Jump starter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iyernat
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Jump starter

Post by iyernat »

My scooter is just fine and has no battery problems. I was wondering if this scooter battery is jump-able ? I was thinking about the battery jump starters that are so popular and see if it is added value to carry them all the time in the trunk.

I have left the lights on in the scooter at home and have drained the battery. Fortunately it was at home where I have a charger and I charged it all night long to revive it. I am just afraid - I might do something like this when I am away from home and hence the question.
Location - Tampa FL

Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150, 2006 Honda ST1300
Have owned and and sold: Kawasaki Ninja R500, Honda VFR 750, Honda Silverwing
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Jump starter

Post by Jge64 »

Yes, jumpable....keep in mind once you drain the battery flat, you have taken a chunk out of its life. Even if it charges back up. Sometime in the future, it will fail. Batteries last the longest when the top 20% of the charge is only used.

If the bikes not going to be used for weeks, just disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Unless you are in very very cold weather, this will hold the charge for many months. However as it's so damn easy to get this battery out of the bike, you also might want to take it inside and put it on a battery maintainer.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I don't think you want all the weight and lose of space plus the damage something like an extra battery in your luggage box rattling around. Things like what happen to you are forever burned into your memory. Every time you shut off the key you'll be sure to double check. It won't happen again, and even if it did we can push the little Honda to a source of power. If you are truly prone to incidents like this put the light weight battery tender in the luggage box and all you would need is an outlet and few minutes to start the engine.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

A batt tender won't start a dead batt bike.....it'll take a small jump pack.
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

show me a small one please... the one I have must weigh 15lbs
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Many on amazon
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Amazing!.... yes buy this and put in your luggage box but PLEASE not in your travel luggage :lol: Send me one too because DAHAM!
https://www.amazon.com/8000mAh-Portable ... ery+jumper
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I've got something similar. Very handy. You can jump start a reasonable car with one.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I had no idea they had become so small... so why does my father-in-law keep giving me those cinder blocks to haul around in my truck.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is a very good question. I think it is because it is hard for older people to accept newer technology. Heck, I had a guy stop once to ask if I needed a jump start, which I didn't, and his answer to the jump start problem was a spare full size battery he had strapped down in his truck bed. People become comfortable with certain things.

By the way, I have only had a problem with jumping my bike once. That was the fault of the service shop, so they jump started it. I solved the problem that had caused the battery to drain, and I haven't had a problem since. However, there is always that possibility, so know the age and dependability of your battery. If it is getting older and you use the bike in the winter, definitely be prepared.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

You can jump start a scooter/motorcycle battery, but you should not rev the engine of the car being used for power. Just hook it up, turn on the car, and start the bike. Then disconnect the jumper cables as soon as you can.

As others have mentioned, a plug-in battery charger is a better option as it will deliver a lower amp rate than a car charging system.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Do you even need to have the jump car going? I would think that our little scoots would be unnoticeable to an auto battery.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well another scooter can jump your scooter easily enough. My wife and I have Battery Tender leads permanently attached on both bikes, and they can be connected together if a jump is needed. So as not to confuse you though, let me clarify that. I created an adapter to allow positive to positive, and negative to negative hook ups.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

GeorgeSK wrote:Do you even need to have the jump car going? I would think that our little scoots would be unnoticeable to an auto battery.
Possibly not. TBH, an auto battery might do the trick even if it were not connected to a vehicle..
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:... so why does my father-in-law keep giving me those cinder blocks to haul around in my truck.
Because he bought a lighter one and felt he had to do something with the old so he gave it to the son-out-law. ;) :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:..... put in your luggage box but PLEASE not in your travel luggage :lol: Send me one too because DAHAM!
I travel internationally quite frequently. Airlines are cracking down on personal size chargers. The one you posted is also suitable to charge a phone or tablet, but I suspect it would be over the rating limit to have it with carry on luggage when flying, and some airlines may not even let it go with checked baggage.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:
homie wrote:... so why does my father-in-law keep giving me those cinder blocks to haul around in my truck.
Because he bought a lighter one and felt he had to do something with the old so he gave it to the son-out-law. ;) :lol:
that is what the old Marine did... I bet you ten bucks.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have not traveled with my external battery that I use to recharge my phone and tablet so I guess that I should ask if I am even allowed to now. Have they put restrictions on it?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

There are restrictions on flying with lithium ion battery's. I had to fill in declarations to send my works diagnostic tester back to Germany recently. I had to put the battery series numbers, state there was no damage or swollen battery's etc.
The internals of the battery's are very caustic.

The high voltage batteries in cars now have to be transported in a special steel box with fireproof insulation. We were told if we get a defective lithium HV battery that's leaking the fire service has to be called to deal with it.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Regarding air travel, the unit that Homie linked is only 8000mAh, which is allowed in carry on luggage as long as there are no exposed terminals.

But here is an interesting PITA fact. If you fly in or out of China with any battery like this, and the power is not marked on the unit, it will be confiscated.