How a CVT works - youtube

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

How a CVT works - youtube

Post by iceman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
May be of interest - perhaps not :)
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How a CVT works - youtube

Post by homey »

Absolutely brilliant for motorbikes! but look at the haters when they put these in automobiles. Love the technology and if we want this in our cars it needs to be a steel belted CVT for sure. I cant imagine how complicated my Volvo transmission is and this would be an inexpensive design if it lasted longer in a car. Great video explanation, I wonder if our PCX CVT's are anything similar.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Yup, exactly like that. Changing the diameter of the the 2 pulleys changes the gear rations. basically an infinite number of combination of rations. Theoretically, maximizing the fuel efficiency, or power demanded at any given point.

In practicality, completely Fing annoying in performance cars. I have 2 vehicles that have CVT transmissions. And the lag time from me 100% throttle, to actually the car moving is substantial. I couldn't deal with this on a daily basis.

but for the numb nuts who comprise 95% of drivers out in the public road ways, they wouldn't know the difference. And wouldn't care, so long as it gave good fuel economy and didn't need maintenance for a long long time.

I always give this example to people to find out if they are true motorsports enthusiasts, or numb nuts.

/beginrant: I have a friend a while ago purchase a new Lexus SUV. he told me it was so good he couldn't even feel anything through the steering wheel. I knew right then and there we were two different people. I asked him why wouldn't you want some road feedback? he asked why would I want to feel the road. /endrant

My Nc700X has a Dual Clutch transmission. Shifts faster than a human could, and is super smooth (you still feel shifts if you are on the throttle hard.) I think DCT's are the future for performance cars (SAVE THE MANUALS TOO!!!) And CVT's if your goal is ultimate fuel efficiency.

CVT's have their place, and are not going anywhere. They can only improve on their design. Remove the delay and I'll look at one for a future car/motorcycle purchase. I DO think they are perfect for our little scooters, being lightweight, simple, and compact. Remember everything is a trade off, and use the best of the compromises to accomplish the job at needed. I love my little PCX125. over 12,000 miles and clicking off more every day!

Cheers.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I was wondering what was going on under that silver cover on my scoot.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

The Buddy 170i that I got for my wife seems like it works much like the video. It needs to get the rpms up before the clutch engages so there's a little delay in takeoff unless you gas it harder. Not the greatest clutch system for my wife who is a brand new rider, a little timid and doesn't want to give it a lot of gas at takeoff. However it is that they made the PCX clutch seems so much better, I would think that it's a wet clutch because it engages so well.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Many moons ago my Dad bought his first ever brand new car, it was a Daf 55.
I remember thinking how simple it was, gear selector forward to go forward, back to go back.
Much better than all that clutch and gears nonsense.
I remember the Daf transmission system being described on Tomorrow's world.
CVT is ideal for small engined scooters, there's nothing worse than having to run up and down gears like a maniac all the time, far better to just twist and go.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Was comparing prices of a 300cc Honda scooter to a 300cc CB300F Honda motorcycle. The bike is $1600 less than the scoot. Dealer said CVT is about $1000 more expensive to produce.
Wife said she wanted to go with....otherwise I'd have a CB300F in the garage, instead of
the Forza.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just wondering about the PCX and CVT drive - i.e. in town traffic when you can't easily filter. I'm trying not to take off too slowly too often just to catch up a few meters with traffic inching forward, but sometimes it's not the best thing to engage the clutch by throttling more just to brake a few meters ahead. So, what's best for life of the drive components?

I do filter when I can but don't go stupid at it like some others I see - - no point overtaking on blind bends or with narrow single lanes and risking being hit by a bus/lorry or such just to shave seconds. But I still face many parts of the journey home on slight hills when I can only creep forward a few meters at a time, which to my mind it not great for the belt?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Many moons ago my Dad bought his first ever brand new car, it was a Daf 55.
I remember thinking how simple it was, gear selector forward to go forward, back to go back.
Much better than all that clutch and gears nonsense.
I remember the Daf transmission system being described on Tomorrow's world.
CVT is ideal for small engined scooters, there's nothing worse than having to run up and down gears like a maniac all the time, far better to just twist and go.

Those little Dafs (daffodils) were beautiful. Bought out by Volvo. Shame really. Bet your dads was sand coloured.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Daf was white, looked just like this:

The bit earlier about the CBR300 being cheaper than the Forza made me laugh.
Conventional bike gearbox is far more complex in design and costly to manufacture.
The CBR300 is cheaper because it is not a completely new design, but cobbled together out of the existing parts bin with a few new plastic mouldings attached.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

gn2 wrote:The Daf was white, looked just like this:

Conventional bike gearbox is far more complex in design and costly to manufacture.
The CBR300 is cheaper because it is not a completely new design, but cobbled together out of the existing parts bin with a few new plastic mouldings attached.
Yes, but he was talking about the CB300F naked which is cheaper still than the CBR300, same bike less fairings. Both 300s come from the previous CBR250 base with new (not recycled) forks. just a bit cheaper still.
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

CBR CB, what's the difference, they're both shite.

BTW fork assemblies are exactly the same on the CBR300 and CBR250 and the CB300F shares components with them as well.
http://www.seadooparts1st.com/oemparts/ ... front-fork
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The Daf was white, looked just like this:

I'd have one of those now..

Favourite car my dad has was a Volkswagen fastback. Loved that
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

gn2 wrote:CBR CB, what's the difference, they're both shite.
I'm curious, what makes you feel that way? I loved it myself.
Its a good beginner bike when you learn to ride it.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its a small bike with zero on-board storage, chain drive and a manual box.
Totally impractical as daily transport, a p.i.t.a. to clean and maintain, thoroughly unpleasant to ride, I could go on....
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

gn2 wrote:Its a small bike with zero on-board storage, chain drive and a manual box.
Totally impractical as daily transport, a p.i.t.a. to clean and maintain, thoroughly unpleasant to ride, I could go on....

Okay, thats a valid argument. I don't completely disagree, but realize what are you are describing is 99% of motorcycles that are not of the step-thru handclutch-less type. Every chain driven bike with fairings is harder to clean and maintain than a scooter, fundamentally.

As far as motorcycles go, 250-300's are generally awesome commuters. They make exceptional lane splitters and filterers where legal and permitted, skinnier than a PCX and better power if you are proficient with a clutch and shifter. For cargo space you can always get saddlebags (panniers for your proper types), tank bags, tail bags.
I don't want to open up the motorcycle vs scooter debate with you because we clearly have made our educated choices. Anyway there it is, thanks for elaborating.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I don't think Honda ever made a lousy 2 wheeler.
I've been riding them for 4 decades.
Hide your eyes....if you don't want to look at a CB300F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CQdwgvzq0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGKb5O ... detailpage
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

gn2 wrote:Its a small bike with zero on-board storage, chain drive and a manual box.
I should add to your list - no electric start... because the next bike that I would love to have (in addition to the PCX) is the new-old Yamaha SR400. On the other hand, I don't need it for daily transport, just for fun riding, as I'm retired.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

fish wrote:I don't think Honda ever made a lousy 2 wheeler.
I've been riding them for 4 decades.
Hide your eyes....if you don't want to look at a CB300F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CQdwgvzq0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGKb5O ... detailpage
Yeah i thoroughly enjoyed riding it for the month i had one. Super good lane splitter in downtown traffic. My Daytona tends to overheat a little when splitting in deadstopped traffic, sportbikes want to go fast and they make you feel antsy and uncomfortable when slow in traffic. I rode the 250 prior and it was cool but the front forks were so mushy, not very confident feeling. I swear the 300 had better stiffer front end.

but yakno, this is a scootering forum so shhhhhhh. :D

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Duggle wrote: I should add to your list - no electric start... because the next bike that I would love to have (in addition to the PCX) is the new-old Yamaha SR400. On the other hand, I don't need it for daily transport, just for fun riding, as I'm retired.
Um... what?
What are you talking about?
CBR300/300F are pushbutton start near killswitch, just like your pcx...

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb