Forza 300 - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

garrup

Post by garrup »

Another old guy on a scooter. This one in Canada. The weather here has come up with the odd day that is nice enough to go for a ride, so i picked up the Forza (which i had bought 3 months ago) from the dealer.
Yeah, it was a long wait. This was the first scooter i have ever ridden, and the experience is pretty much as i had hoped.
My first impression was how well a single cylinder 280cc engine can propel me and the heavy machine down the road. Many long years ago i rode all kinds of motorcycles and i can remember a single cylinder 441 BSA Shooting Star i owned that would have been embarrassed in a showdown with this unassuming scooter.
I am a bit over six feet tall and have mixed impressions about how well the Forza fits me. I have no problems with the knee/leg room. The seat is comfy and i find the scoot controls well from the almost vertical rider position. I do notice, however, that i want to scoot back a bit more on the seat, but can't do so. I would like to stretch my upper body a bit forward of my butt (traditional motorcycle position) at times in order to relax back muscles. But that comfy back seat ridge is there to stop me. This may be no problem for a younger man, but for someone nudging 70, and with chronic back pain........ well, you see what i mean.
Touching on power again, the bike just feels good. It feels, in fact, like it wants to get out and stretch its legs at highway speeds. The smooth acceleration, from a standing start and down the length of a city block, brings a huge smile to my face. You can feel quick, smooth efficient work the belt is doing climbing up the variator, and doing it without the need of any annoying shifting work from the rider or power interruption to the engine.
I was quite pleased as to how well it runs through the curves, doing so in a predictable and confidence building manner, leaning well over without any surprises, and pulling strongly out when you are ready.
The shorty fairing/wind screen works amazingly well. I had worried that, especially since i am a bit tall, that the wind blast would be a problem. I remember it always being so on motorcycles. But this thing seems to tunnel through the air and i have no problem at highway speeds with either frontal blast, turbulence, or side wind. Quite amazing.
The only thing i am fussing with at the moment is the ignition switch. On a couple of occasions i was unable to effect the key position that would unlatch the seat. Maybe that's just me, we'll see.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Forza 300 - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Post by skuuter »

WELCOME to the Forum from a "61", soon to be "62" Fellow Old Guy.....I owned 2 Triumph 441 Victors, a BSA Gold Star Single and many, many assorted 650-750 Triumph and BSA Twins and Triples.....glad You're liking Your Forza....Yep, amazing how far Scooters have come in handling, speed, braking, and technology....Post often..... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My key/lock get sticky too sometimes, it lives outdoors, wd40 helps a bit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Spray graphite is good for sticky locks. Locksmiths recommend it rather than a liquid as it doesn't attract dirt so easily.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ambersil-grap ... cant-n68jb
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the forums. What part of Canada are you from?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
garrup

Post by garrup »

.........i'm posting from southern Alberta, near Medicine Hat. The prairies are no joke when it comes to weather, so I can't reliably plan on riding the scooter until well into May. Last year there was no real spring to speak of, even May was bad, then summer appeared suddenly the first of June. Lets hope this year is better.
The weather can change here overnight, sometimes by as much as 50d. May can easily provide a heavy snowfall. The only reliable month without snow or frost is July. I've seen snow and frost in every other month. It is ALWAYS windy, and you know how that puts a damper on things.
So you have to be crazy to spend big money on a bike here, but who ever accused two wheel riders of being sane. You got to be out on the edge a bit. That's living.
Yesterday was a bonus day. We were expecting it to be winterish, but it was warm enough to take the Forza for a short jaunt. That's enough to get my blood flowing for another week.
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

Poke around for 'seat mods' for the Forza. Trevster did one for the same reason you mentioned, and picked up enough room that his issue went away. He paid about $60 to have an upholsterer rework the back-rest, and picked up some room. Worth a shot. Enjoy the ride! You're in great company on this forum.
garrup

Post by garrup »

.........thanks, i'll look into it. $60 is a great price, but i expect it will be more than double that here in Canada. It seems everything is these days.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

It's an easy mod and the upholsterer requires no specific scooter knowledge. He just removes the external seat pad cover,cuts down the existing foam and replaces cover again. Hey presto!

You are only paying for his time as no materials are required.