Rear wheel not spinning

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

snake

Rear wheel not spinning

Post by snake »

Hey guys. Cracking weather here in London - 32C in the shade, beautiful PCX weather.

Noticed the scoot was a little harder to push than normal, with a slight whirring sound coming from rear wheel. Scooter was riding just fine before then. Up on stand rear wheel doesn't free-spin at all when I push it, and makes the same little whirring noise. To be honest I can't remember what the wheel spun like before, but this seems different. I had to ride home from where I was and again it felt completely fine.

Any ideas? Have I just remembered wrong and the rear wheel is normally a bit sticky? I doubt that - but is this a common problem that anyone else has encountered?

Thanks.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Rear wheel not spinning

Post by OriginalRocket »

Some resistance to hand turning the rear wheel is normal. Hard to describe.

I think ony the USA version has the parking brake.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Make sure the brakes aren't dragging, take off the rear shoes if needed...
still won't spin then you might be screwed :roll:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Could it be as simple as adjusting the rear brake adjusting nut? (Pg. 122-123 in my 125 owners manual)
That certainly would be an easy fix, ... If it were this.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I think ony the USA version has the parking brake.[/quote]
I have the US version with the so-called parking brake. I'll be talking to the dealer about it because it doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody experience this?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

yeah the parking brake is lame. I removed mine among many other parts :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

American version here and parking brake lock works (for what it's worth :roll: ) This is another boog-a-boo like the seat latch. Finicky bits but it doesn't stop ya from riding. :P
Back to rear wheel spin for a moment: Bike on center stand, just how much resistance (grabbing) power should there be while spinning the wheel by hand? Min., Medium grab or more? How do you know when enough is enough while adjusting the rear brake nut?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
snake

Post by snake »

Cheers all. A few days on, I *THINK* the resistance I'm feeling is probably normal, but I'm due my next service soon and I'll ask them to check it out. Thanks for the advice.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

My parking brake does nothing but I think I'll never have a use for it
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

If mine is on the centerstand and I try to spin it, it'll go maybe 1 or 2 rotations before stopping. Some resistance is normal, but if it stops IMMEDIATELY after you're done pushing it, your rear bearings may be shot.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good to know that Dave. Doesn't adjusting the rear brake nut affect the rear wheel spin speed? I'm needing some clarification, kinda confused :roll:
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

PKrellner wrote:I think ony the USA version has the parking brake. I have the US version with the so-called parking brake. I'll be talking to the dealer about it because it doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody experience this?
Mine didn't work when i bought it. All i had to do was get the rear brake adjusted just right with the adjustment nut for the parking brake to work. Too tight and it doesn't work, too loose and it doesn't work.
WhiteNoise wrote:Good to know that Dave. Doesn't adjusting the rear brake nut affect the rear wheel spin speed? I'm needing some clarification, kinda confused :roll:
No, not unless it is adjusted so tight that the brake won't fully release.

Per the service manual:
DSC00305.JPG
DSC00305.JPG (48.14 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
When adjusted properly there will be no brake drag and the parking brake will work great. For mine it is right at 10mm.