Hi Visibiliy and being seen!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxjojo

Hi Visibiliy and being seen!!

Post by pcxjojo »

Hi all! Has anyone added LED lighting to their PCX? I 'm considering it. A few mornings ago just after sunrise I was heading out to school/ work when a friend of mine nearly pulled out of a QT mart right in front of me. I was using high beams and dressed in a white armored jacket but that was it. He said he didn't see me but he was also kind of peeling out as well. Just knew he wasn't going to stop so I slowed and started breaking just to make sure and avoid him. That afternoon I went and bought an Olympia Neon Yellow vest and have a hi viz yellow helmet on order but am considering adding some reflective decals and LED lighting to the frame in a few places. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Hi Visibiliy and being seen!!

Post by dustin91 »

Jojo, I added some strips of 3M red reflective tape along the panels which blend in quite nicely during the day - it's a pretty close-enough color match. Beyond that, I haven't really done any riding after dusk. I've definitely seen other pics here where people have added LED lights around top boxes, though I wouldn't know how to wire those.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

The dealer kindly added a license plate frame with advertising (natch) that covers up the reflector on the rear fender but that also has the nonremoveable inspection sticker. (Grrr). I added reflective tape to cover up the ad.

Hope to also add an LED brake light supplement and some LED hazard lights.

You've been a rider for at least a while, Jojo, so I'm sure you realize that some folks just won't see you no matter how bright your clothing or your lights are. Like the lady I saw yesterday, 10 mph under the speed limit, not quite staying in her lane. Saw her at a stoplight later, head down, texting.

Ride like you're invisible. Because you are.

Best,
Bash On!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I am simply assuming that I am invisible. The Admiral and I have matching hi-viz helmets (modeled by Scooter-Dog at left), and both have Mil-spec hi-viz vests (mine a Joe Rocket, hers a Fly). There really is not much you can do about distracted or self-absorbed drivers except assume the worst and ride accordingly. During the daylight, there just is no more that you can do than look like a bumble bee, ride super-defensively, and hope for the best.

I was wondering during a night ride about maybe a small led flashlight on the handlebars aimed at my chest to pick up the reflectives on the vest, just to add a bit of shape above the headlight. The tail light modulator that was described in a post a while back seems light an interesting idea as well. I don't think adding effect LED's around the frame or boxes would really help very much since they would only be visible from the side, at which point things are already going down hill.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

George great idea about the flashlight! I'm gonna try that out tonight. Also thanks to all for the input. You are right; I have been riding a long time and I am invisible.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have led lights on our tailbox and a 'knight rider' sequential light above the license plate, but that doesn't help when other drivers don't look or even care about others. We even wear hi-vis vests, for what that is worth. Last night we were out and a driver two lanes over, in the inside turn lane, decided he wanted to go straight when the light changed, so he did. He almost hit us but we slammed on our brakes at the last minute. There were rubber posts up to define the single lane that was straight only and to separate it from the oncoming lane. He ran over the posts and kept on going. What good would extra led lights have done in that case? You are more aware because you don't have protection around you, but there are egotistical a#% holes out there who would hit a car if it got in their way. Just drive as though you are invisible, because you are to some people.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I really wanted the white PCX not only for its looks, but for its visibility. Unfortunately, its not available here in the states. So I'm gonna get the black PCX which also looks sharp...but um...isn't exactly the most visible color.

I'll definitely be adding some reflective tape. But Im gonna swap out my black helmet for a nice white one. Besides keeping my noggin a bit cooler in the summer sun, it'll also be more visible to drivers. I want a modular design, and the neotec, although expensive, fit me the best.

Again, like others here have said, you could have the most visible bike on the road - painted bright fluorescent yellow with blinking neon lights and reflective tape....and its still no substitute for being alert & riding defensively.

Happy & safe riding! :-)
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

The one thing that worries me most are drivers who TEXT in their cars. Here on Long Island NY, its INSANE how many people I see on their friggin dumbphones while driving! It pisses me off! If I'm walking and they pass by me, I yell at them and slap their hood.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

They probably didn't notice you slapping their car because they are so caught up in their social world. Here in Georgia the number of idiot, unobservant drivers has increased dramatically over the years. Coincidentally, so have the number of New York drivers living here! Hmmm....that would be an interesting chart. I wonder if anyone has charted that yet??!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:They probably didn't notice you slapping their car because they are so caught up in their social world. Here in Georgia the number of idiot, unobservant drivers has increased dramatically over the years. Coincidentally, so have the number of New York drivers living here! Hmmm....that would be an interesting chart. I wonder if anyone has charted that yet??!

I havent
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Its no joke. People who text & drive are an accident waiting to happen. Its inevitable. I mean before texting, motorcyclists were in danger...now its like open season on us. Seriously.
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

My husband is installing a VERY loud horn on his BMW K1600 and I'm hoping to put one on my Spyder and the PCX. I've never thought the horn on the Can Am was loud enough.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I was just now looking at a newly listed Stebel air horn with wire harness for sale here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic120276 Price seems pretty good and they say it's in packaging :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

I covered my PCX in LEDs about 3 months ago to make me more visible ready for winter.

Might have slightly overdone it to be honest but there's no way someone can say they ''didn't see me'', well worth doing!

I'll post some photos when i get round to it...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:I was just now looking at a newly listed Stebel air horn with wire harness for sale here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic120276 Price seems pretty good and they say it's in packaging :P
I've generally put a Stebel on my main bike and cars if the have a weedy horn. It looks good on the boxer cup. Very OE.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

This PIAA horn interests me -- https://www.denniskirk.com/214978.sku?u ... medium=cse
It appears to be fairly small and doesn't require installation of a separate relay.
115db would be NICE!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

Well I added about a dozen reflective butterfly decals to my black PCX this afternoon. They sure are BRIGHT so I hope they help me out. In the daylight they are red so they look nice. Got them from purpleharley.com.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Here's a site with many interesting reflective stickers!
http://www.reflectiglow.com/catalog/pop ... ovhjpsq0o2
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Here is a source for reflective pinstriping!
http://www.reflectivedecals.com/stripes.htm
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

I have the hi-vis neon yellow helmet, and jacket. I installed the back off brake modulator, and also have (not yet installed) neon yellow led body lights...I ride to work in daylight, and home in dark. So far no real close calls, but it is crucial to expect every intersection to have an idiot who is not paying attention and I mentally prepare a plan if someone pulls out. I am just wondering what I will do if a deer comes across- I commute in rural west GA- so very real possibility.