sneezing? Not good
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

former50cc wrote:I hate it when I sneeze on the inside of the shield of my helmet. It's bad enough when I see a beautiful girl and I breathe hard in my helmet and I steam up. But it is worse, far worse, when I sneeze a mouth and nose load all over the inside of my otherwise clean, clear shield. I hate when that happens.
I've never had that happen in years of riding
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:
former50cc wrote:when I see a beautiful girl and I breathe hard in my helmet and I steam up
I've never had that happen in years of riding
Clearly you should move. It rains so much where you are that the boobs stay hidden under raincoats all year.

It's summer here, the breasts have come out for the season. Ah, I love summer. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Ah yes, puppy season.

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Ah yes, puppy season.

I'm in love!!
Lynny74

Post by Lynny74 »

JGC wrote:Here in the UK avoid the metal manhole covers, also at this time of year the farmers seem to be putting most of their fields onto the roads too!!

Def metal man hole covers, which in Birmingham always always seem to be on bends!

White lines or arrow when it's really cold are a bit worry some.

Oh and car drivers who think it's ok to text while driving and don't think they should stop just because they suddenly find themselves driving on the white line down the middle of the road.

We can see you texting idiots!
Lynny

White Honda PCX Owner

hondapcx.tumbler.com

Code: Select all

www.blueeyescomputersuk.co.uk
Lynny74

Post by Lynny74 »

gn2 wrote:Ah yes, puppy season.

I am beginning to think this is a male dominated forum !
Lynny

White Honda PCX Owner

hondapcx.tumbler.com

Code: Select all

www.blueeyescomputersuk.co.uk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Not really, girls like big boobs too you know ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by siplumb »

I was going to write something about that particular lady and bumpy roads on a PCX but thought better of it......
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The only thing I think about when I see her is, poor woman. Imagine having to haul those around all the time. Imagine trying to find clothes that fit. I bet her back hurts all the time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

On the upside if she has a baby that will be one well fed bub.