2015 seat modded for comfort

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: black

2015 seat modded for comfort

Post by mrgizmow »

trimmed PCX seat
At 67, more and more I ask myself, why wait. A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2015 PCX 150. A very nice machine but had not ridden far before asking myself how this seat could be an improvement over the 2013. Am 6'2" and seem pretty balanced between leg and torso. Seat seems hard and with the hump, just could not get a comfortable seat position. Read many post regarding attempts at changing body/scooter ergonomics. Was able to do a lot for comfort by installing a spare Air Hawk seat cushion. Now, what to do about the hump? The above photo gives you some idea of the project. Not rocket science, but glad I am retired and have lots of tools and 'stuff'. Honda made a very strong seat pan. Cutting out the hump was a job that pushed my Dremel tool close to it's limit. If I had removed the cover/foam base completely, likely I could have used a Saber saw.

With the hump gone, was able to use an electric carving knife and continued to go straight back at the same level for about 7 inches. In so doing, I ended up with a square hole (no foam) where the hump had been. This did not turn out to be a big problem as I was able to slice the foam hump to fill the hole once a bottom support piece was made from a section of nylon cutting board.

Now there is lots more room for me. Never carry a passenger, but still have adequate real estate for an extra butt. If there is interest, will post a link to my photobucket account so you can see additional pictures. Take care
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2015 seat modded for comfort

Post by mrgizmow »

Well seems I still have a ways to go before picture posting is mastered. Will try again, and as well include my Photobucket address or link. Take care

Here is my scooter photo page http://s267.photobucket.com/user/mrgizm ... adventures
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You de-humped a 15 seat :D probably similar to these aftermarket seats I would imagine. I congratulate you for your effort and I hope it works long term. I can help you with pictures. What are you using to take pictures with?
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Man, I admire the heck out of you for attempting that. And for succeeding so brilliantly.

I simply don't have the nerve to take on something like that.

Awesome job!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mrgizmow »

Thanks Homie. I am using a fairly new Cannon and have been posting pics on sites for many years. Seems now most many forums require that a picture be 'hosted' by a site like Photobucket. Pulling my pictures from Photobucket and doing a copy/paste to previous forums has worked fine. I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong, but then, practice makes perfect. Perhaps one of the frustrations I am dealing with is trying to pull pictures from a new Mac that I purchased last year. I also have a Windows machine and maybe will try that next time. Any insight will still be much appreciated....

Ishkabibble, thanks. Every success is a failure as well. The hardest part for me is always getting past the 'should I try'. I always think PERFECT; nothing is. Fortunately I am at a point in my life where I have tried and failed enough times that I am getting closer to perfect. It is all a matter of degree. Yes, the seat turned out pretty good. Likely much better for me than it was. I did not spend enough time getting the foam base smoother. My butt picks up the slight irregularities. On the plus side, I just so happen to have a nice Air Hawk seat cushion. With that in place, it feels perrrrrfect..... Such is life. Take care.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

mrgizmow wrote:Thanks Homie. I am using a fairly new Cannon and have been posting pics on sites for many years. Seems now most many forums require that a picture be 'hosted' by a site like Photobucket. Pulling my pictures from Photobucket and doing a copy/paste to previous forums has worked fine. I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong, but then, practice makes perfect. Perhaps one of the frustrations I am dealing with is trying to pull pictures from a new Mac that I purchased last year. I also have a Windows machine and maybe will try that next time. Any insight will still be much appreciated.
take picture with awsome smart phone / email to self
go to computer... open and save pic / maybe resize or crop if needed with windows paint program
in this forum... click (postreply) / choose file / preview / submit
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mrgizmow »

trimmed PCX seat.jpg
trimmed PCX seat.jpg (158.1 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Thanks Homie, will give it a try. Yippie......
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mrgizmow »

Lets try again: The height difference is one inch.
Attachments
resized PCX for forum.png
resized PCX for forum.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1087 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

You worked pretty hard to make that seat soft.
mrgizmow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mrgizmow »

The Airhawk seat cushion (not shown) really made it softer. Removing the hump allowed me to move back just a bit and stretch my legs out. Initially I felt cramped and could not imagine riding more than an hour. Take care.
db22
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by db22 »

Congratulations on a very fine job! I did much the same thing, going so far as to remove the hump from the seatpan and glue in a plywood filler. My saddle is a work in progress; I'm sure I'll rebuild it again over the winter.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...