Test rode a new Vespa GTS 300 yesterday and...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Test rode a new Vespa GTS 300 yesterday and...

Post by jcpeden »

...it was pretty terrible IMO.

Good points
--
  • 273cc motor puts out 22bhp which is about twice that of my PCX. Good for a 70mph top speed (speedo was climbing VERY slowly at this point but I ran out of road) that is reached reasonably quickly but in the real world, great for getting away from the lights that little bit faster, overtaking with confidence, cruising at 50mph into a headwind or nipping into those little gaps you see before they close.
  • ABS is great
  • Looks cool, not that anyone other than you will care about that though :P
Bad points
--
  • Traction control interferes far too early e.g. with enthusiastic starts from the traffic lights and makes the bike feel like it's about to stall.
  • Suspension and small wheels make the ride pretty awful
  • I thought the ride position would be much the same as the PCX but you sit WAY higher and feel both exposed and disconnected
  • Seat was surprisingly high for me at 6'3. You won't be able to put both feet on the ground if you're below 6'
  • The bike DOES corner well but the ride position doesn't inspire confidence and while it'll get round a bend pretty quickly, I felt was gritting my teeth on more than a few occasions when I'd been a bit heavy-handed going in.
  • The brakes! What the actual fuck? The front was so badly setup I thought that Vespa had installed them the wrong way round (back brake on the throttle side). Nope. The front brake on this bike was shocking. The back was very good admittedly but I have no idea what this was about. No stopping power from the front at all. The dealer said this was a new bike and after riding it around the car park insisted that it was setup correctly.
  • Build quality is questionable. I know I was on a demo bike but the under seat storage bin just sits in place and I had a bolt vibrate out of the leg guard whilst riding round town.
  • Display is terrible, you can't see it without looking at your knees.
  • Switch gears are fiddly and trickier to operate (with gloves on) than they need to be.
  • The Super model that I was looking at is over £4700 brand new!
I'm actually really disappointed.

They're so well-reviewed that I was expecting to ride one and throw my money at the dealer but not so. I had the bike for a full two hours and kept finding things I didn't like about the bike. It did absolutely nothing to endear itself to me. That said, I did enjoy hustling it back across town when I realised I'd forgotten the keys for my own bike. The extra power made the bike good fun to nip through city traffic and I was almost convincing myself that actually I did really like it.

I got back on my PCX after signing the GTS back over the dealer and realised what a sweet bike it really is.

Yes, it's underpowered but other than that, I think it trumps the Vespa in every way. Honestly, if they made a 300cc version of it I think it'd be the perfect city scooter. Time to book a test ride on the Forza for me!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Test rode a new Vespa GTS 300 yesterday and...

Post by gn2 »

People buy Vespas for the same reason people buy Harleys.
In the UK market there's really only one decent scooter available new which sits in the middle ground between 125 and 300 and that is the Peugeot Citystar 200.
It makes 20hp from its 190cc engine so a fair improvement over a PCX.
Price is pretty good at £3300, even has a full stainless exhaust as standard.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by jcpeden »

I thought the XMAX 250 was supposed to be pretty good?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Xmax250 might be pretty good, but it's not really a middle ground job, its a full fat 300 size scooter, but with the power of a 200.
It has a short service interval, has the awful one off/one on headlamps, generally looks hideous and at just 20hp has a low powered engine which is a pretty old design.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Citystar.. Nice bike, but not available in US ..too bad !
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Vespas are a fashion accessory. Some really like them, but the small wheels make them difficult to ride, which is weird because I've ridden a 2010 Honda elite 110 which has 12" wheels but has a very capable suspension. Much as another mentioned, Harleys are much the same. I can't understand the allure of riding something that leaves all your bones broken and your teeth on the ground after a ten minute ride. But again, it's a fashion accessory.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave and I went for a ride a couple of weekends ago with the local Vespa club. We were the only PCXs. I had just changed out the variator on my wife's bike, which he rode. It took the curves better than the Vespas, IMO, and it can now reach 75 mph. I can't say how well the Vespa is as a straight line riding machine, but I don't think curvy roads are its friend at higher speeds. The group was having fun and had various sizes and ages of Vespas, so I was able to see the advances that have been made, but I still don't like them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jcpeden wrote:...it was pretty terrible IMO.

Good points
--
  • 273cc motor puts out 22bhp which is about twice that of my PCX. Good for a 70mph top speed (speedo was climbing VERY slowly at this point but I ran out of road) that is reached reasonably quickly but in the real world, great for getting away from the lights that little bit faster, overtaking with confidence, cruising at 50mph into a headwind or nipping into those little gaps you see before they close.
  • ABS is great
  • Looks cool, not that anyone other than you will care about that though :P
Bad points
--
  • Traction control interferes far too early e.g. with enthusiastic starts from the traffic lights and makes the bike feel like it's about to stall.
  • Suspension and small wheels make the ride pretty awful
  • I thought the ride position would be much the same as the PCX but you sit WAY higher and feel both exposed and disconnected
  • Seat was surprisingly high for me at 6'3. You won't be able to put both feet on the ground if you're below 6'
  • The bike DOES corner well but the ride position doesn't inspire confidence and while it'll get round a bend pretty quickly, I felt was gritting my teeth on more than a few occasions when I'd been a bit heavy-handed going in.
  • The brakes! What the actual fuck? The front was so badly setup I thought that Vespa had installed them the wrong way round (back brake on the throttle side). Nope. The front brake on this bike was shocking. The back was very good admittedly but I have no idea what this was about. No stopping power from the front at all. The dealer said this was a new bike and after riding it around the car park insisted that it was setup correctly.
  • Build quality is questionable. I know I was on a demo bike but the under seat storage bin just sits in place and I had a bolt vibrate out of the leg guard whilst riding round town.
  • Display is terrible, you can't see it without looking at your knees.
  • Switch gears are fiddly and trickier to operate (with gloves on) than they need to be.
  • The Super model that I was looking at is over £4700 brand new!
I'm actually really disappointed.

They're so well-reviewed that I was expecting to ride one and throw my money at the dealer but not so. I had the bike for a full two hours and kept finding things I didn't like about the bike. It did absolutely nothing to endear itself to me. That said, I did enjoy hustling it back across town when I realised I'd forgotten the keys for my own bike. The extra power made the bike good fun to nip through city traffic and I was almost convincing myself that actually I did really like it.

I got back on my PCX after signing the GTS back over the dealer and realised what a sweet bike it really is.

Yes, it's underpowered but other than that, I think it trumps the Vespa in every way. Honestly, if they made a 300cc version of it I think it'd be the perfect city scooter. Time to book a test ride on the Forza for me!

Appreciate the review. Interested in the size given you are 6'3

I quite fancy one but I'd get Dodge Ball abuse off the wife and kids.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

The Italians understand the snob market like nobody else.

But, one thing about this machine: You can get at the engine without having to tear down the whole damn bike.
romei
Minister of Sinister
Minister of Sinister
Color: Red

Post by romei »

At 6'3" you are not going to to like the stock seating / short legroom of the Forza300. They are designed for people about 5'7". You will likely love everything else about it and buy it anyway, knowing that you'll have to take the seat to a professional custom seat shop and have them re-do it for you since no after market seats are currently available. I'm 5' 10" and that was my experience. I have a seat cushion on mine for now until I can make the appointment at the seat shop. It raises me up a few inches and gives me a little more room.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

romei wrote:At 6'3" you are not going to to like the stock seating / short legroom of the Forza300..
Depends on leg length rather than height.