Might be time to say goodbye...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Might be time to say goodbye...

Post by Valiant »

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/5115664747.html

I put it up for sale 8) .

Not sure how well it's done, if there's too much information or what not. Not sure how reasonable the asking price is, as there are only 3 other posts for a PCX, and all of them are 2013 models. Also not sure how long it generally takes for an offer, as I was hoping to get my butt comfortable on a CB300F by August.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Might be time to say goodbye...

Post by yak »

The ad is way too long. But don't change it. That approach might find a buyer. Put the paragraphs about damage to the bike (and laying it down) at the very end of the ad. As soon as i read that, i did not want to read any further. Your honesty is wonderful; but it is more like an ebay ad than a Craigslist ad. On ebay the buyer might be traveling 500 miles to come look at the bike.

Take out the sentence "Any buyer must be willing to install these parts.....". If they pay you $3,000 for your bike, you don't really care what they do.

The price is too high for a "regular" PCX. So you are looking for one buyer out of 1,000 who will appreciate everything you've done.

Read the other posts on this forum about scooters for sale. Almost every seller has found the market for used PCX's to be weak. Which is why the dealers still have some brand new 2013 models for sale. I still love my PCX and will be riding it in a few minutes. Tell every buyer that they are wonderful scooters.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/5115664747.html

I put it up for sale 8) .

Not sure how well it's done, if there's too much information or what not. Not sure how reasonable the asking price is, as there are only 3 other posts for a PCX, and all of them are 2013 models. Also not sure how long it generally takes for an offer, as I was hoping to get my butt comfortable on a CB300F by August.

No idea. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole from that ad
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

How much is a new one?
Take the new price, divide by seven and you're getting close to what its worth in its current state.
If you still have the original parts, to boost the return, restore it to original and sell the modifications separately.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

yak wrote:The ad is way too long. But don't change it. That approach might find a buyer. Put the paragraphs about damage to the bike (and laying it down) at the very end of the ad. As soon as i read that, i did not want to read any further. Your honesty is wonderful; but it is more like an ebay ad than a Craigslist ad. On ebay the buyer might be traveling 500 miles to come look at the bike.

Take out the sentence "Any buyer must be willing to install these parts.....". If they pay you $3,000 for your bike, you don't really care what they do.
True enough, just seemed like a waste of parts.
The price is too high for a "regular" PCX. So you are looking for one buyer out of 1,000 who will appreciate everything you've done.
Is it? Local listings are $3500 for a 2013 model, though admittedly not as "worn" as this one.
gn2 wrote:How much is a new one?
Take the new price, divide by seven and you're getting close to what its worth in its current state.
If you still have the original parts, to boost the return, restore it to original and sell the modifications separately.
Great in theory, but not in practice. Given that the local scooter shop screwed me over, my other alternative would be to pay upwards of $1,000(solely in labor) for my motorcycle dealer to do the job.

I figure if I can't get even $2000 for it, I'd just keep it as is and use it til something breaks down.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Valiant wrote: keep it as is and use it til something breaks down.
You'll not have to wait long.
Have you asked about a trade-in?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

At the dealer? They told me they can't take it unless it's full stock.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Valiant wrote:At the dealer? They told me they can't take it unless it's full stock.
Perhaps there's a message there for those wanting a few % increase after lots of money - and then fidning it hard to get rid of.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Yep. Could also be that there's a nonexistent market for "almost sportbike" kind of power when you could probably get a used CBR250R for the same price.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

In Europe and North America where there are big bikes and/or scooters a-plenty and at cheap prices, its a complete false economy to attempt to squeeze more power out a 125-150 scooter.
Its ok to do it for a hobby if that's what floats your boat and you have money to burn, but for anyone on a budget its money wasted.
And that's why my thread is still the top one in the Performance section.
The fact is your big bore PCX is worth much less than an unmodified one.
Good luck getting your asking price, but you haven't a snowball's chance in hell imo.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

It wasn't so much the waste of money that's the problem as much as it is the fact that the utter lack of mechanical support for maxi-scooters is pretty much non-existent where I live.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you had kept it standard you probably wouldn't have had a problem.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:If you had kept it standard you probably wouldn't have had a problem.
Your point was well noted in the first post, and I believe I already mentioned that the next bike I purchase will indeed be kept full stock.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"The Blame"
This would be a very good time for me to say,....I don't like your scoot!
Why? She took a wrong turn down a dark path awhile back. Yeah, that's right! She drove to the wrong hood and tuned bad. Sometimes it's Not about being "loaded," "pretty" or "fast." Look where it got her
(or didn't). Look how fouled up she got! Look what she did to you! And, What about us? We're about to say good-bye. Noooo I'm not saying goodbye, I'm saying good riddance to "It!" ....... But feeling really sad about you leaving us :( That Biatch!

I'm Blaming that Trollop White
I am.
Your ad? I hope she sits there and pays her dues. Scoots gotta burn n learn.

Spoke me mind. Feel better? No.
I'll miss ya when you're gone Valiant :|
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:If you still have the original parts, to boost the return, restore it to original and sell the modifications separately.
Seriously Valiant....consider what gn2 said. Personally I would do exactly that.
Remove your CL ad, strip the mods, put back the real PCX. Place new ad that makes "cents" to you and "sense" to a buyer.
What would stop you from doing that? I feel there must be a good reason.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

WhiteNoise wrote:
gn2 wrote:If you still have the original parts, to boost the return, restore it to original and sell the modifications separately.
Seriously Valiant....consider what gn2 said. Personally I would do exactly that.
Remove your CL ad, strip the mods, put back the real PCX. Place new ad that makes "cents" to you and "sense" to a buyer.
I don't get what was so hard to understand the first time I explained this.

The scooter shop who did the install initially screwed me over, I had to call the police to get my parts back(the throttle body & others), which they didn't install because they sat on their asses for 11 days while telling me everything was installed.

Thus why my only alternative would be to pay $1000 for my motorcycle dealer to do it, which might be a very conservative figure, because they charged me just shy of $600 to install my variator, exhaust, and change my oil. If I have to pay them again, it might as well be easier to sell the PCX for $500 and come out richer.

I pay other people to do this because I don't have the tools, the patience, or the space to do this stuff myself.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:
I don't get what was so hard to understand the first time I explained this.

The scooter shop who did the install initially screwed me over, I had to call the police to get my parts back(the throttle body & others), which they didn't install because they sat on their asses for 11 days while telling me everything was installed.

Thus why my only alternative would be to pay $1000 for my motorcycle dealer to do it, which might be a very conservative figure, because they charged me just shy of $600 to install my variator, exhaust, and change my oil. If I have to pay them again, it might as well be easier to sell the PCX for $500 and come out richer.

I pay other people to do this because I don't have the tools, the patience, or the space to do this stuff myself.

Do you have a river or a canal nearby
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

No, but I was eyeing that dumpster pretty hungrily.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:No, but I was eyeing that dumpster pretty hungrily.

:D :) :D
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well I have one piece of good news:
Ever since I sorted out the transmission problem(it was the center spring), my fuel economy has been going up to suspiciously high levels.

It was reading 95 mpg when I filled up after a bit of highway riding(was really ramping up the miles), then insisted I got 107 mpg on the way back after I took a little tour around some cliffs.

Interesting results, but I suppose having the variator finally open up meant that it would be like riding on the highway in 3rd gear instead of 1st gear on a bike. Considering I got 80+ mpg before the transmission problem was resolved, it's still questionable whether PCX's actually run on gasoline rather than the wings of imagination o.O