Memories of my Dad

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Memories of my Dad

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I like to listen to YouTube videos of these old Suzuki's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZAKz1dI3Fc

First bike my Dad owned. I remember the distinct sound. I could hear him coming home from work - I would hurry outside to try to catch him before he put it away. I was too small to ride on the back, so he would sit me in front of him, kind of between the gas tank and the seat. I remember holding on to that gas cap, his big arms on either side of me. He would ride around the yard, up and down the hills - it was so much fun! Later he would strap a helmet to my head and take me for a ride "around the block", which out in farm country was probably at least 3 miles :D

Sometimes, as he was putting it away in the cellar, my knee would bump or scrape the door frame. I remember not wanting to say ouch - for some reason I thought I might not get more rides.

His second bike was the Honda 360. By then I was big enough to ride on the back. Here he is in the front yard - waiting for me :)

I miss my Dad.
Attachments
Dad.png
Dad.png (300.95 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Memories of my Dad

Post by willajabir »

Awesome memories...
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Aha the Bloop, haven't seen one of those for donkey's years, reminds me of my yoof.
Funny how we are shaped by our parents, you maybe took to riding due to those happy memories, as a teenager I took up riding in part because my mother forbid it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

gn2 wrote:Aha the Bloop, haven't seen one of those for donkey's years, reminds me of my yoof.
Funny how we are shaped by our parents, you maybe took to riding due to those happy memories, as a teenager I took up riding in part because my mother forbid it.
I'm sure those memories played a role.

And as step-mother to 2 boys at the end of their teenage years, all I can do is sigh :roll:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great post, thanks for sharing the memories!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Since I didn't grow up with any parents, I can't say that I had any fond memories. However, my daughter (well. the youngest daughter) has fond memories of me picking her up from daycare on my motorcycle when I was in college. I would put her little bicycle helmet on her, swing her up behind me, wrap a double belt around both of us, and ride the 2 miles to our house on campus at a breakneck speed of 10 mph. She loved it, and to this day she tells me how much she loved riding behind me on the big motorcycle (it was a little Honda 350cc). She is the only one I ever did that with. I think the other 5 kids are jealous of those memories, but I wouldn't swear to it. They act like it was no big deal, but you can see something in their eyes that says different.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Mel46 wrote:Since I didn't grow up with any parents, I can't say that I had any fond memories. However, my daughter (well. the youngest daughter) has fond memories of me picking her up from daycare on my motorcycle when I was in college. I would put her little bicycle helmet on her, swing her up behind me, wrap a double belt around both of us, and ride the 2 miles to our house on campus at a breakneck speed of 10 mph. She loved it, and to this day she tells me how much she loved riding behind me on the big motorcycle (it was a little Honda 350cc). She is the only one I ever did that with. I think the other 5 kids are jealous of those memories, but I wouldn't swear to it. They act like it was no big deal, but you can see something in their eyes that says different.
That's awesome - maybe they don't know what they're missing :)
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:cry: 6footer I'm jealous. Your Dad sounds like he was really cool and being able to ride with him like that, Priceless!! My Dad had no interest in motorcycles, but his best friend did! His friend was like a Dad to Me and had rode this (I was told it was a Harley? But the source that gave me info is questionable). Wish I were born when he had it, I would've rode with him like you n your Dad did ;)
I'm guessing this photo is mid-late 1930's, maybe? (Both Dad's gone too. Miss miss miss them)
Attachments
Dad Sheehan
Dad Sheehan
image.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Whitenoise - wish your Dad's friend would have kept the bike! I can't tell if that's a Harley, but my brother probably could. Awesome pic.