Extra performance with large screen

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Davepcx
Year: 2018
Color: White

Extra performance with large screen

Post by Davepcx »

So after buying the tall givi screen i noticed an immediate boost in acceleration but didn't really think much of it...
I decided to do some testing and it seems the difference is quite big. With the oem screen i can get to 62 but any head wind/gradient put me back to around 55mph .
With the tall givi (and even my chopped version :D ) i can pretty much sit at 60mph with ease and it gets there a lot faster...

Anyone else noticed this?
May be a cheaper/easier mod than fitting new variator/weights etc :lol:

Just thought I'd mention it...
Dave.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: Extra performance with large screen

Post by Cube »

I got a similar butt-dyno experience after adding a taller screen, but I couldn't definitively say it was faster.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Essentially, the wind is redirected around you now instead of being directed right into your chest, which is like a brick wall to the wind. Yes, you definitely would see an inprovement in acceleration but that is because wind resistance has been lowered.

The variator and weights modify the machine itself, or rather the way the machine uses the parts. Weights affect acceleration. The variator mod changes how far out the belt can go, thus affecting top end. Neither item changes horsepower, just the way the bike uses what it already has.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
CharlieP
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by CharlieP »

I have not noticed any noticible speed difference between my extra tall National Windscreen and the Regular National Windscreen (4 inch height difference). What I did notice is that the higher speed handling of the scooter is noticibly worse with the taller windscreen, especially in windy conditions. I plan to only use the extra tall one for winter riding.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think THAT particular problem can occur depending on regional conditions. Some areas remain quite windy most of the year, in which case the tall windshields could act more as a sail than as a wind deflector. The same could be said for driving a van in those conditions as opposed to a small, low profile car.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

It's obvious that a larger windshield would help when riding against the wind. The SMAX 155cc has a top speed of 80 mph, and I think that is somewhat attributable to the taller windshield. The PCX will hit that with the right variator "gearing", but you'll need to tuck with the wind. I can *always* hit 65 mph on the my stock PCX just by tucking.... then I have the benefit of never have to worry about side winds pulling me in the wrong direction.