Loosing oil.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Loosing oil.

Post by edscoot »

I just came back from an errand and thought the engine smelled a bit hot so I checked the oil as per manual. The dip stick was dry!

Instead of topping it up, I thought it would be better to just change the oil again. I filled it last time with exactly 800ml of 10w30, when iI measured what came out it was 700ml :o

I always change the oil half way between services (1250 after the last service) , I now have exactly 7000ml on the clock which means it's used 100ml of oil in 750 miles.

I can't see where it's gone - there are no obvious leaks or stains and there is never any oil on the garage floor.

Normally I don't bother cleaning the oil strainer, leaving this for the dealer to do when it gets serviced. However, I've just taken it out and there is what I think is a lot of swarf, several thin slivers of about 1mm in length on the strainer, on the spring and in the bowl behind the nut (if you know what I mean). Is this normal? I'm used to doing car maintenance where you just change the oil and chuck the old filter away - you can't see what's inside.

As to where the oil went, I have no idea. The coolant is clean, so no cylinder head gasket probs. It's never used one drop of oil before. :?
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Loosing oil.

Post by edscoot »

That should say losing oil.
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Well when I cleaned my screen for the first time, there was some gunk in there and some metal shards. I think that this is normal for the first time or two that the screen is cleaned. As far as losing oil goes... The last time I changed my oil, I torqued the bolt to spec and did some driving for a day. When I came home, I noticed a spot on my garage floor as I was pulling in. I looked and it turned out to be oil from my PCX. I checked the bolt and it was loose! Oil had been slowly dripping out and making a mess all over the back of my bike. So, I torqued the bolt until I felt sufficient and topped the oil off. As far as where yours is going, you may want to check and make sure everything is tight. Other than that, it may be something you will want to have the dealer check out and it may be an issue covered under warranty.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Ed
just a quick note you need to check the oil cold and on the level,straight after a ride will not give you a reading......
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

trigg123 wrote:Ed
just a quick note you need to check the oil cold and on the level,straight after a ride will not give you a reading......
Manual says complete opposite, at least 3 minutes idle running with scooter on main stand and then wait another few minutes and then check. This (and this time I mean it!) is the last vehicle I buy with such a BS convoluted way of checking the oil. If I can't check it with in the morning, cold, just by reading off the dipstick or checking a glass, I'm not fucking buying it!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Alternatively, don't check the oil at all.
Much less hassle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

fiah, i didnt know that,but seems ridiculous,as that cant be a correct level if the oil is around the engine,ive never checked oil in any other way in my life....
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

trigg123 wrote:fiah, i didnt know that,but seems ridiculous,as that cant be a correct level if the oil is around the engine,ive never checked oil in any other way in my life....
My motorcycle has a dry sump (separate oil tank), with the dipstick in the oil tank (not the sump). The only way to check the oil with any accuracy is with a warm engine, leaving it idle for 3 minutes then immediately checking the oil. If you think that sounds like a hassle, imagine my disdain when I found out that the procedure for the PCX is even worse! And to think that Honda says that you ought to check the oil before every ride..
Attachments
pcxoil.png
pcxoil.png (157.63 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Checking the oil is a pain in the butt.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Is the scooter still under warranty? You could take it in and have them look.

Does it smell like it's burning oil at all?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

There's no oil getting burnt. No smoke or anything. I've done over 200 miles since changing the oil and its at the correct level still, but I'm keeping my eye on it. I'll mention it to the dealer when it goes for it's 7.5k service which won't be long now. All the crap in the oil strainer was a shock though. This should be cleaned out at each service, so all the stuff I found will be new. I might put a couple of tell tales around before the next service to see what goes on ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mine smells hot when the roads are wet, it's the dirt on the exhaust pipe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

First time I took my PCX for a ride I got the smell of hot mud and water on the exhaust - it took me straight back to 30 years ago riding trials bikes as a teenager. The roads were were dry when I noticed the hotter than usual smell, and nothing on the exhaust or engine casing.