Hello! Hopeful new owner of a 2013 150!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

endewey89
Year: 2013
Color: red

Hello! Hopeful new owner of a 2013 150!

Post by endewey89 »

Sorry, I might go into topics well delved into, or rant a bit. Links are helpful :)

Im 25, in arizona, and if all goes well, will own a 2013 PCX with 11k miles. I'll be looking at it tomorrow in the morning, but won't purchase until friday(regrettably at latest, Craigslist ad, only honda i've found). I've ridden honda dirtbikes and had a civic, loved em.

The one in question has 11k miles, and I dont know much about scooters, but I am no typical user. anything I have I take care of and ensure it is maintained. I enjoy self servicing when I can. However, I know nothing about scooters or motorcycles. I changed my own oil in my civic, all it ever needed. I hope to learn more about the service record of the original owner tomorrow, but what can I expect maintenance wise? Should I do anything no matter what, after purchase? Are there things to look for in a 2013 150 w/ 11k mi? this will be my daily driver. Also, is $2000 for a 2013 bought in aug 2013 a decent price? Highest mileage I've seen online is 7k, for a few hundred more. Are there questions I should be asking that I am not? Any suggested questions for the original owner? red flags? Also, safety equipment? I know it's good to have, but ive done 55mph down a mountain wearing less than a pair of jeans weighs. Right now looking for a reliable helmet brand. more will come, but what is reasonable? I expect to do no more than 45 for the time being.

Feel Free to skip this, just introducing myself :)
I'm 25, one cheap....guy. Havent bought gas in 5 years(hence the scooter). I get around on a road bike, but my range of 10-15mi one way is cutting into job opportunities, The 200 mi weeks get old, and I think i have found a goldmine. As a friendly 2-wheeler, a cyclist, i think you guys have something, though to be honest, I never viewed myself riding a scooter. However, my parents recently offered to buy me a scooter(mom doesn't approve of crotch rockets XD. Now that I have a proposed free scooter, I'm getting rather excited, I had forgotten the simple life of getting around on point and shoot transportation. It has its appeals! But again, I'm cheap, and wouldn't want a car/big car. I've been reading the forums, where theres a lot of info, but sometimes it's hard finding those great posts that really tell you what you want. I hope to be a long time poster, I only need the right assistance. Please leave dickish replies unposted though, they aren't needed. I'm a noob, I know it. I want to learn.
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Re: Hello! Hopeful new owner of a 2013 150!

Post by danieljw »

Welcome to the forum.

Being front the uk, I can't comment on the price sorry, but what I will say is 11k miles is still very low for a modern day 125, understand that these will happily travel upwards of 75k miles if looked after properly. I would take a look at the bikes service book, and see what service stamps it's got in there, servicing a pcx is less than a 30 Min job! Also make sure you test ride it and listen out for any wierd noses / bangs / rattles that you don't think should be there. Another thing if there's no history of the valves being adjusted you might want to get it into a honda dealers and have them looked at unless you can do it yourself.

One more note on mileage.

You will always see lower mileage ones around, this is nothing to do with the reliability of the honda pcx, this is purely to do with the honda pcx is still a relitivly new bike in the market, and hasn't been around long enough for people to rack up super high mileage, but I assure you the Honda pcx is capable of it.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

You sound like you're on a budget, so I'd recommend this HJC, which I believe is the popular brand for budget helmets:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc- ... arr-helmet

As for other gear, you might want to look at AGV gear. Can't make much recommendations without knowing your preference(warm/cold weather), but CE rated armor is preferred typically.

The choice of gear is up to you, but I wouldn't underestimate how easy it is to get hurt. Case in point, I broke both bones in my lower left leg after low siding off the road at 5-10 mph during a left turn, about two weeks after I bought my PCX. I don't have much buyer's remorse in the fact that I shelled out over $3,000 in protective gear.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

If I were buying used given what I've learned here there are some things I would look at right off and someone should post a short list called (kicking the tires). Oh what the heck I will start one for the used buyer right now and all can summit there favorite tip.

homey
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Box BX-1 (not the BZ-1 / SZ-1) get 4 stars on the sharp Gov site for safety and for £40 seem well made and the lining is really nice. You can also get a new visor/pin-lock (for anti-mist) but that adds the cost of the helmet again.

One of the best for 5 start rating, great reviews and costs £79 inc delivery is the MT revenge (one of them is now <£64 inc delivery (on offer))
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... t_cat/1294
You can add a dual visor (anti mist) for £30 or a new visor/pinlock for £40, but the helmet itself for safety, comfort and quality is great for £69 all in.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

I just bought a 2013 PCX150 in Phoenix.... 2 weeks ago. It had 2,000 miles. Asking price $2,500. I got it for $2,300. Then paid $300 to check the valve adjustment (the valves did not need adjusting) and replacement of the reserve coolant tank (previous owner did not know that the tank was broken).
I had been shopping for 3 months. No one would bargain below $2,800 since all of the sellers had paid $3,800 less than one year ago; but all of the scooters were under 4,000 miles. Then I read on this forum about dealers discounting brand new 2013's. Sure enuf, one of the local dealers had 2 brand new 2013's for $2,600 ( you would have to negotiate the $310 dealer fee that is added).
Only pay $2,000 for that one with 11,000 miles if the owner has complete service records. I would normally encourage you to bargain down the price, but if it sells to someone else you might have to wait months before another one comes up for sale for $2,000.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is the biggest thing to look out for at that mileage. There have been some of these that have had a problem with some bearings. However, you can hear the problem area if the bearings are going out. The rear area sounds like there is gravel in the gearing. The solution is simple enough if you can replace the main part yourself. There should be a thread on the problem on this forum. This problem only affects a small percentage of the bikes. Otherwise, this little scooter just keeps going and going. Make sure the oil has been changed recently, or you can grab a quart of full synthetic 5w-30 and change it yourself in 10 minutes. There is a thread on that too. If it doesn't have any accessories already, there are probably threads on that also. My wife and i have 2 2013 pcx 150 scooters and we love them. Only one of them has had the bearing problem. Both have tall Givi windshields and Givi tailboxes. Then there is the seat. Most owners swap out that seat soon after buying the bike. Oh, and also check the tires. At 11K miles the rear tire should have been replaced already. The front should be getting close, though we have have 12k on ours and still has some tread.

I hope this helps. The 2013 pcx150 is a great little bike and should be able to top out in the 60-67 mph range, depending on the belt. Which should be replaced at 15k miles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome :)
Free is a good price, but I might lean towards another free one with less miles or a solid maintenance record.

Gear... go to a store(or good online return policy) and try some different brands on, they all have slight differences.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

The mileage is a bit concerning. Basically, multiply whatever miles a motorcycle has by 4 and you get it's equivalent in car miles. Because basically, a motorcycle that makes it to 50k is an anomaly. And going past 60k is a miracle! Sure, you have the odd story of people getting 100k out of a bike, but those are rare.

I bought a used 2013 with 16 miles on it last May for $2300 in perfect cond.

Basically, if you're going to be putting a lot of miles on it, it may be even more imperative that you purchase something with lower miles. If it were me, I'd spend a few hundred more for a low mileage example. Just be patient. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

ScooterMan wrote:The mileage is a bit concerning. Basically, multiply whatever miles a motorcycle has by 4 and you get it's equivalent in car miles. Because basically, a motorcycle that makes it to 50k is an anomaly. And going past 60k is a miracle! Sure, you have the odd story of people getting 100k out of a bike, but those are rare.

I bought a used 2013 with 16 miles on it last May for $2300 in perfect cond.

Basically, if you're going to be putting a lot of miles on it, it may be even more imperative that you purchase something with lower miles. If it were me, I'd spend a few hundred more for a low mileage example. Just be patient. =)
i don't mean to sound rude, but some 11000 miles is nothing!!
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

endewey89

Post by endewey89 »

Well, for shorter distances I'll be using my road bike. I hope it danieljw is more correct than scooterman...Because I now own it. Circumstances dictate I act fast or not at all, and I need more range than I wish to consistently put in on my road bike. pics coming soon
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Don't sweat the mileage too much. It's just that quite often (more than not) scooters are purchased by newbies who quickly decide they want something larger, or get scared by a car, or can't handle winter riding. So, lots of low mileage offerings out there. You got a decent price. So don't sweat it, and enjoy riding it!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
endewey89

Post by endewey89 »

thanks! he seemed an avid rider, kinda in the spot im in, lack of money, cares for what he has. he really did show some sorrow finally letting it go. he explained how he cared for it, and i'm no scooter expert, but I am a cyclist, and the avid cyclists aren't hard to spot when selling their bikes. No tears, but he was sad. Also, those who maintain their scoot, what do you say when asked for maintenance records? a bike is easier to tell than a scoot by far.

one thing is he said he replaced the oil every 3k mi(himself). I see people changing their oil like 1k mi. is this a problem? i thought the manual said every 2.5k mi, but i checked the manual, and it says 5k mi. i dont know when I'll be able to replace this scoot, so I want to take care of my baby like its fresh out of the womb. He did suggest I replace the rollers and back tire, any estimate of cost? I am mechanically inclined, but I only have basic tools. I need to do more reading, but as far as panel removal, well, in my old civic, i removed every interior panel to dynamat it(drop the BASS!! 148 dB lol). I used to install car audio too, so i know the "feel", but I basically know nothing of scooter rear ends. I know it's hard to tell, but at idle it does not pull(clutch issue, never listened for the grinding...i'll inspect tomorrow. I really want to get some feeler gauges and test the valves. Owner said take it to a dealer, not an option right now...

its quiet, doesn't pull at idle, there is no slack in the throttle cable(ok, some, like you'd have to try to not accelerate to find it which I assume is normal). took it to 45 and it definitely doesnt turn like my 19 lbs road bike haha. I also had no helmet, that was scary.

This brings up a question, do I turn more, or bank more? on my road bicycle i maybe turn my bars 3-5 degrees, but I bank like crazy. I love it. it's like a jet fighter, dig in and hold on. banking does not feel natural, and I'm still nervous on turns. Granted, never owned a powered 2 wheeler, and I know I cant get low like gxp'ers(right acronym?). Still, I guess I need to find the balance...and a helmet. Im no longer looking for a scoot, but I am definitely looking for riding tips. I know it will come with time, but the seating is so different. Im used to my butt above my handlebars, and bars about 18" further out than my pcx!

Any advice is helpful! and if it has been discussed before, links and search words are appreciated!

Thank you guys! (and girls, if there have been any)
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:D :D I used to road race, plus mountain bike and have tens of thousands of kms up on my bikes, still own a sports folding bike but it's been neglected since I got the PCX.

You can bank at a much greater angle on the scoot with the power getting you out of any trouble. It won't take long to learn how much throttle you can use as you bank and turn. I loved my pushies, but the PCX is a whole new ballgame. I've described it to my friends as being like a cross between skiing, flying and ballroom dancing, except for the part when I nearly crap myself cornering too fast. :D :D
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Sounds like you'll be working on the scooter yourself. In that case, the best thing you can do immediately is get yourself a copy of the service manual. The Honda manual is good, very detailed.

I got mine here, shipping was fast.

http://www.service-shop-repair-manual.c ... ir-manual/
'88 BMW R100RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you read this forum a lot you will find that there is a "How-to" section that will help you do just about anything you need to on this scooter. Also, don't be frightened by the miles that are on that scooter. When I had my Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter, which is much bigger than this little scooter but not as agile, there were owners on that forum who had over 100,000 miles on them. It all depends on how well you maintain and ride your scooter. Maddiedog doesn't comment on this forum any more, thanks to one bad member, but he belongs to another scooter club that rides old scooters for outings. Many of those are antiques now but still running.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers