What to lubricate after washing?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

What to lubricate after washing?

Post by Spaguar »

According to Honda manual, when washing the scooter „After the scooter dries, lubricate any moving parts“ but I actually don't know what I should lubricate and what lubricant to use.

My Forza is now 4 months old with 2'300 km. In the spring there were a few rains that brought some sand all the way from Sahara desert so I rinsed it off with water and dried with soft cloth. I only had one ride in the rain but my scoot was several times parked outside in a shower. After the last shower I heard a silent squeeking in the front brake lever and the contact parts showed some corrosion so I sprayed some WD-40 and the squeeking has stopped. I hope this will not damage the nearby rubber seals.
I have a full size rain cover but it's not practical for everyday use so I regularly use just a seat cover to avoid wett pants in the morning. Any remaining dew on the handlebars, instruments, mirrors and windshield I just wipe off with cloth.
I've already spent hours browsing for a movable shelter/tent cover but haven't found any that would fit my Forza with a topbox and the windshielf fully extend and at the same time looks decent enough for a street-front parking.
Here are the two closest to what I am looking for but still seam to be too tight for a smooth use with the topbox and windshield..
https://www.caveinnovations.com/product ... ter-cover/
https://www.amazon.de/StormProtector%C2 ... +protector

To come back to my original question: What parts should I lubricate and with what lubricant after washing or a storm?
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: What to lubricate after washing?

Post by Mel46 »

Lubricate after washing?? Really??

Motorcycles and scooters are meant to be used outside, in all sorts of weather.
I only have a PCX but whenever I take it to the dealer for some service that I can not do myself, they always wash the bike for me. Never have I seen them run around oiling and greasing parts right after that.

The only time I would even think about greasing my bike would be if SOMEONE... not me ... happened to use a pressure washer on it, which is a big NO NO.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have ridden thousands of km in the rain and I have not really "lubricated" anything. I have barely even washed my 2014 Honda Forza 300 with 82327 km in total.

I did re-grease the side and centre stand once. The key/lock needed something once.

The Forza is not a Harley, you don't have to spend hours & hours polishing it.

Ride the thing and have fun.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

honda scooters are used in every country in the world. they are made to keep on ticking with minimal maintenance, I doubt in some 3rd world countries if it even gets 87 octane gas and the other fluids are ever changed. And thats after the owner has carried his family with him for 50 miles in 110 degree heat.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Lubricate after washing?? Really??

Motorcycles and scooters are meant to be used outside, in all sorts of weather.
I only have a PCX but whenever I take it to the dealer for some service that I can not do myself, they always wash the bike for me. Never have I seen them run around oiling and greasing parts right after that.

The only time I would even think about greasing my bike would be if SOMEONE... not me ... happened to use a pressure washer on it, which is a big NO NO.

Your dealer will have used a power washer :lol: :lol: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sponge bath, light rinse, blow dry with leaf blower. 3 years later PCX still looks like new.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (183.18 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

homie wrote:Sponge bath, light rinse, blow dry with leaf blower. 3 years later PCX still looks like new.
I've been chased from "do it yourself" car washes for washing down dirt bikes tied in the back of my pickup with pounds of mud & crud on them. At home, my wife would make me hose them down in the garden because I got so much dirt on the driveway otherwise.

But other than dirt bikes, I have never hose washed a motorcycle that I can remember in 50 years of riding. Just sponge them off - or wipe them down with a rag soaked in car wax - and then dry them off.

But hey, each to their own, force that water into all kinds of circuits and gizmos if you want.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

There is a product class, made by about 10 different manufactures, for doing exactly this, wiping down a vehicle that doesn't leave soap film but cleans and protects without a hose.... They are known as the RINSELESS products, virtually made by everybody on any of the detailing sites.... 2 ounces in 3 gallons of water, use three or four different microfibers to wipe it down, then just dry, however you desire. I gave Apache some, It's amazing stuff. I use Carpro ECH2O rinseless/ waterless. It never scratches the paint, as it is an extremely high lubricity by itself, Soaked into the towel.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Waterless ... ech2o+wash
Glen
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

homie wrote:Sponge bath, light rinse, blow dry with leaf blower. 3 years later PCX still looks like new.
...and you still are so short that you look like your helmet. :lol: wait... is that you or your helmet?

