How long does it take for the engine oil to warm up?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

How long does it take for the engine oil to warm up?

Post by romnation »

Just curious, as a I make a lot of short trips. How long does it take riding the scoot until the oil warms up to what would be considered operating temperature and would allow condensation to burn off?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: How long does it take for the engine oil to warm up?

Post by Jge64 »

Warming the oil and burning off all the condensation, is two different things. The bike's oil warms up in one or 2 miles, depending on the outside air temperature. Wisconsin in the winter is going to warm up a bit more slowly than Florida temperatures.

But I have also always read that you should run an engine for 20 minutes to burn off condensation and crap in the oil, also The main reason not to occaisionally start the bike if you put it in storage. Unless you can run it for 20 minutes at road speed, not idle, leave it dead.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

FWIW I always let my machines warm up for a few minutes (long enough to get the helmet on and sort things/gloves etc. . .) and then always make sure I put at least 5 miles on it in one stretch before shutting it off again. And then ride it some more. Errands break up the continuity but the motor stays warm in between those 10 minute stops.

Not a perfect program for eliminating all condensation perhaps from the crankcase but nonetheless not bad either. Also note that I change my oil at the end of each riding season or as mileage/maintenance schedule dictates. I tend to ride year round so if I'm on the edge of my oil change schedule I'll usually just wait until the Autumn to change it knowing that fresh oil will be sitting in the machine over the Winter. My Winter riding is less frequent if the weather/road surface conditions don't permit. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Because I don't ride as much as I use to, and much of my riding now is for local errands, I change my oil at the end of riding season, just before I store them in the basement for the winter. A quart of oil is cheap enough. An engine is not.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Someone who put an oil temp gauge on their single cylinder motorcycle engine reported this;

"From a cold start idle it takes 2 minutes to reach an oil temperature of 90 degrees."

"It amazes me how long it takes the engine to get to 150. If I start at about 90 degrees it takes at least 20 minutes on the highway to get to 150 degrees. 170 with some traffic, then stop and go traffic went to 205 and stayed there. Took longer than I'd hope to come back down to 190. But with outside air temps about 60 degrees at 72 mph the engine oil temperature drops to 170."

I think what we have here is an AIR cooled single cylinder motorbike analysis. So we need to do our own research since we have water cooled designs.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

homie wrote:Someone who put an oil temp gauge on their single cylinder motorcycle engine reported this;

"From a cold start idle it takes 2 minutes to reach an oil temperature of 90 degrees."

"It amazes me how long it takes the engine to get to 150. If I start at about 90 degrees it takes at least 20 minutes on the highway to get to 150 degrees. 170 with some traffic, then stop and go traffic went to 205 and stayed there. Took longer than I'd hope to come back down to 190. But with outside air temps about 60 degrees at 72 mph the engine oil temperature drops to 170."

I think what we have here is an AIR cooled single cylinder motorbike analysis. So we need to do our own research since we have water cooled designs.
Nice data! Thanks homie! :ugeek:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

changed the oil in the pcx for the first time 545 miles took it for a 20 mile ride today first time its been out since last october changed the oil when the ride was over screen was clean washed it out with brake cleaner good for another year
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

All those pizza delivery and such people that use scooters (some even PCX now) seem to just start, ride and stop frequently and the bikes seem to last and work well.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I wouldn't worry about warm up with the PCX engine, it is built with close enough tolerances that thermal cycling won't affect the life of the engine substantially. I'd instead be extra careful to stick with the maintenance schedule to change the oil regularly since the scooter has no oil filter.

If you don't do enough mileage to reach the mileage threshold on the maintenance schedule, I'd say especially with an errand-runner scooter that gets few miles, change oil yearly at a minimum.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Thats why a good multi grade oil is essential.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I put full synthetic in mine when I change the oil. I haven't heard one complaint from it. In fact, I think my PCX is quite happy.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

This thread makes me feel a little better about leaving home on my PCX's.

My 100'-long driveway is perpendicular to a 50 MPH, two-lane state highway on a slight curve where most traffic flows at 55-60+ MPH. My instinct tells me no more than half-throttle up to about 30-45 MPH for a few minutes before giving it the beans, but that's a good way to get flattened. Perhaps I should move. :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

zroger73 wrote:This thread makes me feel a little better about leaving home on my PCX's.
My 100'-long driveway is perpendicular to a 50 MPH, two-lane state highway on a slight curve where most traffic flows at 55-60+ MPH. My instinct tells me no more than half-throttle up to about 30-45 MPH for a few minutes before giving it the beans, but that's a good way to get flattened. Perhaps I should move. :)
is your avatar supposed to be upside down? :)
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

iceman wrote:is your avatar supposed to be upside down? :)
What do you mean? That's my PCX - I have to hang it from the ceiling because my garage is full. ;)

(Just kidding, of course. I'm surprised it took nine days for the first person to comment on it! Yes - I intentionally flipped it.)
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

zroger73 wrote:This thread makes me feel a little better about leaving home on my PCX's.

You could always give one of the 0W-xx synthetics a try (my pick for Texas would be 0W-40). That would improve your initial oil circulation while waiting for the engine to warm up.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

After servicing with Honda recommended oil I always add some MOS2 Liqui Moly friction reducer. No idea if it makes any difference, but at about $4.00 a shot, it's cheap insurance. :P :P :P

On another note has anyone seen my multi grips? We use them to remove corks out of sparkling wine bottles, and they've gone missing out of the kitchen. Arthritis and old age are so much fun. :roll: :roll: :roll: