PCX 150 Rear Trunk

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

auerbacs

PCX 150 Rear Trunk

Post by auerbacs »

Hey All,

I want to put a rear trunk on my PCX 150. I figured it would be the same trunk and attachment kit as the 2011 PCX 125. However, my dealer says he spoke to Honda and it's different. Not only is it different, it's like three times the price. They want me to pay almost $350 for the trunk!

Does anybody have experience with this? Why is the 150 trunk so expensive? Is it worth it? Can I just use a PCX 125 trunk? If so, should I get the 150 attachment kit or 125? Is there a third party trunk I can get for decent price that would work with the Honda attachment kit (or it's own)?

Essentially, I definitely want that rear trunk - what do you guys suggest?

(I do have a tool kit and I'm not entirely useless with it, but anything beyond that is probably outside of my capabilities/patience)

I should also say that I now have almost 2500 miles on my PCX 150, which I got in July. I'm pretty proud of that!
dmpeters

Re: PCX 150 Rear Trunk

Post by dmpeters »

I use a GIVI and have used the same 2 boxes for my last 7 bikes from this PCX......150....to st 1100 / numerous 900 triumphs...SVs

Hope this Helped

Don
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

dont buy a rack and topcase system from your dealer. they will just overcharge you. buy a givi system for your bike.

i cant seem to confirm that the 150 and 125 are the same but i am 99% sure that they are. hopefully somebody can confirm. all the givi websites only list the 125 for some reason!

assuming that they are the same, what you want is the givi rear rack/mounting plate - givi part number: E231
http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=HO ... 125-10--12

and your choice of givi monolock cases. i have the E370 which is pretty good on the PCX, IMO.
http://www.giviusa.com/cases-top-case/Monolock-/E370

keep in mind that you will have to do some drilling to fit the rack, but it is not a big deal so dont be scared by that! maybe someone can post a walkthrough on that.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

See Dave (Maddie) comments on this thread, you should be OK with 125 rack/trunk on the 150...

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=561
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The 150 and 125's trunk, mounting plate, etc. is the same. The Honda mounting plate is IDENTICAL to the Givi mounting plate.

The Honda topcase is actually lower-quality than some of the Givis. I recommend getting the Givi E231 universal mounting plate, and whatever Givi Monokey topcase you can find for cheap. The Monokey topcases ALL fit the E231. The Maxia series is really nice, and huge: http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-Monokey-E ... se/1310005. The baseplate is here for $45: http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-Hardware- ... 10/1121007. I've ordered from compacc before, they're cheap and reliable.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i think that the rear subframe is probably not up to the weight limit of the maxia. i feel you should stick to the 3kg limit topboxes for the PCX. am i wrong here? in addition, i know from experience that the bike will fall over on the kickstand if you put too much weight on the seat. thats how i broke my givi windscreen when the bike fell against the car and shattered it. i think this would be true with less weight if you had it in the topbox, so be careful of that.

i have a maxia that i use on my big bikes. i did actually break an aluminum rack by overloading it on my DRZ. the temptation to put too much weight in a big case like that is strong. if you are disciplined and just put paper towels, and other light items in it, it might be fine though.

i am quite sure that the monokey and monolock have different mounting plates, so a monokey will NOT fit the E231!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Not just subframe strength that has to be considered, there's the effect on the handling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The rack I bought is supposedly rated to 13kg and seems well made. I havent added a top box as wonder about wind affect. We get strong blustery winds here and I already get blown around enough. Im sure a top box would not help. By the way the 150 is now being advertised in Australia at last, so should be available shortly here.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Taz wrote:The rack I bought is supposedly rated to 13kg and seems well made. I havent added a top box as wonder about wind affect. We get strong blustery winds here and I already get blown around enough. Im sure a top box would not help. By the way the 150 is now being advertised in Australia at last, so should be available shortly here.
Mind your windscreen too, Taz. It has a strong effect on handling. First day I rode with my short Givi installed, I immediately noticed a tendency to go straight through corners. It seemed as if you needed some extra effort to get her into the corner's apex. I have noticed that the top box increases the effect of lateral winds, that's for sure.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

it is true that a big windshield and topbox will make the bike more sensitive to crosswinds.

it may be that you could put the universal mounting plate for one of the bigger monokey cases on the E231. the maxia is a lot heavier empty than my E370 though, so you would have less weight carrying capacity for the greater volume.

