Getting a PCX 125 on Saturday!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Getting a PCX 125 on Saturday!

Post by EmilyJEG »

I passed my CBT last Saturday, and this Saturday I'll hopefully be collecting my new scooter! I'm really nervous and I'm scared I might forget something, so I'd like some advice please :)

I need to buy a helmet and clothes before I get it, but I'm going on Friday to the shop (there are three right near me, so I should be fine). I'm hoping to get a jacket, trousers and shoes, and maybe a neck scarf thing because they're quite nice :lol: I'm going to try and sort the insurance tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I need in terms of equipment for the scooter though - a chain, I'm guessing? It's going to be stored in a locked compound which has mesh fencing and barbed wire on top (and CCTV), but I'm still a bit nervous about leaving it out! Is there a particular style of chain that is better than others? Or a different type of lock entirely? And how do I use it - where do I loop it through on the scooter?

What else do I need to know about the scooter? I know in the CBT they said to leave a scooter run for a few minutes before using it, and to do a check each day that all the lights are working, etc.

I've never used a petrol station before - I've only ever sat in the car whilst someone else filled up because I don't drive. I'm a bit scared about doing that for the first time :P

I haven't even had chance to ride the scooter yet - obviously I don't have a helmet yet so I couldn't. I really hope I like it, although I think I will judging by the comments on here :D
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Getting a PCX 125 on Saturday!

Post by Theboybilly »

Hello Emily and welcome to the forum. In answer to your questions I understand your excitement and nervousness about protecting your new machine against theft. Thieves can use very sophisticated techniques to take your PCX. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible. Always try to lock your PCX to something immovable like a lamp post and if using a chain try to keep it off the ground as that helps thieves with leverage when using bolt croppers etc. Two locks (of different types - chain & padlock plus a U-lock) is a good idea. That should make opportunist thieves look for something easier to steal. Also try not to park anywhere too secluded, it's always better to park safely where there plenty of onlookers (near shops, cafes etc)
As for clothing, remember to try to get a helmet that fits snugly and try to get one that doesn't mist up (check online for reviews though you can always buy products like FogCity that can prevent misting) Also try to find one that fits nicely under the seat to save carrying it about, that's one of the beauties of scooter ownership.
With other clothing fit is everything but remember to try for fit 'on the bike' as there's nothing worse than having armour in the wrong place when you take a riding stance.
Petrol stations? Take your time and, if necessary, ask for help. Don't fill the tank above the bar in the neck of the filler. Just squeeze the trigger gently until you get the hang of it and you'll be fine.
Good luck, but most of all be safe and have fun,

Bill
Image[/URL
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Welcome Emily! I'm sure you'll love having a PCX scooter. They aren't much different than riding a bicycle, and you'll quickly gain confidence as you venture out. The helmet is the most important protective gear, but a good pair of gloves are also nice. I wore normal over the ankle boots (chukkas) until I found a good pair of motorcycling boots that I liked a few months later. You may have a pair of light leather boots that will work if you don't see anything you want right away. I also ride with a fully armored jacket, but I haven't yet found pants that I like so I just wear jeans for now. I'd focus on the most important gear first.

As for filling up the PCX, it's really easy. Just put the gas nozzle on the center bar inside the gas tank and then start filling up. It will stop automatically when the gas reaches the bar level. Maybe have a general idea of how much gas it should take, but it has always shut off automatically for us.

I can't say anything at all about locking up. We just close the key cover and lock the steering wheel, but scooters aren't that popular here and as far as I know theft isn't a big issue.

Have fun!
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Hiya Emily. The PCX is a great first scooter. What are you going to use it for? If commuting then get decent gear from day one.

Kit - Helmet that fits (try on lots and get advise) with a preference for full face, ankle high boots and gloves (think about 2 pairs, for summer and wet/cold weather) are the minimum essentials IMHO. I commute a fair way at speed so also wear textile jacket with protection and textile trousers. Neck scarfs (the stretchy ones) are great also, got a couple of them.

Filling up is no stress. I hold the nozzle upwards and then carefully turn directly over the filling hole to avoid spilling any fuel that may already be in it on the bike. If there is fuel/oil on the ground etc just make sure you do not ride through it. Petrol station forecourts can be slippery places.

Dunno on locks etc. Ask around at the shops. Would consider getting a cover if outside all the time.

