Centrestand woes.... sound familiar...?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Centrestand woes.... sound familiar...?

Post by gn2 »

Tonight when I got home from work and parked my scooter on its centrestand, one of the centre stand mount lugs parted company with the rest of the crankcase.
I'm not a very happy bunny to put it mildly.
Despite the warranty being over I will be taking the issue up with Honda UK in the morning.
The good news is that it hasn't caused an oil leak but I'm very much less than impressed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Centrestand woes.... sound familiar...?

Post by Alibally »

It seems like a bit of a weak point. No doubt you'll keep us all informed how you get on.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Just remove the center stand and ride!
sorted :lol: :lol:
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

isn't it interesting we were just discussing the center stand vs the side stand in another forum subject here??!! other than working on the scooter, your experience here sure makes me like the side stand more and more. let us know what the dealer does, esp with the expired warranty.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

I'm getting a bit concerned now about so many reported centre stand issues. I use mine every day and I'm just waiting for something to go wrong with it.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Keep some Spray Grease sprayed into Those Center Stand Pivot Mounts for sure....!!!!!.....gn2, will be very interested in Honda's response..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I'm expecting two digits extended vertically...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Awful & you just lubed your center stand. So why did this happen? I've always been in favor of using the center stand. Now this habit may change. I'm another that's interested to hear what Honda has to say. Hmmm, After all the miles, and experience you have with your PCX....they should Award you with one!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

gn2 wrote:I'm expecting two digits extended vertically...
Have you considered just buying a new bike? From the pictures you put of it on the centre stand how to thread, the bike looks in pretty poor condition after the amount of use you have had out of it and now with the cost of getting the centre stand fixed maybe it's time now to get a new bike? Maybe not brand new but you can pick them up 1-2 years old in good condition with low miles for not too much money.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Larry David wrote:
gn2 wrote:I'm expecting two digits extended vertically...
Have you considered just buying a new bike?
-----------
GN2 is looking forward to the new Forza 300.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

New bike is on the horizon, I was planning on trading up in spring next year.
The corrosion on the bike is just cosmetic, the function is not impaired.
Apart from the forks which I have already replaced.
My scoter has not been abused in any way, it has been ridden carefully on UK roads in all weathers.

My opinion is that the centre stand mount lugs are not strong enough for the job and that this is a design/manufacturing fault.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:
My opinion is that the centre stand mount lugs are not strong enough for the job and that this is a design/manufacturing fault.
Yep, "beginning to" look like a possible Design Issue for sure.....I put 10,000+ miles on my PCX125 (have over 2000+ on the PCX150 now), but never had this issue....I checked (125) and checking (150) the Bolts constantly for tightness (had this issue on Silver Wings), and kept and keeping them sprayed with Liquid Wrench Brand spray grease....hope I have no encounters with this issue.....UGH....!!!!!... :(
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

skuuter wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Yep, "beginning to" look like a possible Design Issue for sure.....I put 10,000+ miles on my PCX125 (have over 2000+ on the PCX150 now), but never had this issue....I checked (125) and checking (150) the Bolts constantly for tightness (had this issue on Silver Wings), and kept and keeping them sprayed with Liquid Wrench Brand spray grease....hope I have no encounters with this issue.....UGH....!!!!!... :(
Is the brand of grease spray important or will most suffice? That liquid wrench spray only seems to be available in the US. I'm from the UK.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

As far as the centrestand pivot goes anything that can resist a bit of heat should do.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

gn2 wrote:As far as the centrestand pivot goes anything that can resist a bit of heat should do.
Whereabouts on the centre stand should I be spraying? And should I have it on the centre stand or the side stand whilst doing it?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You need to disassemble the centrestand to lubricate the pivot properly.
Have a look in the How-To section ;)
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:You need to disassemble the centrestand to lubricate the pivot properly.
Have a look in the How-To section ;)
So far I've managed to keep ours from ever tightening up by spraying the Grease in them (...it's the penetrating type, then gels/thickens after setting)...I did slide the one on mine partially out once on the PCX125 at about 7,000 miles, but it was still free, so I sprayed it and returned it to it's mounts...I told the New Owner last year to keep it sprayed also. As far as I know, no issue......."yet"...... ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The same thing happened to my PCX, see this relevant thread: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205

And here's a picture of what it looked like on my PCX:

It's a disappointing flaw. I've heard it happen to one other person on this forum, and the crack actually caused oil leakage. o_O
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wonder what set-up the Forza will have :?
A PCX flaw? maybe true. :( About the lube then, I have same question about product used: could we have a few "labels type" examples mentioned? As it seems we all don't have each others product available to us? Also, would that be aerosol (spray) or.....?
Your feedback is much appreciated, as Always folks :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

WhiteNoise wrote:Wonder what set-up the Forza will have :?
A PCX flaw? maybe true. :( About the lube then, I have same question about product used: could we have a few "labels type" examples mentioned? As it seems we all don't have each others product available to us? Also, would that be aerosol (spray) or.....?
Your feedback is much appreciated, as Always folks :)
WD-40, YEILD, Liquid Wrench, Bust-A-Nut, Penray Lithium Grease. I see no reason you cant just use regular grease you would use on any driveline for a car or truck. The biggest thing is that you keep up with it and make sure it doesnt get dry.