Tired of Buying Tyres

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: White

Tired of Buying Tyres

Post by RichyP »

Hi guys,

I have an issue that is extremely annoying, issues with tyres!

Backstory
Previous scooter I had was a Peugeot Speed-fight 100cc, the last 4 months I had the scoot, I had to replace the rear tyre 3 times due to punctures!!

Which was quite costly and extremely annoying and as well as me wanting to get something bigger and a lot newer, actually led me to getting a bike a lot sooner as I was fed with the continuing issues.

Now I realise these issues aren’t the bikes fault, they are more than likely mine!

Fast forward to 3-4 months of owning my 2013 PCX
and I am loving it, until….. I noticed the other day that my rear tyre felt a bit slippy / funny when cornering on my way to work. I stopped to check and it didn’t feel too bad in all honesty, pulled in to fill with air (always filled front to 29 and rear to 33) and the rear was only on 11!! I filled it and it was fine for 2 days, then checked it again and it was all the way down to 8.

Apart from my route to work which is a 20 mile round trip, I did change my route on my old scoot to see if it made any difference, is there anything else that could be affecting this? I ride quite conservatively and don’t only give it some welly when im on a straight and there is no traffic around, so i dont think its my riding style that is affecting this.

Its just annoying as I have spoken with riders who have ridden for years and never had an issue, and this will be the 4th tyre I will have had to buy in the last 12 months of riding.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and what good set of tyres to replace these standard ones with as well.
Richy P
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Tired of Buying Tyres

Post by tbln930 »

Have them slap a tube in it. I know folks that never trust a patch for a motorcycle tire that always put a tube in it.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The only suggestion I would make is figure out where in your route you pass close to construction. You are getting the punctures from either construction debris or from really bad roads. If you find puncture holes or nails, chances are good that it is construction debris. If you find that the sidewall is split then I would think that the pot holes are causing it. In any case, the amount of problems you have had with your tires is not the norm. Most rides have either no problems with flats or perhaps 1 in the life of the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Did you find out what caused the punctures, front or rear wheel. Get them repaired if possible.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Got a nail in my rear tyre. I've a tube in it now, will likely replace the rear when I hit 5k miles currently on 3.400.
aka DrewJW
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Tire shops HATE the Slime stuff, but it actually works. You could try using some of that.

I don't ride on patched tires, but if I had a history like yours, I may consider that as an option. I agree with Mel -- most riders have little trouble with tires. I almost always wear through mine on cars and motorcycles, and can count on one hand how many I've had to replace due to damage.

tbln930's suggestion for a tube is a good call too, that can save you money. Make sure the tire is balanced with the tube, or you will wear through the tread very quickly. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

I am wondering if he really just has an unknown seep and no obvious puncture. I slimed my lawn tractor tire doing that and it has held for a few years.

mototire.com which is near me might give you a good thrashing if they saw slime in a bike tire. :lol:
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Tire shops HATE the Slime stuff, but it actually works. You could try using some of that.

I don't ride on patched tires, but if I had a history like yours, I may consider that as an option. I agree with Mel -- most riders have little trouble with tires. I almost always wear through mine on cars and motorcycles, and can count on one hand how many I've had to replace due to damage.

tbln930's suggestion for a tube is a good call too, that can save you money. Make sure the tire is balanced with the tube, or you will wear through the tread very quickly. :)

I think tyres are plugged rather than patched like an inner tube. Perfectly safe.
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

Hi guys,

thanks for you advice, as you can imagine it is so damn annoying the amount of times it has happened.
Anything that stops me enjoying my bike infuriates me!

I do agree with Mel64, it most likely is construction works as in Nottingham over the last 24 months there has been a lot!

They are installing tram systems everywhere and ripping the roads up everywhere as well, the only problem I face is every possible route to work is riddled with this same problem.

As far as the leak on the rear, there is no obvious sign where any potential puncture is. The last one I had was quite obvious as it was a massive bolt of metal! But this time there isn't any.

I will be honest as well, knowing that there are issues with tyres has knocked my confidence in cornering and riding after all the problems i have had with tyres in the past, to the point where i am a lot more cautious in the corners as its just made me paranoid that there's a problem when there isn't, well in between the tyre issues anyway.

I will get a tube put in the back tyre, in the mean time, what tyres would you recommend to replace the standard ones?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Vee Rubber if you want the cheapest option
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/budget- ... front.html
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/budget- ... -rear.html
Michelin City grips are generally highly regarded and the Dunlop Scootsmart is also a good tyre.
Plenty options to choose from
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/catalog ... g=&brands=
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

gn2 wrote:Vee Rubber if you want the cheapest option
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/budget- ... front.html
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/budget- ... -rear.html
Michelin City grips are generally highly regarded and the Dunlop Scootsmart is also a good tyre.
Plenty options to choose from
thank GN2,

Id rather have the best, dont like skimping on cost, so i think i will look into the michelin in all fairness,
thanks mate
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You can easily diagnose the leak yourself by spraying soapy water on the tire and bead and valve stem to see where the air is bubbling out.
I have never had a flat in 50,000 miles of riding but would have no issue continuing to use a tire that had a small nail hole plugged. I have plugged 100's of nail holes in car tires and never seen one fly out or seperate the cords.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We love Michelin City Grips. However, if you are going to continue going through construction for another little while I would consider just repairing the tires you have and wait for the next round of flats. Construction sites are always hard on tires. I can't count the number of times my cars have gotten flat tires from construction material that was dropped near the site by big trucks that haul the stuff away, and by general carelessness. They have a job to do and time is money to them. They don't have time to pick up everything that gets dropped so we get to pick it up for them...... that's one way of looking at it, anyway. We are still picking up roofing nails from having our roof replaced 4 years ago. It is definitely a problem, just not theirs I guess.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Yes, maybe you have a leaking valve?
Pump it up to 33 and put some spit on your finger ( gross I know) then cover the valve and base of it with the spit and see if it bubles...
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

Thanks guys, I will hold out on the new tyres, been quoted £20 to pit a tube in the rear tyre so I will do that for now and see how I go, I will try the spit /soapy water method as well
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

I think you should get it plugged and don't use an inner tube.
http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyres/tyre_care.jsp
I think there could be issues of the inner tube moving within the tyre and therefore failing at the valve base.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Got a tube in mine as I said at minute, just came back from a long ride over Belmont, and rear psi is down again to about 22psi from 33. Time for a new rear tyre I think. I've done 3,500miles on it. Cannot be bothered continuing to chase the leak.
aka DrewJW
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

UPDATE -

I have got the bike going in for a tube to be installed in the rear Tyre, with the amount of issues I have had in the amount of time I have had and the fact i cannot change my commute route much, I fear that if I go and buy the Michelin City Grips, which will be fine for a short period of time but I would be just throwing money away as its an issue that is bound to return with all the roadworks in and around my commute journey.

I will see how i get on with the tube installed in the rear and see how I get on.
Thanks for all your advice and assistance with this guys, much appreciated :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Checked my tyre pressures today - last done about 2-3 months ago - and both front and rear were down about 4psi so put them back to 29/33. Not doing bad on that extra drag as mpg gauge showing 145mpg and since last fill up still got 4 solid bars.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Got a tube in mine as I said at minute, just came back from a long ride over Belmont, and rear psi is down again to about 22psi from 33. Time for a new rear tyre I think. I've done 3,500miles on it. Cannot be bothered continuing to chase the leak.

Get rid and stump up for a new tyre. Plugging a tyre is ok but inner tubes on a tubeless tyre isn't good