Sym Maxsym 400i ABS

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Sym Maxsym 400i ABS

Post by Cascanciu »

I happened to drive nearby my local SYM dealer today, and I couldn't help it. I had to go inside and see :lol: . I had read very positive reviews of both the Maxsym 400i and the Joymax 300 and they were close. Parked my cage and went in. This is what I saw first:

Exactly like that one, and love at first sight. Riding position is just perfect for me. The seat is super comfortable, two full face helmets under the seat and the quality of the finish has nothing to envy to that of, say, a Suzuki Burgman. Seriously. The bike looks like a very well made one. It's got combined brake, 15" wheel in the front, 14" in the rear. Radial tyres and double shank, ala "real" motorbike (had to look the translation for the term "tija" into the dictionary and "shank" came back as a result, I'm not actually sure if it's correct. Guess it is.) and according to the reviews, it handles really, really well. Better than the Burgman 400 which is her main rival. It feels serious and solid. 5800 €.

The Joymax 300 does look very nice, too, but it's just not the same. The plastics don't look as good as they do in her bigger sister. It's exactly the same motorbike they sell with a 125 cc engine, but on steroids. I opened the glove box and didn't feel as solid as it did in the 400. 4100€ and no ABS available for the moment. Two full face helmets under the seat, but according to the guy I talked to at the shop, the 400's storage capacity is slightly bigger.

Really loved it. When I put my feet down to earth again, I though that the PCX is unbeatable when it comes to efficient urban commuting, but this 400 is soooo tempting. I was already thinking in getting the A2 licence next year. I'll do that, for sure, and now I know which bike will be on the pole position to replace the PCX when I decide to move to something bigger.
Last edited by Cascanciu on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Sym Maxsym 400i ABS

Post by gn2 »

I think that the Piaggio X10 350 is a far better machine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:I think that the Piaggio X10 350 is a far better machine.
Maybe. Or maybe not. I was quite pleasantly surprised at this bike. It won't take long until we can see those two "confronted" in a test on this or another publication or web page. The one I read compared this Sym with the Burgman, and the journalist was impressed by the Sym. The Burgman has a bit more under seat storage and is a tad more comfortable (the rear suspension on the Sym is a bit stiffer), but the handling is better on the Sym. The Piaggio will be more expensive, quite likely.

On the other hand, SYM is, apparently, well known for the quality of its products. It manufactures a lot of stuff, from bikes, to cars, to military vehicles.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The UK price for the X10 350 and the Maxsym 400 is exactly the same.
X10 comes with ABS and traction control, Maxsym doesn't.
X10 has minor oil change service at 6000 miles and full service at 12,000 miles.
Maxsym servicing is much more frequent.
Chances are that the X10 will be more economical too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

X10 Exec comes with ABS+ASR. Listed at 6500€ here. The standard model hasn't got ABS nor ASR, listed at 5500€.

During test, the Maxsym needed a bit less than 4'5 litres of gas to make 100 kms. If the Piaggio needs less than that, that is a hell of an engine. My guess is that her figures will be similar, or perhaps a bit less. But just a bit.

The review I read on the X10 stated that the suspensions were soft, causing the handling to be a bit imprecise at high speeds. The Maxsym has been praised for its handling.

Certainly the Piaggio is more glamorous, but that's not a decisive factor for me. I'd try my best to get a test ride on both, then decide. But this Taiwanese girl really caught my eye, so far.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Check the ABS claim thoroughly as the article I read said that cheap Asian (non Japanese) ABS were not really ABS and didnt help with braking compared to Japanaese or European ABS. I would rather not get a Sym as my local dealer is pulling out from supporting them, based on alledged unreliability, difficulty getting spares and other distributor backup. Still waiting on the X10 to be available here...
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Taz wrote:Check the ABS claim thoroughly as the article I read said that cheap Asian (non Japanese) ABS were not really ABS and didnt help with braking compared to Japanaese or European ABS. I would rather not get a Sym as my local dealer is pulling out from supporting them, based on alledged unreliability, difficulty getting spares and other distributor backup. Still waiting on the X10 to be available here...
ABS is made by Bosch ;) . It's certainly Asian, but I wouldn't call her cheap. From the info I have, these SYM are being reliable. Don't know about the smaller models, though. Spares and dealer support are a concern, though.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:During test, the Maxsym needed a bit less than 4'5 litres of gas to make 100 kms. If the Piaggio needs less than that, that is a hell of an engine. My guess is that her figures will be similar, or perhaps a bit less. But just a bit.
It's a hell of an engine then.
It can do less than four.
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/522255.html
So can the Kymco Downtown 300i and its £1000 cheaper.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I have no doubt the X10 is an excellent product, but it's pricey and the handling -according to some sources- isn't that much brilliant. I like the Sym better.

