PCX150 - Vario150 Belt Swap

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: PCX150 - Vario150 Belt Swap

Post by homie »

I have the cogged belt now in my inventory of possible tasks and testing but it's down right cold out there killing my motivation to tinker if I can't test ride in reasonable comfort.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191823184384?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

The ebay cogged belt from Thailand I received is consistent but not exactly the caliper measurements you have, close enough but what is the 823mm measurement you have there sir?

to be continued...
Attachments
100_2984.JPG
100_2984.JPG (179.49 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
100_2987.JPG
100_2987.JPG (149.7 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
100_2988.JPG
100_2988.JPG (117.68 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

homie wrote:I would hope mine will be here this week (last I saw in customs). First to see if its the same measurements as Clem's. I'm going in to note wear on NCY vario kits in general at 4k. I have logged performance acceleration and top end speed at max tire inflation for my 2015 PCX but this won't mean anything to stock owners who don't fit the oversized tires. However the tachometer and (GPS) speedometer will show any changes in the new cogged belt for Honda PCX 125/150.

It should be noted these cogged belts have been available to auto industry for years for all the longevity and beneficial reasons advertised. If there are minute size differences on a belt in a variating two pulley system of any kind I'm betting we will see something change so I won't swap out anything but the belt even if there is degradation in the rollers or clutch.
Hi Homie, it's been a while. How's the test going with the new cogged belt? Let us know.
I'm curious about it when installed in PCX.

Thank you
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

OMD! I posted just below Homie's test...
Sorry, that was ignorant of me hahaha. No wonder got no reply from you.
I'm reading now.....
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

homie wrote:...
The ebay cogged belt from Thailand I received is consistent but not exactly the caliper measurements you have, close enough but what is the 823mm measurement you have there sir?

to be continued...
How did you measure the width? It differs by 22,1 - 21,76 = 0,34 mm. Could the caliper jaws squeezed the belt too much? I used ice cream paddle in both "V" sides then measure the distance. Also, mine wasn't that new. With new variator the belt in a new bike usually wears at faster rate during several first kilometers, due to the aggressive cross hatch pattern in the variator. In Indonesia, Honda limit 1mm or 24.000km use between belt changes. So, 0,34 mm could mean 3 months normal belt life (in my case).

Additional report:
Using the new cogged belt + Dr. Pulley (DRP) sliders combo, there's no need to mill the variator face to make it closing closer. The belt mark is already near the edge of the drive pulley (both static pulley and variator have less than 0,5mm margin left). Static top speed stays in 130km/h stopped by the rev limiter sharply. This cogged belt seems to sit lower down the drive pulley while also thicker (compared to Vario125/PCX125). I also discover that the variator pulley now has an O-ring in the drive pulley shaft to keep dust out. DRP slider keeps squeezing both drive pulley & Variator, thus at some point the static drive face will touch the O-ring in the variator. Simple fix is to wait until the desired travel achieved (judging by the touching mark around the O-ring groove) then file/mill the top of the flat surface of the DRP slider to make it travel no further. Another option is to make the DRP sliders travel shorter by adding some kind of stopper in front of the sliders.
It's easier if I post pictures later.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

So is there a consensus if the cogged belt can be used on older pcx 150's? (I've got a 2013) The dimension specs make it sound like it should fit.

Dean
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

I can not guarantee that. Ask Homie instead, he bought one for his PCX
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 3&start=40
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

I just found this article that compares V and cogged belts, and its says cogged belts are about 2% more efficient than v belts. On our 13 hp pcx's that means about 1/4 extra hp to the wheel. At $30 or so that makes a cogged belt swap probably 2nd only to dr pulley sliders on a cost to benefit scale.

Now if I could just find a cogged belt to fit my 2013!

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/107928 ... elt-drives