Front Box Confusion

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

kundalini
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Matte Grey

Front Box Confusion

Post by kundalini »

I've had my lovely 2015 PCX for only a couple of weeks now and it is the most fun I've had with my pants on in a good long time. However there is something that foxes me - The front box. I was quite impressed with this feature, thought it would be handy. I expected it would be lockable, so that was a disappointment, but I could live with that. The power socket inside made me excited about using a sat nav as I am a new rider I have no clue where anything is. This lead to the next problem; what to do with the front box door flap when you're driving? The manual states I shouldn't use the power socket without the engine on, but driving with that flap open seems like a terrible idea.

So far the most practical application I've found for my front box is stashing a cereal bar inside that I can eat while I am at work. Surely it has more of a point? What am I missing guys?

Is there a graceful way to power my sat nav from the front box without using tape to hold the flap shut, drilling holes or re-routing wires?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Front Box Confusion

Post by Jge64 »

Probably not, with some skill, a dremel and some touch up paint , you could get the door to shut with a space groove for the wire. Easier way is to reroute the usb to a weatherproof recepticle on the dash somewhere. 45 min labor, ill guess
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

One big hole and you can be graceful drilling it if you must.

Big enough bit to route any charging cords plug through the hole and pull it up the steering column with all the other cables to power whatever you like. Leave nothing for a thief outside the seats luggage box except the power cords :D not even your gloves... too expensive to replace.
Attachments
drill.JPG
drill.JPG (139.38 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
box.JPG
box.JPG (107.11 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
jack.JPG
jack.JPG (98.25 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Excellent mod....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
kundalini
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Matte Grey

Post by kundalini »

Cheers for the ideas guys. I can't for the life of me work out why they've not added such holes to the front box as standard. Seems like a bit of a pointless space otherwise.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Rode a few times with mine open, with the power outlet charging my satnav.
aka DrewJW
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums kundalini :)
There is another way (without using the glovebox) 12V port to power up your satnav.

Do you have a Battery Tender pigtail mounted on your battery terminals? If so, then you can buy an accessory using that pigtail, to power up your satnav. The pigtail with this accessory wire can remain safely locked under your seat

Here is Deltrane's website: http://www.batterytender.com
And their Accessory page: http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/

Some pics of what's needed: *(NOTE my comments above each photo)
HAVING A BATTERY TENDER IS NOT A BAD IDEA EITHER. Should you ever need it.

I have a 2015 as well. Below is a pic of my battery lid with the pigtail wire exiting through an existing opening.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (400.71 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
The ringed end of this pigtail gets connected to your battery terminals. The other end connects to the
The ringed end of this pigtail gets connected to your battery terminals. The other end connects to the
image.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
One end onnects to other end of the pigtail shown above, and the other end gives power to your SatNav's cigarette plug
One end onnects to other end of the pigtail shown above, and the other end gives power to your SatNav's cigarette plug
image.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie :lol: that is some frickin bit! I never saw the bit you used to do this. Wow!
Looking at "that" thing I could think of a few other things to do with that (heehee)....BUT! I will bit(e) my tongue instead :D

I REALLY LIKE how you did this and how you concealed the wiring. Ace job!
However...I dislike the Cluster of wiring and cables that run down the steering column. So many. I had to remove and replace one of those wires on my last scoot. Too much going on down there. It's amazing that they're not pinched out of commission. You know me....you know you :lol: it all has to be done....Just Right! (Monk said!) ;)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Whitenoise is right. Not only is a Batterytender essential, but buying one of those accessories for it is one of the easiest solutions to your problem. One of the first things I purchased after getting the scooters was a Batterytender. Believe me, we have gotten our money's worth from it. There is another advantage that I thought of, that worked well for me. I have a pigtail from my Batterytender attached to my battery. So does my wife's pcx. The Batterytender comes with two ways to connect it to a battery. The first is the pigtail. The second is the clips like battery cables have. We have two Batterytenders because we have two bikes. When my battery died, i connected the clips to the end of the pigtails on both of our bikes, connected those clips together, and started my bike off of hers. Presto, jumper cables built in.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

BAM! Love it more now 8)
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

I also use the Batterytender lead.

Never have used the front glove box; anything that would fit in it is small enough to carry on me. Probably forget it in there, anyway. 2013 doesn't have a power outlet there.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Nexxiss
Year: 2015
Color: black

Post by Nexxiss »

I have actually been thinking about putting foam in the box - and cut a slit for my phone/ipod - but I love the ideas
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oops, I almost forgot, I also use that battery tender pigtail (the one that's connected to my battery terminals) to fire up my Slime air compressor. Topping off tires made easy.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-50001-Power ... ompressors

It's surprisingly powerful, it's compact and comes with extra goodies. Price good too :P
>> Remember to check those tires now and then, esp. the front as it seems to lose faster than the rear.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nexxiss wrote:I have actually been thinking about putting foam in the box - and cut a slit for my phone/ipod - but I love the ideas
Noo...don't. Did you know that you can fit a 16.9 fl oz bottle of water in there and snap the door closed? No excuses now for Not staying hydrated. Stash a few ounces under the seat too.

Seeing is believin' :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 1862 times