The Extended Warranty Question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I will be picking up my new PCX150 on Monday. During final payment discussions, the offer of the store's extended warranty came up. It adds four years to the standard one year, and seems to cover the obvious major pitfalls. The cost is $480. I went for it, but have the right to decline it when I pick up the scoot.

Their interesting twist is that, if I do not make a warranty claim, they will give me back the $480 at the end of the five years. I can do my own oil changes and it will have no effect on the coverage. I'm not sure about performing other services myself, but I do hope to keep this little guy for quite a while. Their shop rate is $90/hr, so it would not take much of a repair for the warranty to pay for itself. They will also pick the scoot up at my home if it needs work, or within 25 miles of one of their dealerships should I be stranded within range (and during working hours, I presume).

I usually figure that an extended warranty is better for the dealer than the consumer, but that give-back offer throws a wrench into my usual logic. I'm very happy to discover a message board of enthusiasts, and I'm looking forward to the variety of opinions that I hope will be offered.

Should I go for it, or let it go by?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: The Extended Warranty Question

Post by gn2 »

Tell them yes you'll have it but want the arrangement to be that you keep your $480 and don't pay them unless you make a claim within the five years.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

You can probably get the warranty for a little less than the amount proposed by the dealership. The Honda USA site lists the 4 yr Honda Protection Plan with roadside at $450 ($350 without). I got my 4 yr Honda Protection Plan extension for $175 from the dealer (w/o roadside). Enjoy your new PCX. It's an awesome scooter!
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

gn2 wrote:Tell them yes but you will only agree to it if you keep your $480 and don't pay them unless you make a claim within the five years.
X2. This is the only way to sign up for it. ;)
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

gn2's idea is great, but I expect that they would decline my offer.

My thoughts in favor are that this is a new model scooter and engine, and I don't want to be a part of a first model year design issue. My thoughts against are that the dealer has years of data on repair frequency and costs and warranty claims to work with, and should be able to easily make money based on statistics (it is a HUGE dealer - five storefronts and over 5000 unit sales annually).

They did offer the warranty at $430 but without the return clause. I'm going to ask them about my being able to decline a warranty repair in the event of a small ($200, say) problem cropping up four years in. It might be worthwhile to cover it myself and get the cash back.

The 125 has been out a couple of years; has that been at all prone to any costly problems?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

did you ever notice that when you buy something new, the sales person always pushes the extended warranty???? that's where they make their money, from the extended warranty and the accessories. you actually have the option of purchasing the extended warranty up until the regular warranty ends.
personally, if feel that if you purchased a lemon (and you will know that real quick) then it is time to buy the extended warranty. hope that gives you something more to consider before you make your decision. ScooterKim
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

GeorgeSK wrote:
My thoughts in favor are that this is a new model scooter and engine, and I don't want to be a part of a first model year design issue.

The 125 has been out a couple of years; has that been at all prone to any costly problems?

Your rationale is not valid. The 150cc engine is a variation of the already proven 125cc engine. There are no major issues with this engine unless you factor in the center stand being mounted to the engine block. A few have been broken due to not being mounted to the frame.

Also the Honda engineers are pretty good at what they do.

Also this is why you buy a Honda scooter and not a cheap Chinese scooter.

However, if you still have anxiety over this then yes, you should purchase an extended warranty. ;)
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The extended warranty is a waste. The PCX engine is rock-solid, they don't fail under normal circumstances. :)

The only engine failures I've heard of were from someone intentionally neglecting the first service ("it is still under warranty!") and from Snoopy's engine throwing a rod (http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=526). The former failure was from gross neglect, the latter from extreme usage, and likely gross neglect as well... You can't take a scooter through creek crossings repeatedly and not expect it to grenade itself eventually.

My engine block failed in the first few months from the centerstand mounts being defective. The basic warranty covered it 100%. If it had not, I would have just removed the centerstand and only used the kickstand. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

My initial post was intended to highlight the idea that if you make a claim, the claim will see your $480 off down the swannee, so it's only worth having if any claim is over $480
$480 buys you a lot of repairs...
Think of it this way, you walk into a shop and are told by the salesman how good the product is, great quality, very reliable etc.
Once you commit to purchase the salesman now does a u-turn and says but would you like to spend some more money (on this top quality reliable product?) in case it breaks?
It just doesn't add up.
The PCX is a basic single cylinder machine, as Maddie says pretty much bulletproof so long as you do the servicing properly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Keep the cash and if something terminal happens to the bike use the $480 to pay someone to torch it and get a new one on the insurance.
#onlyjoking
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I extended my warranty by one year at the time of delivery and regret it. It just forces you to pay for 6 monthly dealer servicing for 2 more times than necessary!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

sound too good to be true that you get an extended warranty but can get the money back if you dont make a claim. read the fine print very carefully!
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

haildamage wrote:sound too good to be true that you get an extended warranty but can get the money back if you dont make a claim. read the fine print very carefully!
That's the way my dealer explained it to me. He also said that if you join the Honda Rider Club, they would reimburse a portion of your MSF course fee. I haven't checked into that yet.

Don
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We purchased the extended warranty even though we doubted that we would use it. I know that sounds strange but because the 150 had just come out we wanted to make sure there weren't any unknowns. The fact that we could get our money back if we didn't use it was also good. I know that they will use the money before returning it but I think of it as a comfort thing.....and yes, the center stand issue was something I had thought about before purchasing it. We baby our scooters but I'm not sure how to wash the undersides of them, so I haven't done anything to the undersides. I have heard multiple times not to use a pressure wash on the scooters, so how do you clean the underside so that the center stand problem won't occur ??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Servicing is so expensive i will never have a new scooter again, plus fixing up/servicing and learning about your vehicle is actually fun. For my next bike i'll get something thats just out of warranty so its cheap and let someone else pay out all the servicing costs. Seen a few very cheap S-Wings out there!

I think in 5 years your more likely to have it stolen or dropped than something break thats under warranty, personally i would go for 'gap insurance' instead, then your properly covered.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we are now key-carrying member of the PCX club. Pick the new baby up this morning. There was a downpour while we did final paperwork and plating, but the roads dried up pretty well for my ride home. I'm thinking this is going to be a great deal of fun, and my commute home may not be a direct as it has been in the past.

We decided against the money back extended warranty. I figure that if I actually need to use the 1 year warranty, then I can pony up the money for the standard Honda Protection plan (or the dealer's... jump off that bridge when I come to it), so long as I do it before the 1 year expires. If I don't need any warranty work, then indeed the machine is as bulletproof as a number of this board's members think, and I've saved a fair buck or two.

The center bracket thing is a bit of a concern, but the posting of the assembly suggests that it would be quite easy to pull the cotter pin, release the spring, pull the pivot axle, and give it a fingerful of waterproof lithium grease (or something like that). From the diagram, simply spraying with lubricant will not really get the goods where they need to get (unless one was to lay the machine on its side to allow the lubricant to flow down the axle - not something I want to do right now). BTW - I would not depend on WD-40 as a long term lubricant; that really is not its purpose. The WD stands for water displacement. Yes, the squeeking stops, but not for very long.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:so how do you clean the underside so that the center stand problem won't occur ??
The centre stand problem is not due to lack of washing it is down to cheap and nasty design and failure to lubricate the pivot adequately.
To wash the undersides use the same method as used for cleaning the topsides.