Is too much engine oil dangerous?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

BristolRoversfc
Year: 2018
Color: Grey

Is too much engine oil dangerous?

Post by BristolRoversfc »

Hi.
Im back to work on Monday following 3 months off due to full knee replacement.
Decided today to check all fluid levels, tyre pressures,lights etc...
Brake fluid was fine.
Anti freeze needed a little top up
Engine oil was very slightly above the full mark on dipstick.(I let the engine run for a couple of minutes first,then waited 30 minutes before checking the level)
Is too much oil likely to cause any damage to engine or affect performance?
Many thanks
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Is too much engine oil dangerous?

Post by fish »

"Very slightly", no.
More than that.....not good.
If concerned, try the old finger over a drinking straw to remove a bit of the COLD oil.
Fish
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

I purchased a 2013 PCX150 in 2018 with only 7 actual miles on it. Somehow even though I was VERY sure the oil was correct on the dipstick, the motor seized up three months after I began driving it around. odd I had it rebuilt at a independent cycle shop.

The Honda scooter booklets call for 800 ml or roughly .8 quarts. Since the rebuild, after an oil change, I simply pour in the whole quart and only look at the Honda dipstick on the center stand. My independent mechanic doesn't think one quart will cause damage, At least it is a known amount.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It’s certainly not dangerous.

Doesn’t really cause any harm either.

Only potential issue, depending on the engine design, is crank splash which will knock off a teeny bit of performance and economy.
BristolRoversfc
Color: Grey

Post by BristolRoversfc »

Thanks for the replies.
I think to be on the safe side,I will take a little bit out and keep checking the level each time until it reaches the full mark on dipstick.
Not sure how you use a straw,but I do have a long pipette so will use that.
Thanks again.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If oil overfilled, excess can be blown out the breather and clog the airfilter.
Always measure with the dipstick resting on the threads, do not screw it in to check the level.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

gn2 wrote:If oil overfilled, excess can be blown out the breather and clog the airfilter.
Always measure with the dipstick resting on the threads, do not screw it in to check the level.
Thank you for this comment. I had been looking in the manual for this detail and wasn’t able to find it.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

you you wrote:It’s certainly not dangerous.

Doesn’t really cause any harm either.

Only potential issue, depending on the engine design, is crank splash which will knock off a teeny bit of performance and economy.
Have read that oil level which is incorrectly dunking moving parts can cause the oil to be whipped. Foaming oil does not lubricate well.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

As Fish stated.. Foaming is the big culprit.Although engine oils today have additives that minimize this from happening it still would be a problem in an overfilled crankcase. Air bubbles causes the oil pump to cavitate and pump air instead of solid viscious oil.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:As Fish stated.. Foaming is the big culprit.Although engine oils today have additives that minimize this from happening it still would be a problem in an overfilled crankcase. Air bubbles causes the oil pump to cavitate and pump air instead of solid viscious oil.
Fish stated (sic) that foaming oil doesn't lubricate as wel. It does.

Now you are extrapolating that to oil pump cavitation. That would be an issue, if it was a possibility, if the PCX ran plain bearings. Do you know why?

Does the PCX run plain crank bearings?

Let's not over think this to a completely ridiculous degree. The OP is a little worried that he might have a teeny bit to much oil in his scooter.

It'll be fine if that is the case.itll be fine if it isn't the case.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You are right about this little engine.I think we were communicating the bigger picture relating to overfilling a crankase.Not going to be an issue on this little single piston motor however.The discussion went to what generally happens when a crankase is overfilled.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Some people like their oil shaken . . . not stirred. :lol:

The fresh oil in my XMax looks golden clear after a hundred miles. I'll change it if it starts looking like an Irish Coffee that went through a blender. ;)

Thanks for the tip! :D

As an aside just remember it's all about "preparation" to get it right! :geek:

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:Some people like their oil shaken . . . not stirred. :lol:

The fresh oil in my XMax looks golden clear after a hundred miles. I'll change it if it starts looking like an Irish Coffee that went through a blender. ;)

Thanks for the tip! :D

As an aside just remember it's all about "preparation" to get it right! :geek:

:lol: :lol:
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

jburner wrote:
gn2 wrote:If oil overfilled, excess can be blown out the breather and clog the airfilter.
Thank you for this comment. I had been looking in the manual for this detail and wasn’t able to find it.

August 14, 2019
I just put my scooter on a do it yourself life to replace the variator. While doing that, I changed the air filter. I found a few drops of oil on part of the housing where
in the next 30 months it wouldn't affect ANYTHING. I wiped it out. Because I lost an engine, I don't trust the 800 ml specification and will use the full quart
at oil change time.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Why overfill? full is full just like tight is tight and enough is enough.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

relic wrote:Why overfill? full is full just like tight is tight and enough is enough.
+1
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

relic wrote:Why overfill? full is full just like tight is tight and enough is enough.
I follow the oil level recommendations to the under drop on all my cars and my previous Ninja 500. I just can't get over not seeing oil low on my original Honda PCX engine, and losing the engine. It didn't make any sense.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:
I follow the oil level recommendations to the under drop on all my cars and my previous Ninja 500. I just can't get over not seeing oil low on my original Honda PCX engine, and losing the engine. It didn't make any sense.
Do an oil change and forget the new oil?
Seen it happen.
Fish
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:I purchased a 2013 PCX150 in 2018 with only 7 actual miles on it. Somehow even though I was VERY sure the oil was correct on the dipstick, the motor seized up three months after I began driving it around. odd I had it rebuilt at a independent cycle shop.

The Honda scooter booklets call for 800 ml or roughly .8 quarts. Since my motor rebuild, after an oil change, I simply pour in the whole quart and only look at the Honda dipstick on the center stand. My independent mechanic doesn't think one quart will cause damage, At least it is a known amount.
===================================================================================================

August 27 2019

Comment, Initially I searched for and found some of the earlier owner pamphlets that usually come with the scooter new, on line.

Generally the literature says to fill oil to 800 ml. Fine ! But in one 2010 pamphlet, I downloaded, I was surprised to see not 800, but 900 ml ! huh ?

So this kinda confirms my prejudice (base on losing a virtually brand new 2013 motor in 2018) that the PCX150 probably had some minor changes
in the engine, and that is why I lean towards not putting in not less than 900 ml on a 2013 !
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My 2010 125 was definitely 900ml
The correct amount of oil is listed in the owner's manual which comes with the scooter.
Sight glasses better than dipsticks.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong