About to buy a pcx 150 - couple questions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Timmygp

About to buy a pcx 150 - couple questions

Post by Timmygp »

My local dealership got 2 150's in on Monday, a red and a black. So I'm there checking it out and the only reason I could not pull the trigger is I feel like you would ride to upright and with your knees to high - I feel kinda ockward sitting on it and I'm only 5' 7", anyone else get this? Well regardless I went on Honda finance website and and got per approved for my loan so I called on thursday and of course they had sold the black one!!!!! He said they should get another one next week. I would only buy it as my second vehicle to take to work sometimes 2 miles, and the gym 12 miles away, I would be buying more over just for fun also - I'm just scared I would not ride it or I'd feel to much like a dork on it - but god damn it looks fun!!!! And another thing - helmet is mandatory in Louisiana - I feel like there would be a pumpkin on my head with a stupid helmet... Lol...... IDK
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Re: About to buy a pcx 150 - couple questions

Post by Tristik »

~~
From what I've seen, you wouldn't feel anymore upright than on any other scooter.

As far as the helmet goes, well, in my opinion you should be wearing one anyway. Just have to find one that you really like. Slap some stickers/decals on it if you have to. :)
~~
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

its a good thing that wearing a helmet is mandatory and dont forget to wear a good motorcycle Jacket with armour at the shoulders elbows and back, You can be the best rider in the world
but it only takes one cage driver to kill you
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

if thats all youll be doing on it a 125 be more than enough
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

I'm 5'7" and I feel very comfortable on mine. My knees aren't too high.

It's an absolute blast to ride. I find myself inventing excuses to ride it. My only disappointment is I'd rather have the red one than the black one, but I can live with it.

I'm still on my learner's permit because there are no ABATE classes within reasonable driving distance, so I always wear my helmet. I see loads of people around town riding their Kawasaki Ninjas without helmets and that's fine if that's their choice, but considering how much debt I've put myself into with college loans I'd like to keep my brains inside my head.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Am sure you will get used to the riding position. What i would be concerned about is that you mentioned you might feel a dork on it. All it might take is a few comments and it might make you embarrassed to ride it. Better be sure then buy something you may not use.
Timmygp

Post by Timmygp »

You hit the nail on the head - but that's why I am attracted to the pcx - it doesn't look like the typical scooter - it looks sporty and cool. Do many of you pcx owners catch a lot of shit for riding a scoot?? I've never seen one on the street (someone riding it) just in the showroom and YouTube videos - even then it's difficult to tell the different riding positions....
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

If you dont want it to look like the typical scooter take a look at the
Honda NC700X Honda NC700S or even the Honda VFR1200F all come with DCT
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Timmygp wrote:You hit the nail on the head - but that's why I am attracted to the pcx - it doesn't look like the typical scooter - it looks sporty and cool. Do many of you pcx owners catch a lot of shit for riding a scoot?? I've never seen one on the street (someone riding it) just in the showroom and YouTube videos - even then it's difficult to tell the different riding positions....
Have had many comments from ladies who like look of the pcx, other scooter owbers and some people who walk past have a good look at it and smile. Then you have some riders who hate it and take the piss. It is the only scooter I like really and got it while a injury healed. Now a year later selling and getting a bike again. Will miss how easy it is to park and move but thats it really. It has been good to me and can be for you too but dont rush and think the purchase through.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

TC3 wrote:Will miss how easy it is to park and move but thats it really.
You may also miss the onboard storage, enclosed final drive and excellent fuel economy.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

With a 21L storage on the NC700s wont miss storage that much but the economy maybe!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If image is paramount and is making you insecure then why not buy a Harley. Everyone will admire you except motorcyclists

Or you can just buy a scooter and enjoy yourself. You can't hear people laughing as your riding along

Trust me, I've tried
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

The PCX is a good scooter. Looks just like a mini Silverwing. I have received numerous compliments from strangers regarding the styling of the scooter. It doesn't have that cheap look that the Chinese 49cc bikes have when you see them crawling along at 35mph in a 45mph zone. I would highly recommend it for daily commutes and cruising.

Regarding the looks of helmets, hey they aren't bad looking, especially the Speed & Strength brands I see around where I live. The helmet has a much better look that human brains outside the body. They don't call it "grey matter" for nothing...
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

Timmygp wrote:You hit the nail on the head - but that's why I am attracted to the pcx - it doesn't look like the typical scooter - it looks sporty and cool.
Thats what got me wanting to buy one. Looks a lot like my moms reflex. Looks more like a motorcycle than a typical scoot.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

qed wrote:If image is paramount and is making you insecure then why not buy a Harley. Everyone will admire you except motorcyclists

Or you can just buy a scooter and enjoy yourself. You can't hear people laughing as your riding along

Trust me, I've tried
This about sums up Harley riders for me:

ImageImage ImageImage Image
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

To me, there nothing wrong with seating position or the looks of the bike. yes a couple of guys at work took the piss, until I tols them how much mpg I was getting (112mpg to date) and that soon shut them up. Currently switching between my Deauville and the scooter now (My Deau has a new Tony Archer King/Queen seat........................very comfy :D )
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Woolley wrote:This about sums up Harley riders for me:
I think I almost got fired for laughing too hard at work. I really should get back to work now... :lol: :lol:

Timmygp wrote:You hit the nail on the head - but that's why I am attracted to the pcx - it doesn't look like the typical scooter - it looks sporty and cool. Do many of you pcx owners catch a lot of shit for riding a scoot?? I've never seen one on the street (someone riding it) just in the showroom and YouTube videos - even then it's difficult to tell the different riding positions....
I get the best of both worlds on the PCX.

Non-riders and motorcyclists never bash on it, most of them ask questions about it. I always get waved at by other motorcyclists too, just like I always have on full-sized bikes I've owned in the past. I've never been the butt of any scooter joke on the PCX, unlike on my Buddy 125. :roll:

As for scooterists, they all like it. I've ridden in at least 10 scooter rallies and have ridden with a Burgman group, Ruckus gangs (? Really, I'd call them that), and Vespa clubs. A few Vespa riders were snobbish at first, but stopped after I showed interest in their vintage crap, the Ruckus guys kept asking me to slow down, and were jealous of the fuel-injection in the mountains, and the Burgman group was amazed that I could keep up with them on something with 1/4 the displacement.

The main riding position I ride in (I'm 5'10, roughly your height) is with my feet forwards, resting on the angled part of the floorboards. My knees are at about a 45 degree angle, not at a 90 degree angle like most scooters.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Not me, but this is how I ride:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Timmygp

Post by Timmygp »

All right --- I'm doing it - signing the papers tomorrow!! Honda finance was 1.9% interest for 3 years with payment of $112 month... What put me over the top was this Japanese Video of someone riding around a pcx 150...(link below) Anyway my dealership got in another black one - to match my accord coupe so shit - why not... Helmet is going to be the Hjc is 33 - open face hopefully won't be that bulky!!! Check this video and website - http://www.mr-bike.jp/?p=25154
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
That's a really good video to see how the bike looks on the road! Thanks for linking that.

What's the thing on the dash with the green A with the circle around it? To the left of the speedometer.
~~