MICHELIN City Grip Tires

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

MICHELIN City Grip Tires

Post by Rick54 »

I'm looking at purchasing a new PCX150 in the next few months, and would like the dealer to swap out the OEM tires for the Michelin City Grips right at the get-go. Going through this forum, I got the impression that the front tire is different in size than the rear? Could someone explain to me why this is, and what size City Grip should I ask the dealer to swap the front and rear tires out for rather than going with the OEM tires? Or will he know what size to put on the bike?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: MICHELIN City Grip Tires

Post by GeorgeSK »

The dealer should know what to replace the OEMs with - most likely the very same size. Make sure to get the dealer to give you your old tires. There are plenty of folks here who have absolutely no issues with the OEM tires, and will happily take them off your hands.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I would save my dough and stay with the stock tires. If you have some extra dollars burning a hole in your pocket this forum will find you many ways to lighten your wallet
triaxor
Regular User
Regular User

Post by triaxor »

I got Michelin City Grips as standard with my new PCX as did my friend Alex with his PCX, my old PCX that I wrote off (2014 model) had Dunlops.
Current Bike(s)~ (Casper) 2019 Honda Forza 125
Previous Bikes ~ (Rosie) 2018 Honda CB125R : (Stumpy) 2017 Honda MSX 125 (Grom) : (Ghost) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Lillith) 2016 Honda PCX 125 : (Gizmo) 2015 Sinnis Apache 125
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Rick54 wrote:I'm looking at purchasing a new PCX150 in the next few months, and would like the dealer to swap out the OEM tires for the Michelin City Grips right at the get-go. Going through this forum, I got the impression that the front tire is different in size than the rear? Could someone explain to me why this is, and what size City Grip should I ask the dealer to swap the front and rear tires out for rather than going with the OEM tires? Or will he know what size to put on the bike?

Front tires on modern motorcycles are usually more narrow than rear tires. There are exceptions (Kymco K-pipe for example), but think about it. Most of the weight on a motorcycle is supported by the rear tire. That tire is also responsible for getting the vehicle moving. More work, bigger tires.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

When I had my Honda CBR250R it came with IRC tires. When I had 7k miles on the bike I replaced them with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II even though my stock tires were not done. I was just bored and wanted something for the bike. For normal city riding, say here to there the grip of the Pirelli actually made the bike less flickable. Its held the line so much that it actually took more effort to flick the bike side to side. On the stock IRCs less grip easier to flick side to side, thats what I got out of my time with the track ready Rosso II. I know its motorcycle tires and not scooter tires but for me too much grip has some disadvantages. Thats why I am will just have reservations about City Grips even thought they are not much more expensive than IRC scooter tires.
:geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Rick54 wrote:I'm looking at purchasing a new PCX150 in the next few months, and would like the dealer to swap out the OEM tires for the Michelin City Grips right at the get-go.
Better to wait and see what tyres are on it, if it comes with IRCs or Dunlops there's no point changing them, they are good tyres.
Rick54 wrote:Going through this forum, I got the impression that the front tire is different in size than the rear?

Could someone explain to me why this is,
Front tyres are nearly always smaller because front tyres do a different job to rear tyres.
Rick54 wrote:and what size City Grip should I ask the dealer to swap the front and rear tires out for rather than going with the OEM tires?
Stick with the oem size, Honda chose that size for a reason, any different size = the wrong size.
Rick54 wrote:Or will he know what size to put on the bike?
If the dealer is any good he will advise sticking with the correct size.
If he is a shark he will gut your wallet for a new pair and keep the removed ones and sell them to someone else.

IMO the main reason for using City Grips is the improved wear rate.
Some people tell horror stories about grip on the IRC oem tyres in the wet, I can say hand on heart that they are a good tyre and ridden properly according to the conditions they are fine.
I liked the IRC tyres apart from the rear ones tend to wear too quickly.
Which suggests they are a soft compound, which explains why they grip like shite to a blanket in the dry.

Anyway, your money your choice, but the City Grips are definitely a good tyre.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

relic wrote:I would save my dough and stay with the stock tires. If you have some extra dollars burning a hole in your pocket this forum will find you many ways to lighten your wallet
If you want, you can lighten your wallet by donating to my account. To do so,, you can contact me at 1-800-please-donate. ;)

In all seriousness, I have City Grips, but I would recommend to first give the ones that come with the bike a try. If you find they are not to your satisfaction after that, consider swapping them out then, otherwise hang on to your money for now.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Rick54 wrote:I'm looking at purchasing a new PCX150 in the next few months, and would like the dealer to swap out the OEM tires for the Michelin City Grips right at the get-go. Going through this forum, I got the impression that the front tire is different in size than the rear? Could someone explain to me why this is, and what size City Grip should I ask the dealer to swap the front and rear tires out for rather than going with the OEM tires? Or will he know what size to put on the bike?

