Help with storage?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

alesiajade

Help with storage?

Post by alesiajade »

Hi Guys!

Okay.. here's the dilemma. I am a university student, and as part of my degree I have to carry around a huge portfolio. It looks something like this > http://tesco.scene7.com/is/image/tesco/ ... 493&ht=538 < and it has a shoulder strap.
What I'm wondering, is how could I carry this on a scooter? I don't have the PCX yet, that's a couple weeks away, but was hoping to get some ideas. As far as I can tell looking around online, a top box won't be an option for something this size and shape, neither would the underseat storage. Does anyone have any ideas? Would putting on the pillion part of the seat with a cargo net over the top suffice?
Let me know what you think, and feel free to offer any solutions!
Thanks,

Alesia
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Re: Help with storage?

Post by stryder123 »

Looks like an awkward package. How about a home made pouch with straps and carry it like a backpack?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You might have to shoulder that like a rifle... but I doubt it has loops to attach a sling.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi and Oh dear newbie, this is a tough one. Will you be needing this every ride? You don't want to cause wind resistance, or have it cause bodily interference with you so.....yeah, that portfolio is looking Big. Will you be carrying luggage, say a taller tailbag? Will you be getting a rear rack installed by dealer? Windscreen?
What speed will you be traveling to/from the university? If slow speeds are all, then wind resistance isn't quite that big of a problem. But still...... :roll: we have a large object here.
Fellow peeps?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
alesiajade

Post by alesiajade »

It's A3 size, so yes very awkward! It would be a couple times a week that I'd need to be taking it along with me, I'd wondered about a backpack big enough to hold it, but would that then just put up too much resistance? It would only be for a very short trip fortunately. 80kph max for a 5 minute drive, it's only an 8km trip.
Does anyone think it'd sit on the seat okay? Flat with a net over it? Hmm... Tricky...
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

I have carried a photography tripod rifle style with success. The problem with carrying things this way is safety. A small pack isn't an aerodynamic problem but a big pack is. A soft pack isn't a problem either but anything hard is! The few times I have ridden with my tripod I am extra careful and slow down.

To the OP - I think your best option would be a rear rack and straps to hold it down. This way you could carry it safely.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sit it it on the footboard and hold it in place with your leg.
Or hang it from the mirrors by the shoulder strap.
Or sit it on the tunnel between your knees.
Should that not work for you, single bungees are far easier to use and more secure than a cargo net.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

gn2 wrote: Should that not work for you, single bungees are far easier to use and more secure than a cargo net.
Agreed, make sure you get some good ones from any good bike store.
aka DrewJW
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Maybe you could try something like this. I see it all the time in Thailand, but I think Vietnam is king of the motorcycle delivery packing.
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
motordupe30.jpg
motordupe30.jpg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I'm trying to think outside of the box, so to speak. What about placing it along the left side with part of it resting on the passenger footpeg. Bungee it from the center stand across to the plastic on the other side of the bike. I am sure you can also find a way to k3eep it from sliding backward when you accelerate. I have not triedd this but it just seemed to have less resistance than any other way, in my mind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alesiajade

Post by alesiajade »

speedandstyle wrote:I have carried a photography tripod rifle style with success. The problem with carrying things this way is safety. A small pack isn't an aerodynamic problem but a big pack is. A soft pack isn't a problem either but anything hard is! The few times I have ridden with my tripod I am extra careful and slow down.

To the OP - I think your best option would be a rear rack and straps to hold it down. This way you could carry it safely.

Okay.. I know Im going to sound like an idiot, but since a couple people have mentioned it, I'd like to clarify! What is rifle style? I've never heard that term being used, if someone has a picture that'd be a great help! Im thinking I may not be able to solve this quite until I actually have the scoot and can play around with popping it in different places... ah well.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Rifle style - AKA sling style. The picture shows a very fancy sling by the way. My tripod bag has just a strap that I run from my right shoulder to my left waist.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh good, it'll be short trips at lower speeds. Then some of the ideas mentioned here will work. The idea is Not to haul it where it will distract you, get in the way, or become dangerous to you. Personally, I wouldn't wear it. Ye of little riding experience and on strange roads, shouldn't either. But that's not the only reason. If you should fall, you don't want that to be attached to you. In My opinion. I tend to be overly cautious. My age. Experience. Probably speaking.
Good luck, you will find a safe way. I have faith ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
alesiajade

Post by alesiajade »

Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone! And thanks speedandstyle for the picture! Not sure I'd be able to strap it up like that, but always worth a try I suppose. Again thanks! Ill post back here once I have the scoot and have tried carrying this monster folder around.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Get this:
http://www.rokstraps.com/

Then you can run the strap around the handle and use that to carry it sling style. However, I have no idea if it would be uncomfortable or unbalanced.

It still sounds strange for you to be required to carry that instead of a backpack.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

I would just strap it flat over the back seat and a top box mount.

Alternatively you could do something like this http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2750
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
alesiajade

Post by alesiajade »

Valiant wrote:It still sounds strange for you to be required to carry that instead of a backpack.
It's a pain in the bum, but it's required for a good reason! I'm an architecture student and I have to carry around A3 sketches/plans along with A3 pads etc. This size won't' fit in a normal backpack and as a lot of it is assessment material needs to sit properly in an art portfolio.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

images.jpg
images.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
not a problem for some folks

wait is that a GUN?... OMG!
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (46.08 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

A3 paper is 16.5 inches long, and cases for that size paper run about 18.5 inches in length. That is not much larger than the 16 inch wide soft briefcase that I carry frequently.

Your case has a shoulder strap. Wearing the case at your side will let it flop around in the wind. Shorten the strap, then rest the bottom of the case on the seat - either in front of you or behind you, whichever is more comfortable.

If you are doing higher speeds, put it in front and any wind that gets by the fairing will press the case against your chest.

If that is a problem, your case is only 15 inches wide and would easily strap down on the seat/rack. I would go to a camping store and get flat webbing straps rather than bungee cords.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Can't you use a tube case?