Hello from a new owner in the UK!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StuAff

Re: Hello from a new owner in the UK!

Post by StuAff »

iceman wrote:150mpg! (I believe the computer is slightly in error with that one, at best you'll get near or just above 130mpg which Honda claim). If your riding 50mph or so the mpg will fall much less than that.
Yup, I'm taking those figures with a pinch of salt. Only one stretch of the route had a 50 mph limit, most of it's 40 with a fair chunk of 30 limit, so the consumption should at least match Honda's figures.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I seem to average about 100-110 miles on a full tank. that is commuting at around 40-50mph and the odd 5 min speed run to the horse yard at 60-asfastasitgoes...
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Welcome, StuAff!

I, too, went from bicycling to a PCX. You'll be living the high life with all that snarling PCX horsepower instead of your legs getting you to and from work. Warning though, it's been hard getting back on the bicycle after being spoiled by the PCX!

Regards,
Bash
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

Bash On! wrote:Welcome, StuAff!

I, too, went from bicycling to a PCX. You'll be living the high life with all that snarling PCX horsepower instead of your legs getting you to and from work. Warning though, it's been hard getting back on the bicycle after being spoiled by the PCX!

Regards,
Bash
Oh no it isn't :D As I work a late shift, I tend to cycle two or three mornings a week before getting ready, and that's not going to change, particularly as I'm not using it for the commute every day. Century planned for this weekend. I'll do the odd cycle commute when the weather suits.
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

A week on from my first fill-up, the fuel indicator is back down to two bars, as it was then, with another 203 miles on the clock. That works out as roughly 135 mpg...that'll do nicely. About 15% better than the 50cc, for a 25% faster commute. Win /win :)
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I only get about 110miles on a tank!!???

Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:I only get about 110miles on a tank!!???
Rough guess is that your average speed's a lot higher than mine- I hardly go over 40 mph, a short burst at 50 or so but all the rest of my commute roads are 40 mph limit if not 30, and I try to stick within the limits, if only to avoid tickets- and fuel consumption at higher speeds is a lot worse. I've yet to go flat out (on a CBT motorways are out of the question of course) and spend a quite a bit of time on part & closed throttle- coasting up to lights and such like. That, imagine, helps the MPG a lot.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Yeah, I'm regularly at full throttle (though I shouldn't be naughty me)

StuAff

Post by StuAff »

Know what you mean. One little twist and you're doing 50 before you know it...whoops....I have to pay close attention to the speedo.
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

First service done today, 585 miles on the clock. They didn't look at the valves, which obviously means according to Honda that the bike is doomed...I'll take that chance. Bike is continuing to run very smoothly, fuel consumption still about 135 mpg (this week's fill-up 6.33 litres for the princely sum of £7), first time start every time. Next service some time in July.....
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

StuAff wrote:First service done today, 585 miles on the clock. They didn't look at the valves, which obviously means according to Honda that the bike is doomed...I'll take that chance. Bike is continuing to run very smoothly, fuel consumption still about 135 mpg (this week's fill-up 6.33 litres for the princely sum of £7), first time start every time. Next service some time in July.....
Are you going by the gauge or fuel in / trip miles? The gauge is good but not %100 accurate - from fill-up (near brim) to getting flashing segment gives a few mpg worse than the meter i.e 132 actual 135 meter.
StuAff

Post by StuAff »

iceman wrote:
StuAff wrote:First service done today, 585 miles on the clock. They didn't look at the valves, which obviously means according to Honda that the bike is doomed...I'll take that chance. Bike is continuing to run very smoothly, fuel consumption still about 135 mpg (this week's fill-up 6.33 litres for the princely sum of £7), first time start every time. Next service some time in July.....
Are you going by the gauge or fuel in / trip miles? The gauge is good but not %100 accurate - from fill-up (near brim) to getting flashing segment gives a few mpg worse than the meter i.e 132 actual 135 meter.
Fuel in/trip....regardless of method there's obviously no truly accurate measure, but I know how many miles I'm doing and give or take each of the fill-ups so far have been much the same. I don't let it go down lower than a couple of bars on the gauge as there wouldn't be enough in the tank for a round trip commute (41 or so miles), and I'd rather fill up in the morning rather than nearly 10pm after a shift. Oh, and the filling station's right over the road from home! The trip meter reading is definitely a little too optimistic.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

StuAff wrote:
iceman wrote:
Fuel in/trip....regardless of method there's obviously no truly accurate measure, but I know how many miles I'm doing and give or take each of the fill-ups so far have been much the same. I don't let it go down lower than a couple of bars on the gauge as there wouldn't be enough in the tank for a round trip commute (41 or so miles), and I'd rather fill up in the morning rather than nearly 10pm after a shift. Oh, and the filling station's right over the road from home! The trip meter reading is definitely a little too optimistic.
Not often we see a vehicle that meets or exceeds the manufacturers spec for fuel consumption :) My PCX performed best (mpg/smoothness) when new at I got a best mpg of 141 which dropped to 127 in Feb, but I just filled up and fuel in/trip gave near 136 again! (warmer weather/fuel switched back to summer fuel?). - trip 232 miles, litres in 7.78