Second Service

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Re: Second Service

Post by jojo87 »

Thread tap..... the Exhaust Bolt.... the thread/hole on the Swingarm, what size is that? I just bought a Thread tap set and the largest is M12, is that the size I need?
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Totally forgot i'll need to get a thicker bolt if i'm going to tap the thread!! not sure what the size of the one is now,
Bike is going in on the 20th, not sure whether to just put the old Exhaust back on and just say there is copper/steel strips and LocTite in there due to taking the Tax Disc off and threading the hole!
really cant be bothered with it all....
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

All you need is a thread repair kit. It would be a very easy job in your case since you can get right at it on the side of the bike. You have no issue with access to the repair with the exhaust off. Measure one of the good bolts to determine what size you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-10- ... Repair+Kit
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I bought a thread tapping kit, the biggest in there is m12 though,
I was told that if you use it then you have to make the actual hole bigger? so i'd need a bigger bolt...
i'm not sure on the current bolt size (its the stock bolt) as it's been raining so I haven't been able to check the Bike,
big if I get a bigger bolt, then i'm not sure if it'll go through the actual mount on the Exhaust itself.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A helicoil insert is a new thread, the stripped thread hole is drilled out, a new thread tapped in, then a new thread insert is fitted in to restore the hole to the original size.

http://www.repairengineering.com/helicoil.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

This is what I had...
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 20.54.33.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 20.54.33.png (302.27 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

A cross threaded and stripped hole is missing some metal that has been torn away. The tap set that you have is useful if you start to crossthread a bolt hole but stop before you go more than a couple turns. All of the metal is still there further down the hole but you have to use a tap to clean up the outer threads so that you can get the bolt started correctly. Once you strip the hole so that the bolt is all the way in but just keeps turning without tightening, you have torn out the metal of the threads. You can drill and tap to use the next bigger diameter bolt. But it might not fit through the hole of the muffler. So it is better and easier to replace the damaged threads with a threaded insert so that you can just use the same size bolt.
You may be able to die the threads on the damaged bolt to reuse it but it is more likely that you will need a new bolt also since the threads will be mis-shapen on the bolt as well.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I got the stock Exhaust back on using the main 3 bolts, the one that was threaded went in ok without using anything but didn't do up that tight, but still seems secure with the other 2 tight.

Also the rear fender that was snapped, I purchased one for £21 for Saturday delivery so when the Bike gets collected on Tuesday they said to give the fender to the driver and they'll put it on for me when they do the Service which is all good :-)

But yeah, selling the PCX when I get it back, with the Exhaust and all the other bits.... going to keep the current mirrors for the MSX though and put on the previous black ones I had....
wasn't sure whether the Crossbar would go onto the MSX?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Loctite blue the loose bolt.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
soozy07
Year: 2014

Post by soozy07 »

Sorry about the post on an old thread. Just purchased a 2014 model pcx from thunder road in Cwmbran, 1 lady owner, a little over 5000 miles. Thought I had a really good deal, am I going to regret getting a pcx over the forza? Wasn't impressed with thunder road tbh and their £69 admin fee... Oh and it not being ready to take away even though they knew I was travelling 2 and a half hours each way in a van so I could pick it up. They waived delivery charge in the end!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I'm not that happy with them at all regarding my PCX, the fact they had it for weeks and changed parts that didn't seen it or help at all, the fact I had the Bike back with a scratch, and missing bolts and washers.... ended up selling it in the end and got the MSX, only thing is, it'll be Thunder Road having it for the Services, i'm just hoping they do a better job as the engine is a lot easier to get to on the MSX, fingers crossed.
soozy07
Year: 2014

Post by soozy07 »

Did you part exchange your pcx with them? I turned down the services offer as it would be a pain going over there every 2500 miles as Honda suggests. They had three days to do a pdi and decided to do it on the morning of me picking it up. It needed an oil change, new filters, new tyres, new brake pads and a new disc (which they didn't have in Cwmbran) I would have thought all that would be done before advertising the bike for sale? What did you think of the pcx? Your msx is beautiful BTW. Good luck with your next service!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

No didn't part exchange as their offer was too low for my liking so I sold it for the price I wanted to someone in London..... I bought their Service office even though I didn't purchase any Bikes from them, but as they are my local Honda Dealers I thought it would be best to keep everything with them, so I paid around £400 for 5 Services, I have 3 left, 2 was on the PCX and they said they'll move the other 3 over to the MSX, and they'll collect and deliver the Bike in with that price too.

PCX was a very nice Bike, but I needed to start getting used to a manual as my CBT expires in June, not sure whether to redo my CBT again for the last time and then go in for my full test in 2 years when i'm 100% confident on a manual, but the PCX is the best Scooter i've never been on without a doubt.