40,000,000 cans of STP

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

40,000,000 cans of STP

Post by fish »

Sheeoot, if you can't trust Johnny - you can't nobody!
Andy Granatelli's heart surgeon told him that it doesn't matter that additives do nothing to improve anything - just make sure they "don't do no harm!"
(the physicians creed - "Do no harm!", 'ya see?)
In my area folks are still buying bottles of dry gas in the winter - even though every gallon in Ohio contains 10% ethanol!

A few years ago I stopped at my motorcycle/scooter parts counter because I couldn't locate the SeaFoam in their isles.
I asked - the old fellow behind the counter looked up, and said, "We don't sell it because you don't need it ."
"I don't need it?"
"No. But I'd sooner tell these bikers they have an ugly dog than to tell them that."

Smile cousin!

Fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlSWf1Iuuk
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: 40,000,000 cans of STP

Post by Mel46 »

Well, that STP helped many of my old cars to keep on running when they should have been dead. I am not so sure that it is needed in modern cars though.

As for Seafoam, it works on the old gas in my bike when it would sit all winter. The first year that we had the PCX we did not put anything in the fuel for winter storage and the bike refused to start when Spring came. I then went on the forum and read that someone recommended it for situations like mine. I bought some, added it to my tank and waited until the next day to try to start it. It sputtered once and then caught. It ran fine from then on.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I don't know if the Seafoam is doing any good, but I have put it in and left the bike for up to 10 months and it started with no problem. If it isn't making a difference, I don't care as I am willing to be out the few cents and have peace of mind rather than go without it and find out it was making a difference.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Well it ain’t gas or oil additive - but he doesn’t want a pickle either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLtNBm1yyA
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

springer1 wrote:Well it ain’t gas or oil additive - but he doesn’t want a pickle either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLtNBm1yyA
Post one more of those...you'll be joining us here on the Group W Bench.

Alice
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Amen! :lol:

And don't forget Marvel Mystery Oil!!! :D

It really does dissolve carbon deposits and free up frozen motors that have just plain sat too long. . .. Usually just pouring some down the spark plug hole and letting it set for a few days will work but then there are those who take it to a whole other level. o_O

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:Amen! :lol:

And don't forget Marvel Mystery Oil!!! :D

It really does dissolve carbon deposits and free up frozen motors that have just plain sat too long. . .. Usually just pouring some down the spark plug hole and letting it set for a few days will work.
So does diesel.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

A fresh oil change will also slowly release deposits - without the concern of larger chunks of crud beginning to move and blocking passages. Cleaning is one of the functions of modern oils.
Using high mileage oils is all many mechanics recommend for older engines.
But 'ol Andy, at 40 million cans a year, proved that marketing can sell us darn near anything - like our tap water back to us in bottles.
Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Remember the screwdriver dipped in STP test?
My brother proved that Crisco does the same - and buying by the 1/2 gallon can - it's cheaper, too.
Your pollutants smell like Col. Sanders.
It's a great country!

Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

If you want to clean up your engines gunk , put a quart of diesel fuel in the crankcase and run your engine at idle for about 15 minutes. Then change the oil with a good brand oil. If you want to clean out carbon deposits use Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel then followed by adding Chevron Techron . Using MMO routinely and Techron will keep your engine clean.MMO doesn't remove hard carbon deposits but softens them down to mud.. The cleaners like Seafoam or Techron are the removers.(high detergents)and should be used as a follow up to MMO.
As a side note, I recently took the cyclinder heads off a 2005 Chevy Silverado with close to 200,000 miles and to my surprise they were remarkably clean and free of carbon deposits. No use of any cleaners just a variety of regular fuels.. Sooo there must be something in the gas thats keeping them clean. Maybe the ethanol ..it is alcohol and that in itself is a cleaner. ?? who knows !!but today's fuels are way better than what we grew up with.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

During the warmer months I add MMO to my gas in the bikes. In the cooler months, or when the humidity is really excessive, I pour in some Startron fuel additive to reduce phasing. When it's cold out I don't ride the motorcycles as much so the gas tends to sit longer in between fill ups.

Have to say that some years ago when I first started using MMO the first couple of oil changes (whether it was my Jeep or the bikes) were much darker in color than usual. . .so it was doing something. Then after that the color returned to a more normal appearance. :geek: