How to clean your PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tingting44
Year: 2016
Color: black

How to clean your PCX?

Post by tingting44 »

Hi all, i have to admit my head is getting frazzled trying to learn how to clean my bike without damaging it and doing it the correct way, ive had my new PCX for 10 days now and its filty and in bad need of a clean....

Here is where im at in my head at the moment, id love to hear how you clean yours and any tips, this is how im thinking of cleaning, but more than likely will do something wrong, any pointers would be most helpful along with any better products that i have linked...

RIGHT! im thinking of first
-hosing (not jetwash) my PCX down

- then adding some of this to a bucket of cold water
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121737612148

- and giving a good rub down with the soapy solution with one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230440798791

- then use the same soapy sollution to clean the wheels, mud guard area and underneath of the PCX with a set of these brushes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SET-OF-3- ... SwhcJWOO~K

- rinse off PCX with hose pipe

- Dry the PCX with a chamois
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231198942876

- then add this polish/wax with a microfiber cloth, leave to dry and with a new microfibre cloth buff it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121644309501?var=420636712734

so far does this sound ok?

but after all of that would i need to lube up any of the moving parts like side stands, center stand? plastic cables etc? like i said its really frazzling my brain to try and get a procedure to follow for a good weekly clean for my PCX, any insight from you long time PCX'ers would be brilliant

speak soon and all the best

Martin
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Re: How to clean your PCX?

Post by Rickjds »

Coming from a car polish enthusiast, your plan sounds fine. I would use microfiber towels instead of a chamois to dry the paint. I am not familiar with the polish in your link. I use Menzerna Powerlock polymer paint sealant that lasts for a few months then re-apply after a few months. A little goes a long way with paint sealants and you can barely see it as you apply it. Once dry, use a microfiber towel to remove and buff to a gloss finish. I would follow with something easy to use and after your weekly washes like Meguiars ultimate quick wax. I am not connected to any of these companies, but have used them for a few years with solid results on my cars and now the PCX.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I also like the menzerna products, try blackfire crystal seal for a final sealant, you wipe on, and walk away, no buffing. To weekly clean I use Duragloss rinseless.To seal the wheels, I use carpro hydro2.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Power wash once every couple of months.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

The manual will tell you what to use and how to wash it. Me? Washed it once, maybe twice, in three years.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Bucket of mild detergent of your choice, well squeezed microfiber cloth. Start at the top dousing the cloth frequently. Rims last washing twice, once with fresh soapy mixture. Basically a surface cleaning sponge bath. If needed once or twice a year garden hose the lower body only. Then this from the Harley community, get out your leaf blower and gently blow dry the crevasses, nuts, bolts and under the wheel wells taking care not to force moisture into gauges, headlamps, taillight or signal assemblies. Finally a wax polish of your choice so that the next few times you need a dust off you can get by with just a damp cloth wipe down.

None of this applies to the UK daily commuter. Some of the harshest riding conditions on the planet :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Normal detergent is normally frowned on due to higher salt content than speciality detergents - Asda (UK Walmart) have a large bottle of special detergent wash with wax for £3 made for cleaning all vehicles.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Over here in the USA I have car washing detergent that can be purchased at any store that has an automotive section. I use that for both my car and my bikes. As with any car, rinse off salt and mud before washing so that you do not push the loose dirt into your paint. When it comes to waxing the bike I know that the paint is relatively thin so the abrasive waxes would take off a layer of paint, so use something that is good for plastic, since that is exactly what the panels are. There are a lot of 'spray and wipe' polishes and cleaners for plastic. I use Novus, but there are others that are just as good. Use Google and type in "plastic cleaner and polish". Meguiar's has one also.
http://www.ceshowroom.com/ProductDetail ... AkCx8P8HAQ

If you live in the UK I would say listen to those who live there. I am not sure that we in the United States get weather as bad as you guys get most of your riding year.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Pardon me, but has anyone tried any of those "nano"/"ceramic"/"glass" coating on their PCX? Lately I've been wondering if it would be worth paying for. It would make the PCX "self-cleaning" or at least easier to clean. No?
ImageImageImage
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

raito wrote:Pardon me, but has anyone tried any of those "nano"/"ceramic"/"glass" coating on their PCX? Lately I've been wondering if it would be worth paying for. It would make the PCX "self-cleaning" or at least easier to clean. No?

I have used these for a couple years quite extensively on cars. They work very well. Your surface is sealed against marring and swirls for a couple years.You wipe on ,buff out the high spots, and walk away. One of the best out there that's the easiest to use is CquartzUK. That's the name of it , google it. It requires the surface to be prepped with a finishing polish. It shouldn't be more than 45 min To do a bike, and you're done for a couple years. Watch the youtubes on it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Let the garage wash it when its serviced every 8 weeks or so.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Waterless wash and wax.
Spray on, wipe off, washes and polishes in seconds.
Reviews of a selection of them here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... s-car-wash
I used Proshine when I had a Jag and thought it was really good.
Much quicker than farting around with hoses and shammy leathers and such.
Also if you are riding on salty roads give all the metalwares of your scooter a good going over with FS365, ACF-50 or similar anti-corrosion treatment.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I live in Thailand, where we have rain every other week. I always hose spray the mud off and then use car shampoo. Rinse and dry. Spray anti corrosion on metal parts and 303 UV protectant on plastic parts. If I still have energy and enthusiasm left, a good waxing will be next. If not, the 303 already shines like a million dollar by itself.

Then, here goes the rain again...
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...