it would be interesting to know how much weight the rear subframe is really rated for? as for myself, i am sticking with a bit more than 3kg plus the weight of the box and rack, so around 5 or 6kg total.

so when i go to costco i put the heavy stuff like wine bottles under the seat, light weight bulky stuff in the topbox, and strap a case of beverages to the passenger seat area. be sure to put the scoot on the centerstand when you have it loaded down like that, so it wont fall over from the kickstand!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I love scooter shopping. You save a fortune :D You can only buy what you can carry home

We just use the underseat area and a rucksack if necessary

(The spellchecker tried to change underseat to underwear, it's an idea for emergencies I suppose)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

qed wrote:I love scooter shopping. You save a fortune :D You can only buy what you can carry home

(The spellchecker tried to change underseat to underwear, it's an idea for emergencies I suppose)
Ditto :lol: . Share your point. I opted for the E300B, the 30 litre model for two reasons. One is that I didn't like the looks of the bigger ones on a small bike like the PCX. The other one is that it's big enough for her to put her helmet it, and small enough so she can't throw a shitload of shopping in if we happen to visit the supermarket.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cascanciu wrote:
qed wrote:I love scooter shopping. You save a fortune :D You can only buy what you can carry home

Ditto :lol: . Share your point. I opted for the E300B, the 30 litre model for two reasons. One is that I didn't like the looks of the bigger ones on a small bike like the PCX. The other one is that it's big enough for her to put her helmet it, and small enough so she can't throw a shitload of shopping in if we happen to visit the supermarket.

Yes. Result!!

And you can't buy flowers :D
auerbacs

Post by auerbacs »

Thanks for the advice everybody. A few of you mentioned avoiding putting too much weight on it - is that something that I should be too concerned about? My main use for the case would be for my backpack with papers, folders, a laptop etc. While I can sometimes squeeze that into the under seat area, it's not always possible because of the awkward dimensions under the seat. To make that super simple, I was looking at Maxia (e.g. E55) cases as well as the E470, E450, all available here (http://www.compacc.com/Sport-Sport-Tour ... -Top-Cases) (thanks for the link Maddie). Are those going to cause weight issues even if they're conservatively loaded? What I like about them is that their dimensions are seemingly nicely designed for everyday stuff, not just helmets.

I also can't fit both my snowsuit and helmet under the seat, so it would be nice to have another compartment for when I park it at work and don't want to bring that in. If the larger cases are going to cause issues, I'll just get a small one that can deal with my helmet. I'll put the snowsuit under the seat. And I'll just have to learn to live with stuffing my backpack under the seat while riding. Or, god forbid, just wearing it.

As a secondary question, is it worth getting the case with lights? I do ride somewhat often at night. And if I do get the lights, is it easy enough for me to work out how to wire them to the bike?

Thanks all!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i think you should avoid putting too much weight in the box as previously stated. that being said, i was looking at one of maddies how to threads and noticed the rack probably bolts into a pretty beefy looking part of the frame. i do think there is a reason why the givi rack is made to fit the lighter boxes though. i often cant get all my workstuff under the seat either. ususally i cram my books and notebooks, etc under the seat and just put my notebook computer in the topbox so it is not getting so abused and crammed in there.

if you do get a big case, you should just be careful how you load it. remember that heavy stuff goes under the seat and lighter bulky stuff goes in the topbox!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

thought i posted but it didnt seem to go through

anyway, i had a look at my scoot on my way home and i was wrong about the rack mounting. it mounts into the rear grab rail/ wing, which is definitely a relatively weak subframe. i think it is a bad idea to put a lot of weight on that as i previously stated. there is a reason why the givi rack is designed to fit the lighter monolock cases, IMO.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Givi monolock cases can only take 3kg because they are simple mouldings and lack strength.
The PCX load limit for topbox and contents is 10kg.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

gn2 wrote:The Givi monolock cases can only take 3kg because they are simple mouldings and lack strength.
The PCX load limit for topbox and contents is 10kg.
thanks, this is the information we have been after. where did you find it?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The monolock case from owning one, the load limit from the user manual and the sticker under the seat.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

gn2 wrote:The monolock case from owning one, the load limit from the user manual and the sticker under the seat.
i thought the sticker under the seat refers to the under the seat load limit?

i dont have an english manual unfortunately.