The Kymco downtown is called "Superdink" here. One of my mates has got one and he says it does some 4 or slightly above every 100, which is very good. But believe me if I say that it sounds ugly, and vibrates quite a bit, particularly when idling. Finish quality is worse than the Sym.

Actual fuel consumption figures of the Sym. Link is Portuguese, but it's understandable:

http://gostodescooters.blogspot.com.es/ ... drive.html

Consumos –

Das três vezes que fiz a média, foi este o combustível gasto:

Km percorridos – 224 (distance)
Combustível gasto – 10,34 L (required fuel in litres)
Média – 4,62 L (average)

Km percorridos – 287
Combustível gasto – 12,34 L
Média – 4,3 L

Km percorridos – 291
Combustível gasto – 12,01 L
Média – 4,12 L

Média dos 3 consumos – 4,35 L

OTOH, the Spanish magazine "Motociclismo" carried out a 12.000 kms test on a Maxsym 400i. Link here:

http://www.motociclismo.es/pruebas/scoo ... a-duracion

No problems whatsoever. Conclusion is "highly reccomendable".
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:I like the Sym better.
That alone is reason enough for you to to buy one.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:
Cascanciu wrote:I like the Sym better.
That alone is reason enough for you to to buy one.

True. But this is a discussion board and you're supposed to counter my arguments, and prove that the X10 is way better! :lol: ;) .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't need to prove anything.
All I can do is present my view, its up to you to decide which you think is better for you.
In the UK given that the price of the Maxsym and X10 is the same and the X10 offers so much more in terms of spec and lower maintenance requirement, I think you would have to be mad to buy a Maxsym.
In Spain things might be different if the Maxsym is significantly cheaper and if it does have ABS then maybe it might be worth a try.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The seat on the Maxsim looks strange. Is it comfortable? Is the backrest adjustable? Ive been to Taiwan on biz many times and there are Sym's and other brands everywhere. But they also have cheap scooter garages on most street corners so you have a good support network!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Scooter Station sheds some light: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ion.com%2F
Not the best ergos for tall folks perhaps, midgets should be OK.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I was told that "midget" is actually an offensive term. Looks like nowadays, polite people prefers to say "little person".

The seat is OK, Taz. Sat on it on and off the center stand. It looks weird on the photos, it doesn't when you actually see it. I'm 5 9" and felt good. The backrest is adjustable, so I guess taller people should find a comfortable position too.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:I'm 5 9"
Not a midget then.
In my book its not an offensive term, not while rentamidget.com is number 4 in Google's search results for the word midget and while the word is still used to describe all manner of other small things.
But hey, like Carol Thatcher I grew up in a time when golliwogs were still on marmalade jars.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm offended by "tall person" :D

I like it when people say "my you are big" so I can say "how do you know?, I haven't had my pants down yet..."

Or the slightly more confrontational response to "how tall are you?" is "I don't know, how small are you?)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

"The #1 site on the net for hiring little people for your event! We do birthdays, bar mitzvahs, office pranks, and Christmas parties! Almost no event is off limits!".

Perhaps that is admissible to some people, not to me, certainly. I was raised in respecting people with physical or mental deficiencies, and the only Thatcher known to me was some Margaret, who happened to cause assorted opinions amongst the Brits I know.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Carol is Margaret's daughter.
She famously caused a bit of a stooshie over her use of the word golliwog.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The x10 350 won't be sold in oz, only the x10 500. The Maxsym 400i is selling well here at a great price. Any more feedback on the Maxsym or other mid sized abs scooter?