Outdoor storage

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Outdoor storage

Post by siplumb »

All,

I've had my pcx125 for just over a year and it's stored outside both at home and work. I've got an Oxford cover for it which does seem to give it good protection but I'm a bit concerned about shortening it's lifespan by not having it in a garage. Anyone else store theirs outside? Can you put a paranoid new riders mind at rest that it's fine or do I need somekind of bike store/box outside? I'm hopefully having the drive done soon so now would be the time to think whether I just ask the builder to sink a decent anchor into the drive or make room for a box/shed to put it in.. In the NW of England if it makes any difference to weather advice ;)
Cheers!
ashraf64

Outdoor storage

Post by ashraf64 »

Hi mate

I'm in London and severely short on real estate as you can imagine!

At home my PCX stays parked on the road with a cheapo cover from Argos over it. At work I leave it parked in the NCP in the city which has its bike bays exposed to the elements.
Been like this for well over year now and haven't noticed any side effects like rust or fading paintwork.

I would think the harsher winters up north may mean you need to have a decent cover over it when left for long periods but other than that you should be ok.

I was in Liverpool yesterday and the weather was gawjus!! Hope you're getting some miles clocked up.

Ash
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Outdoor storage

Post by gn2 »

Mine has been stored outside since October 2010.
For nearly all of that time it has been uncovered.
(got fed up fannying around with the cover, much easier to just get on and go)
No adverse effect whatsoever.
Wash it regularly and it'll be fine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

My PCX has spent it's life outside since June 2012. It is covered by an Oxford rain cover, for keeping prying eyes away more than anything. Apart from a little rust on the brake disc rotor it's fine. I find that regular use is your best friend as moisture can build up under the cover anyway.Better to keep the PCX áired'. In winter road salt can be washed away, you just need to find the the time for a regular wash down.

Bill
Image[/URL
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by siplumb »

Cheers all,

That's quite reassuring. After a year I'm still managing my new rider resolution of giving it a wash every weekend, and its my daily commute bike so regular use is covered.. Consider my paranoid mind calmed!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Don't be using a pressure washer and remember to do behind its ears and between its toes.

Seriously though, pay particular attention to the fork tubes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by siplumb »

cheers, I was tempted with a pressure washer at first but think I saw one of your posts a little while ago on another thread....
ashraf64

Outdoor storage

Post by ashraf64 »

Gn2

What in particular should one look for on the fork tubes? I've never paid any extra attention to them actually and am now worried I'm overseeing something potentially damaging.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Just keep the chrome bits clean, don't allow road salt or grime to accumulate on them.
If they get rusty and pitted it will damage the fork seals.
The only cures are new fork tubes or have them ground and rechromed, neither of which is a cheap job.
Once you've washed them and they're dry use the Fred Dibnah technique, give them a quick wipe with an oily rag. ;)
ashraf64

Outdoor storage

Post by ashraf64 »

Cheers
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Gn2's tip is sound. I learned that valuable lesson when I owned a Spanish (Montessa) built Honda SLR650. New forks certainly aint cheap.

Bill
Image[/URL
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

My PCX just had its silencer changed under warranty because it was rusting away. I didn't use it much, nor did my other half. The scooter usually sits in a locked garage and got less than 800 miles on the clock when the change happened. Not only was the silencer rusting, but also the other metal parts had white superficial rust on them, plus there seems to be a leak in the rear as the rear brake bracket looks "wet". After a wash down I cleaned the rust away with ATF - 50 and that should sort it out I've been told by the dealer. Even considering its in a closed garage with not much ventilation I have to say that I am surprised, as I keep it clean and certainly did I not ride it in snow or ice (road salt).