You You, my dealer did WHAT!!??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:
...and you still are so short that you look like your helmet. :lol: wait... is that you or your helmet?
btw I don't wash under the hood of my truck at all, looks dirty as all get out but no engine problems 65,000

more selfie hehe
Attachments
homie.jpg
homie.jpg (171.76 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

I live near the sea in the UK, ride all year, and the bike stays outside under a cover. The sand and salt gets in behind the plastics even. Roads were salted throughout the past winter aswell. Rust is inevitable. I can't possibly wash down the bike every single evening after work. I have the time to rinse it down a few times a week. I used ACF50 on it twice this winter - using a mist spray - not squirter and not the pressurised can which makes a massive mess - getting it into all the gaps and using a cloth to cover larger areas. But it wasn't enough and rust is still forming below the center stand (road salt I think) and a small patch on the front wheel nut (rain). The mirror bars are prone to rusting from the inside out - so I pull down the rubber seals and get lubricant in there to try to keep moisture out. I think it depends on where you live, the weather, salt levels, and your own personal setup with a garage or cover. Hosing off the road salt in winter would definitely make a difference. And regular waxing/oiling is making a difference for me in my location. My previous Honda Vision got very bad rust very quickly in the winter months because I didn't protect her from the salt. Mirrors, rear and front shocks, exhaust, screw heads and bolts. To me, driving on winter salted roads is the most damaging - even while living by a windy/sandy coastline.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
G'Bru
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gbru2505 wrote:I live near the sea in the UK, ride all year, and the bike stays outside under a cover. The sand and salt gets in behind the plastics even. Roads were salted throughout the past winter aswell. Rust is inevitable. I can't possibly wash down the bike every single evening after work. I have the time to rinse it down a few times a week. I used ACF50 on it twice this winter - using a mist spray - not squirter and not the pressurised can which makes a massive mess - getting it into all the gaps and using a cloth to cover larger areas. But it wasn't enough and rust is still forming below the center stand (road salt I think) and a small patch on the front wheel nut (rain). The mirror bars are prone to rusting from the inside out - so I pull down the rubber seals and get lubricant in there to try to keep moisture out. I think it depends on where you live, the weather, salt levels, and your own personal setup with a garage or cover. Hosing off the road salt in winter would definitely make a difference. And regular waxing/oiling is making a difference for me in my location. My previous Honda Vision got very bad rust very quickly in the winter months because I didn't protect her from the salt. Mirrors, rear and front shocks, exhaust, screw heads and bolts. To me, driving on winter salted roads is the most damaging - even while living by a windy/sandy coastline.
I think you're doing the right thing. I once asked a realtor at the North Carolina seashore why the homes on stilts / pilings had their air conditioners out in the weather instead of protected under the buildings. He replied they rusted quickly if they weren't out in the rain which washes off the salt mist periodically.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Gbru there is no doubt in my mind that those who ride by the sea and/or during winter need to rinse their bikes off as often as possible. However, oiling and greasing everything on it EVERY time you rinse the bike off may not be possible.

Definitely do the center stand area and other areas that are constantly getting salt and sand on them. Other than that, AF50 is your friend. Use it whenever you can.

Homie, when you take your helmet off do you have helmet head, or are you just one of those talking heads from the 80s? :lol: :roll:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

To lubricate the centrestand you need to dismantle it.
Should be done regularly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

DSCF6150-1000x750.JPG
DSCF6150-1000x750.JPG (194.4 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
newly washed. just too lazy to lube anything, rode it around the block to dry off..

when it was new, i would spend 30 mins lubing anything i find worth lubing LOL

can't be bothered to do it now :lol:
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

Thanks for all your inputs :)
Since I don't live by the sea and I don't plan to ride in the winter over salty roads, I stop worrying and will only lubricate if something squeaks or rusts.
I'll just continue to keep my Forza clean and dry.
I will ask Honda garage to check and grease whatever is needed at my regular, 6'000 km service.
ImageImageImage
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

Mel46 wrote: Definitely do the center stand area and other areas that are constantly getting salt and sand on them. Other than that, AF50 is your friend. Use it whenever you can.
I've Googled for AF50 but did not find anything that would make sense :|
Did you refere to ACF-50? Could you share a link?
Thanks!
ImageImageImage
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I feel that conditions where you live Homie, and people such as Whitenoise, lend themselves to bikes staying in better condition - with all the will in the world and frequent cleaning, I can't imagine my pcx looking like that 6 months into purchase let alone 4 years. Still, it rides fine, works fine, and has saved lots of money if I would otherwise use public transport (and much more fun and convenient).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Spaguar wrote:
Mel46 wrote: Definitely do the center stand area and other areas that are constantly getting salt and sand on them. Other than that, AF50 is your friend. Use it whenever you can.
I've Googled for AF50 but did not find anything that would make sense :|
Did you refere to ACF-50? Could you share a link?
Thanks!

Yes it's ACF-50. Good stuff.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

CRC 656 Will work fine if you can't find af50, its readily available in the states…

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industries-0 ... rine+spray
Glen