Amp draw when starting

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gc2301
Year: 2013
Color: red

Amp draw when starting

Post by gc2301 »

Curious if anyone knows approx amp draw when starting the pcz150. A friend had his battery go dead and needed a jump to get home. Thinking of making a mini set of jumper cables to have just in case. If amp draw is small enough that cables could possibly be made of lamp cord. Just thinking since they can't be push started. Thanks.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Amp draw when starting

Post by you you »

Or get a kickstart kit...
tjupille
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

Or, for 50 bucks get a Li-ion jump start battery:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V75SKW/
I got myself one as a Father's Day present (for use in the car, but it's certainly small enough that it would fit in the PCX), but haven't had a chance to use it (and, maybe, never will).
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

gc2301 wrote:Curious if anyone knows approx amp draw when starting the pcz150. A friend had his battery go dead and needed a jump to get home. Thinking of making a mini set of jumper cables to have just in case. If amp draw is small enough that cables could possibly be made of lamp cord. Just thinking since they can't be push started. Thanks.
===============================================================================================
Forget the lamp cord. That's "Mickey Mouse".

One proper way to do cycle jumper cables is to make them yourself. Years ago, when I regularly rode motorcycles, I took larger size copper alligator clips suitable for motorcycle boosting and bought 2 40" lengths of black THHN electrical wire, roughly 8 gauge. (commonly used in certain homes and businesses) I soldered the alligator clips (using propane and rosin core solder) to the new copper THHN wire ends and wrapped bright red electrical tape around the ends of one cable to clearly ID it as 12 volts positive. (The other was negative) Those cables would easily boost a car and on occasion, when I could not find car cables, I just used the motorcycle jumpers I had made. They didn't even get warm when boosting a full sized car. The cables made a natural circle, and were lighter and took up less space than automotive jumper cables.