What else do I need to know about the scooter? Read the user manual. There is actually a lot of good things in there. I check the tire air pressure frequently (every month or so at a minimum), oil every few months & tires are worth looking at every now and then to make sure you have not picked up a nail etc but these bikes are fairly easy to keep on the road.

Good luck and have fun.
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

EmilyJEG wrote:I know in the CBT they said to leave a scooter run for a few minutes before using it, and to do a check each day that all the lights are working, etc.
~~
I'd actually like some input on the quote above as well. I don't know much about the mechanics side, and would like to know if this is different than modern cars.

I've recently read in Consumer Reports that there's no reason to 'warm-up' cars since Fuel Injection has become standard. Something about fuel injection working best when at operating temperatures and the fastest way to get there is to just go ahead and drive the car right away. Driving a cold car with fuel injection does no harm to the car. Wanted to see if it's the same for the PCX's since they have programmed fuel injection.

~~
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

about filling up use unleaded petrol not Diesel most petrol pumps just say unleaded so go for that one
what might help is find a 24 hour petrol station and go late at night and take your time.
one more thing to be aware off is the acceleration its fast for a 125 so take it slow be safe and have fun
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Tristik wrote:
EmilyJEG wrote:I know in the CBT they said to leave a scooter run for a few minutes before using it, and to do a check each day that all the lights are working, etc.
I'd actually like some input on the quote above as well. I don't know much about the mechanics side, and would like to know if this is different than modern cars.
When your PCX arrives, take the time to read the manual, I forget exactly what it says but I don't remember reading anything about warming it up.
Some people advocate "warming up" to circulate the oil, I take the view that any time I have ever disassembled an engine everything was still coated in oil even after standing for days.
So I start mine and ride away immediately unless it has been standing for weeks.
Back in the bad old days of gravity fed carburettor two strokes, they would not run at all smoothly unless they had warmed up so it was advisable to let them tickover for a while before riding away.
The PCX is not like that at all, as soon as the engine fires it will pull away just as smoothly as it will after a twenty mile ride.

And yes, definitely DO NOT fill it with diesel, I did and it ended up costing me £170ish to have it flushed out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

My twopenneth would be just get on and ride. It's all easy as everyone else can do it.

If I had to give some advice it would be pick a quiet time for your first ride, and ride with confidence, you've paid for your part of the road

Well done for going for your CBT and passing, that was the hard part and it's all fun from now on
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

I forget exactly what it says but I don't remember reading anything about warming it up.
Actually, it is on page 67 of the owners manual:

6. Allow the engine to warm up before riding

No other information is provided on how long that should be. I just get the PCX started on the center stand, and then do a quick safety inspection by checking lights and tires and put on my helmet and gloves. Then I'm ready to go, and I assume the PCX is too.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You should definitely warm up your engine. Oil circulation is important, but even more important is ensuring all moving surfaces in the engine have proper clearances when under load. Since metal expands as it heats, the engine has to be warm to perform the way it is supposed to. Modern engines are really robust so it is not completely necessary, but you really should warm up your scooter before putting it under load.

Now that my engine is broken in, I generally start my scooter, put on my helmet, then go. That 15-30 seconds of warm-up is adequate in my opinion on a fully broken-in engine. During break-in, I made sure to let it warm up a minute or so before each ride.

That said, break-in is also important. Most people have varying opinions on how to ride during break-in, but the two things that people agree on are to let the engine warm up to make sure clearances are that of runtime, and to not let the engine keep the same rev for long. The latter means you shouldn't operate at full throttle for any extended period of time, and that your right wrist should always be varying the throttle until after the first service.

As for gear, having your helmet fit right is VITAL to it protecting you. A proper-fitting half-helmet can do more good than an improper-fitting full face helmet. I recommend getting a full-face helmet, and having someone at the dealer help you pick one that fits right. Most people usually get helmets too loose -- it should fit snug. The helmet should stay on your head and move with it, not separately. You should need to use both hands to remove it straight upwards, and shouldn't be able to wrench it off by grabbing it at the chin and tugging it upwards. I usually use HJC helmets, they're inexpensive, high-quality, and durable.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

It doesnt sound like you need a lock at all!
I used to put a thick chain thru the front wheel and that was it really, there was no ground anchor or lampost to secure it to...nowadays I dont even bother with that I just park next to the front door of my block which is covered by two CCTV cameras and has people coming and going all the time....i should probably still lock it though but I'm just too lazy :D
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Thanks for all the advice! :D I was expecting people to tell me I was silly for rushing into it so quickly :lol: I've got my insurance sorted - it's costing me £649.81 :( I'm going to buy my clothing tonight - I might stick to a helmet, jacket and gloves for now and sort the rest at a later date as I haven't got much money at the moment. I will have to see! I'm really nervous for tomorrow now :oops: Hope I get back in one piece! My Nana keeps ringing me to tell me horror stories and how nobody else in the family is allowed a scooter/bike. I'm coming up 23 but apparently that counts for nothing, because I'm "clumsy" and "not very fit"... :roll:
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

your 23 and you paying £649.81 for insurance o_O I bet you didnt get a quote online
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Did you try moneysupermarket or comparethe market as thats a lot of money. What is the excess and legal cover is definatly a good thing to have so check policy. You can always cancel before policy starts if you find a better quote
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

uploader wrote:your 23 and you paying £649.81 for insurance o_O I bet you didnt get a quote online
Yes but remember this is her first bike/vehicle, premiums always will be high initially. Plus there is the post code lottery depending on where she lives will have an effect on premiums.

As for gear, all helmets differ slightly what fits one won't fit another. Put simply I have a Shoie shaped head but others makes are not comfy, so try on as many different ones as you can till you find one that is snug and comfy.
Try and not to skimp on the gear, I would definitely get trousers as well as jacket, you'll only regret it when you get wet for the first time! Having said that on the one dry day we have had as a summer I didn't wear the bike trouser :oops: Just my normal work ones.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If your 23 your fitter than I am...,
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Just done a quick on line insurance test making out I was 23 and just past my CBT,
also picked a bad post code and said I was out of work,
best offer I got was from bike devil insurance Third Party Fire & Theft no excess total cost £459.97
still high but almost £200 cheaper
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

EmilyJEG wrote: I'm really nervous for tomorrow now :oops: Hope I get back in one piece! My Nana keeps ringing me to tell me horror stories and how nobody else in the family is allowed a scooter/bike. I'm coming up 23 but apparently that counts for nothing, because I'm "clumsy" and "not very fit"... :roll:
Once you get up to speed you'll relax and enjoy it, riding a scooter is easier than riding a bicycle you just twist and go, no need to pedal ! just sit there and enjoy the ride! :D
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Thanks again for your comments! :)

The insurance is with MCE - I tried both Compare the Market and Money Supermarket, and they were the cheapest on both for comprehensive cover and cover the other stuff too. Seems a bit pointless when the excess is £650 anyway :( I rang them directly in the end and was quoted the same amount as the others. I live in the centre of Leeds and will be using a secure car park which is about ten minutes walk from the flat, but even changing small details such as having an alarm or immobiliser etc made no difference at all to the cost.

I went and got my clothing today - I decided that I may as well go for the full lot right now because I could get it on 0% finance over 12 months (otherwise I could have had it over less time and paid less, but had to buy other bits separately) - I'll be paying out an awful lot of money this year but next year will hopefully be much better! Spent £840! o_O Had to pay £320 for my helmet alone - I'm an XL, but some of them felt really tight and I couldn't get my glasses on without feeling like I was going to break them, so I had to get a "posh" one. I do like it though :) I got a men's jacket too because the women's jackets don't go up to the right size - I'm about a size 20, but sometimes need bigger sizes because of the size of my shoulders/chest so I just went for a fairly plain black one. I got some Kevlar jeans - not sure if they are really recommended, but I found the "proper" trousers very uncomfortable. Also got some gloves and boots (although the boots are on order so won't have them for about two weeks) and I bought a brake disc lock, a chain and a cover for the scooter so hopefully nobody will even think about stealing it... I think I remembered everything, although I might get a scarf thing but they didn't have any colours I liked so I will get that elsewhere.

I'm getting really nervous about tomorrow now... there is quite a bit of motorway around the top end of Leeds and I'm worried I'll unintentionally end up on it - there are a lot of one way roads that only lead to it! I'm going to have to be really careful and plan my journeys well. I wish my boyfriend had got a scooter at the same time so we could ride back together, but he takes a lot of time to decide on anything (probably what most would call "sensible" lol!). He's looking at the Vision 110 at the moment, although he wants a go on my scooter to see what the power is like before deciding. Otherwise he'll end up on a 50cc forever and we'll never make it anywhere :lol: (I'd like to eventually ride to Middlesbrough and Derby to see family, although I will be waiting a while yet!).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Where did you go for the kit? Hein Gericke

Wouldn't worry about the Kevlar jeans. I use them on bikes as well as scooters, the're great