strange vibrations

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

strange vibrations

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Hello everybody! Over the weekend my PCX125 starting doing something strange. It would act like it's in gear, wanting to go up to 15mph despite no throttle, also with a strange rattling and noise from the belt/variator area. I (finally!) purchased a nice used Dewalt impact wrench and changed the belt early. My PCX has around 9600 miles currently. I kept the J Costa variator due to it having very little wear on the slider ball things. :lol:

The vibrations throughout this week come and go intermittently on their own. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my CVT. If so, what could be the problem more specifically? Until this holiday is over, I don't have an option to turn in the PCX to the shop until I get my Silverwing back next week from its rear tire change and center stand recall replacement. I have the factory warranty until about 2 more weeks thankfully.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: strange vibrations

Post by maddiedog »

Did you tighten the nut on the drive face and driven face to factory spec?

If so, I'm not quite sure what the problem could be, I'd put the stock variator back on and take it in for the shop to deal with. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

I guess so many new threads popped up that I never noticed maddiedog replied to this thread in the first place. Anyways, my diagnosis was exactly the issue with the variator, namely the piece o' shit J Costa variator. The slider ball things (?) inside the variator literally fused inside the face plate, causing brutal wear on the entire variator assembly. I was quite disgusted with this considering I was supposed to have about 4000 more miles of lifespan. Truly it was money down the drain, both on the J Costa part and for the repairs. I will never again do aftermarket nonsense for such a small (or any) bike. I now feel less neutral on the subject and more like gn2 regarding this issue.
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Shame that people spend so much on those J Costas. Here we got our own special cnc cutting machine and we use the weight plate with the nice shiny dome. Cut it down more and replace them with bigger weights, mostly MALOSSI brand, good Italian make. Once it's in the bike, for the 125, you get decent speed but for the 150, wow! Not even a quarter the price of the J Costa Variator and voila! Lasts a long time!

Hollar if anyone wants to get more info about this unique mod, I will talk with my PCX Southern Club Team here to see if we can ship some out to you guys over there! :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Black Bandit wrote:Shame that people spend so much on those J Costas. Here we got our own special cnc cutting machine and we use the weight plate with the nice shiny dome. Cut it down more and replace them with bigger weights, mostly MALOSSI brand, good Italian make. Once it's in the bike, for the 125, you get decent speed but for the 150, wow! Not even a quarter the price of the J Costa Variator and voila! Lasts a long time!

Hollar if anyone wants to get more info about this unique mod, I will talk with my PCX Southern Club Team here to see if we can ship some out to you guys over there! :)
I'd certainly like more info. How/where do you cut down the stock variator? Pics help! ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

I thought mainly shortening the boss helped with speed. The J Costa comes with a replacement boss that looks shorter than stock.