Lost my hump for £30

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Lost my hump for £30

Post by V4 TRV »

After feeling in the mood to get rid of that darned hump I was tempted to order the Thailand option but after feeling in a particularly tight mood and not wanting to spend a whole lot as well as end up with a second seat which i really dont need I decided to call around to my local upholsterers and see if they could help me out.

I rode to my local one about 5 miles away who said no problem and he could recover in a couple of hours. To save me the hassle of returning home to remove the seat and then return to him I quickly borrowed a spanner and left it there and then and rode home with a borrowed piece of foam for an impromptu seat :lol:

Called back 2 hours later and hey presto - Im well pleased and comfort and roominess are much improved. In fact the way I would have expected it to be in the first place.

All for £30 - result :D
Attachments
photo (51).JPG
photo (51).JPG (384.42 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Lost my hump for £30

Post by you you »

Bloody heck - result
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Excellent result, looks like how the seat should have been styled originally.
The hump is just daft.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Nice! I'm having buyers remorse now, probably should have checked around the local upholstery shops first. Oh well, too late now. Great job on getting a terrific looking seat for so little money!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, looks excellent. You got a deal. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

That looks good, must admit I'm a bit fed up with that hump, it stores water too well!! I'll have to have a look around locally to see what uphosterers there are around here, unless the part time one where I work could do it!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Thats a great price, I paid double that. What does the underneath look like. Did he reinforce the plastic where its been cut out to make sure foam doesnt start coming out of the cutout?
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

V4 TRV wrote::D
Fabulous job, looks very nice, good craftsmanship. Congratulations.
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Cant believe how roomy the bike feels without the silly hump blocking my position.

Im well pleased :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

V4 TRV wrote:Cant believe how roomy the bike feels without the silly hump blocking my position.

Im well pleased :D

Right - that has made my mind up - I'm getting it sorted
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Looks good - they did a great job! And very cost effectively too.
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

gse123 wrote:Looks good - they did a great job! And very cost effectively too.
Thanks - probably not a big deal for an upholsterer but comfort wise in the sense that I can move back an inch or two more (im 6"1) makes a major difference. The bike now feels like a 250 or bigger - weird i know o_O
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

I don't actually get my PCX for another week or so, but I'm not predicting the hump to be an issue for me, as I'm only 5'4 ... What concerns me more is the reach distance to the brake levers. I can see myself investing in some adjustable levers to suit my small hands!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just found a place in south Yorkshire to do the same thing at around the same price. Items on the website look top quality. Different league to other things I've seen on the pcx websites

I'll drop it in tomorrow and let you know how it goes
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

qed wrote:Just found a place in south Yorkshire to do the same thing at around the same price. Items on the website look top quality. Different league to other things I've seen on the pcx websites

I'll drop it in tomorrow and let you know how it goes
result - you will kick yourself as to why you didnt do it sooner :D
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

I have found a place less than a mile away from my home! Going to go an enquire next week, already fed up with that uncomfortable hump rest.

V4 what did they do about the hole filling in? Is there not a hole all the way through when you remove the bolts from the hump which would mean unless circles of foam were glued in they would come out?
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

figurehead71 wrote:I have found a place less than a mile away from my home! Going to go an enquire next week, already fed up with that uncomfortable hump rest.

V4 what did they do about the hole filling in? Is there not a hole all the way through when you remove the bolts from the hump which would mean unless circles of foam were glued in they would come out?
thats great news - you will be kicking yourself you didnt do it sooner!

Re the foam they just put some over the holes and built it up a little bit as far as i can see. As its now recovered I cant see how much exactly but most of these places are well used to recovering and repacking furniture etc so a scooter seat is obviously not a big deal.

Dont forget to post a few pics when you get it done :)
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

V4 TRV wrote: thats great news - you will be kicking yourself you didnt do it sooner!

Re the foam they just put some over the holes and built it up a little bit as far as i can see. As its now recovered I cant see how much exactly but most of these places are well used to recovering and repacking furniture etc so a scooter seat is obviously not a big deal.

Dont forget to post a few pics when you get it done :)
Well, I have only had my bike less than two months...so really have not had that much time to get that annoyed but know as this place is so close it will be easily done, and they do have 25 years in the business too.

I am trying to decide (although have yet to see what vinyl stocks they have obviously) whether to keep with black or to go for another colour on my Red PCX, also considering a textured rather than smooth vinyl.
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

You certainly wont regret losing the hump, i did the post about how i removed mine and havent looked back.Its nice being able to shift around the seat to get comfortable if you choose.