If you don't have a PCX, and you've no idea what size tyres it runs, why on earth are you wanting to change them. Surely the sensible money would be to try whatever it comes with first and then you will at least have a base point. Know what you are talking about in other words.

I've never really had a "bad" set of car or bike tyres for the last 20 years...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Snap :D :D
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Simon0867 »

One of the things that almost put me off getting a PCX were some bad reviews of the stock tyres.
I live in Scotland, ride in all weathers (barring ice and snow) and over many different road surfaces including cobbled streets. Never had an issue with the stock tyres, they do the job fine.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Same here - now 2yr5m running on stock tyres (IRC) all weathers every week day commute across town with hills, bends, pot-holes galore, wet and flooded roads, I even go to work at 2am in winter when we have a small amount of ice and never had an issue with them - and I still have lots of life left in the rear tyre (about 1.5mm above the wear indicator). Good to see so many giving praise for stock tyres.
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

All good answers. I'll wait and see then what the bike comes with before I make any rash decisions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Simon0867 wrote:One of the things that almost put me off getting a PCX were some bad reviews of the stock tyres.
I live in Scotland, ride in all weathers (barring ice and snow) and over many different road surfaces including cobbled streets. Never had an issue with the stock tyres, they do the job fine.

Yep, same in North Yorkshire. Hardly the warmest or driest place in the world either. All reviews need to be read, taken with a pinch of salt and then forgotten.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:I've never really had a "bad" set of car or bike tyres for the last 20 years...
Two things to look for in a tyre, is it black? is it circular?
If yes to both you're good to go.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I changed to City Grips because I could feel the rear of the bike slipping when I took it through the North Georgia mountains. My wife wanted both of hers changed out, which we did, but I have only changed the rear tire on my bike. She had IRC on her bike. Mine came with Dunlop. There is a difference in the grip between those two makes. She is a relatively new rider, so I wanted her to have every advantage I could give her. For normal riding I have nothing against stock tires, but if you do a lot of riding on winding roads that have not been well maintained, I would prefer something that sticks to the road on the curves.
Of course, no tires are going to make a difference if your bike needs to stop quickly and you don't have disc brakes all the way around, and no ABS. You just aren't going to stop quickly. So, in the end it is experience that makes the difference. Buy the bike, ride the bike, and then decide on what you think will help you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Please....keep (any/all brand) of tires properly inflated.

Honda PCX Service (Big!) Manual-General Info-Page 1-10 Specs:

Front Tire Size: 90/90-14
Cold Tire Pressure: Up to 90 kg (200 lbs) load. Standard: 200kPa (2.00 kgf/cm2) 29 psi
Up to maxium weight capacity - (200 kPa (2.00 kgf/cm2) 29 psi

Rear Tire Size: 100/90 -14
Cold Tire Pressure: Up to 90 kg (200 lbs) load. Standard: 225 kPa (2.25 kgf/cm2) 33 psi
Up to maxium weight capacity - (250 kPa (2.50 kgf/cm2) 36psi

Sign in and You may Bookmark this page for future reference. You may print it as well.
Keep Tyre/Tire Pressure up and Yourself too :P
~Happy Safe Trails~
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Yep, check your tyre pressures as I do notice a change every few months and it's always due to the rear having lost psi - once back to 33 and 29 front the bike runs fine.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

I found that after six thousand miles the back tyre was indeed losing grip, wheelspinning away from the lights in the rain...

whilst this can be fun the fact is the tyre was worn out and as bald as the top of my skull :)

replaced with citygrip rear and when the front wears out I will citygrip that too

in my opinion if you are a reasonably patient driver and not trying to use your bike as a time machine* the standard tyres are absolutely fine

use up the tyres that come with it first you have already paid for them and as long as you're not trying corner at excessive speed in the wet you will be ok

I'm no expert but this is my experience to date

*people who are late think they can be unlate by going faster........wrong!

having scoured the forum I just can't find that faster than light mod anywhere
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Must be different standards of IRC tyres or you ride it hard if yours had no tread after 6K, mines got lots left after 10K.