Does a heavy tall windshield effect low speed turning?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Does a heavy tall windshield effect low speed turning?

Post by romnation »

I have several different windshields which I have been rotating out, trying to find the one I like the best. It could be placebo, but I've noticed when I put either the stock meter cover back on or the small sport windshield I have, the bke seems to want to turn on a dime and with the taller heavier windshields it requires a bit more effort. (Not that its hard, but just takes more lean) Is the bike light enough that a heavy windshield weighing down the front could effect this?
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX

Re: Does a heavy tall windshield effect low speed turning?

Post by jburner »

Not sure what you mean by heavy. Unless the windshield is made out of glass, whatever windshield you would be using would be light enough that it wouldn’t affect the suspension. I’d assume it to be placebo effect, or just that you aren’t able to turn it as far because of the mirrors hitting your taller windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have never had a problem with mine, though have a taller windshield will make quick turns something you have to watch the mirrors with. When I purchased my tall Givi windshields they had the option with them that allowed me to move my mirror stems about an inch or two outward. This allows the bike to make sharp turns without the mirrors hitting the windshield.

As with any bike with something in front of your face, you will have to be aware of it and don't lean up into it like you would on a dirt bike. If you learned to ride initially on dirt bikes then you will find riding on streets in an upright position foreign to you. Practice is the solution to that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Might be the drag that you are noticing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The wind is more diverted with a windshield than without. You may not notice it but when you ride without a windshield you act as a wall to the wind, and at higher speeds you may sometimes feel as though you are being forced back...off of the bike. Motorcycles in general have a more angled seat which gives a lower profile to the wind than a scooter does. I did not feel the force of the wind as much when I rode my motorcycles as I do with my PCX. That is why I added a tall windshield, which is angled enough to divert the wind around and over the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

Mel46 wrote:I have never had a problem with mine, though have a taller windshield will make quick turns something you have to watch the mirrors with. When I purchased my tall Givi windshields they had the option with them that allowed me to move my mirror stems about an inch or two outward. This allows the bike to make sharp turns without the mirrors hitting the windshield.

As with any bike with something in front of your face, you will have to be aware of it and don't lean up into it like you would on a dirt bike. If you learned to ride initially on dirt bikes then you will find riding on streets in an upright position foreign to you. Practice is the solution to that.
I wonder if this is what is happening. I wonder If I'm leaning differently or more forward when a shorter windshield is installed. (since I'm not bumping into it), thus making it feel like I'm turning easier.