Awesome 2 stroke

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Awesome 2 stroke

Post by springer1 »

Jump to 12:20 on the attached video and checkout the ride on this Vespa with a custom engine. If nothing else, you can see how the clutch and gearshift are integrated in the the left handlebar / grip / lever. I rode a 150cc Vespa (actually it was a "Stella") for 4 years and it was awesome fun, but 2 stroke Stellas have a tendency of seizing at speed once they get mileage on them - so I sold it and thus have the PCX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmlgEP-ihls
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Awesome 2 stroke

Post by PCX150Rider »

Cool video. 8)

The oncoming white car near the end looked "over the line". :roll:

I had hoped for a Stella a couple of years ago but after reading about the problems I decided against it. The newer version they introduced had electrical problems and an ECU recall right at the get-go. Sadly the manufacturer, LML, has decided not to produce them anymore so the last vestige of the old Vespa P200 type scooters, as the Stella exemplified, is no longer available. :(

That being said the PCX works for me. . .. It's not "retro" but it is certainly reliable, economical, performs well, and parts or dealerships/service is widely available. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How many quarts of oil per mile??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Reminds me of those clown cars from yesteryear.. Not for me to drive , but definitely something for the shelf.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Mel46 wrote:How many quarts of oil per mile??
Not much. The spec was a 2% mix, provided by the bike's auto-lube (no manual mixing required). But I thought that was a bit short so I also mixed 1% to to the fuel. But not before I first added a CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature) gauge to get baseline stock engine head temps in real time in various ride conditions ...... I wanted the baselines to compare engine temps with after I made oil mix and fuel jetting changes.

Adding oil to the fuel actually leans out the fuel mix because the added oil displaces fuel - so you can wind up with a well lubricated piston seized from excess heat from a lean mix.

So I richened both the high end and mid range jets to compensate for both the added oil and to also make sure the stock engine wasn't a bit lean in order for them to meet EPA requirements. I've been around a while, and I never heard of ANY 2 stroke guys mixing just 2% oil. Many people just let the auto-lube do the 2%, but I didn't feel comfortable with it.

Anyways, I never had any problems - and the new 2T synthetics burn so clean that 3% resulted in zero carbon or ash buildup in the combustion chamber that I could find, even with the richened fuel jets.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Nowt wrong with a proper Vespa. Had a PX125 years ago. They're holding their value over here now, so I'll have another one in the not too distant.