Xmas lights

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Xmas lights

Post by fish »

This little Ohio town once again put on a stupendous holiday fireworks show Sat night, between big downpours - and lit the city center with lights and a big Xmas tree (donated ea. year by a resident in need of a tree removal!)

Riding through town Sunday sunrise....

Wet streets make for cool night pix...

But my coffee destination was still lousy with leaves!

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Xmas lights

Post by Mel46 »

The lights are great at this time of year...leaves on the road, not so much. It's like a biker's worse nightmare. I would hate to be trying to park my bike there and slip...or be leaving and slip.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:The lights are great at this time of year...leaves on the road, not so much. It's like a biker's worse nightmare. I would hate to be trying to park my bike there and slip...or be leaving and slip.

As a biker my worst nightmare isn’t leaves.

It’s waking up and slowly remembering I’ve bought a harley on eBay...
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Know what you all mean about slippery roads...
Attachments
ICEFLORIDA.JPG
ICEFLORIDA.JPG (35.16 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Wow. . .more magazine quality pics!

All wet leaves are not the same. Some are more slimey than others. It's best to approach all of them with caution and tread carefully. :?

The thing I find about riding through mushy leaf debris is that it dries like soggy uneaten cornflakes in a cereal bowl in the hard to reach areas of a bike or scooter and takes extra effort to remove. :lol:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote: As a biker my worst nightmare isn’t leaves.
It’s waking up and slowly remembering I’ve bought a harley on eBay...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:_________________
I only drink to make homie intelligible
:roll: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:Wow. . .more magazine quality pics!

All wet leaves are not the same. Some are more slimey than others. It's best to approach all of them with caution and tread carefully. :?

The thing I find about riding through mushy leaf debris is that it dries like soggy uneaten cornflakes in a cereal bowl in the hard to reach areas of a bike or scooter and takes extra effort to remove. :lol:
Agreed, about the wet leaves.
Gave this scooter a good wash, rinse and blow-dry when I got home.
Amazing to be riding in a lined mesh jacket this time of year in Ohio.

Fish

(Photo tip for night shots - I use a tripod mounted camera ….& camera delayed by a timer. Mustn't touch the camera during the long exposure!)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Dry leaves - no worries.

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

(Photo tip for night shots - I use a tripod mounted camera ….& camera delayed by a timer. Mustn't touch the camera during the long exposure!)
Do you leave your camera on an "auto" setting so that it automatically controls the aperture, shutter speed, and flash IAW lighting conditions or do you have a low light (or night time) setting to choose from?

My Kodak Z981 isn't the best or worst camera they've made but it has a lot of nice features, settings, image stabilization, will save to RAW files, takes 4 AA batteries, and doesn't break. It was made in Vietnam. . .excellent workmanship. Can't complain. Here's a link to the specs. The CCD sensor is what it is. . ..

It's all I need. :D

https://cameradecision.com/review/Kodak-EasyShare-Z981
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:
Do you leave your camera on an "auto" setting so that it automatically controls the aperture, shutter speed, and flash IAW lighting conditions or do you have a low light (or night time) setting to choose from?

My Kodak Z981 isn't the best or worst camera they've made but it has a lot of nice features, settings, image stabilization, will save to RAW files, takes 4 AA batteries, and doesn't break. It was made in Vietnam. . .excellent workmanship. Can't complain. Here's a link to the specs. The CCD sensor is what it is. . ..

It's all I need. :D

https://cameradecision.com/review/Kodak-EasyShare-Z981
Yeah, sometimes set to Intelligent Auto, sometimes "night" setting. Use couple of different Panasonic Lumix cameras. A couple of small pocket models, one much larger Lumix....but still must fit in jacket pocket - so it's readily to hand. Amazon authorized reconditioned cameras working fine for me. Important thing is set the camera down, don't touch during the exposure. I use sidewalk trash bins, window ledges, car tops, curbs, etc.
Even an inexpensive digital camera can take a good night shot if you use a timer and set it down. I've seen camera shutter stay open for 3 or 4 seconds at a time....catches lots of traffic movement, while subject is clear and focused.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

For those who use cameras that use AA batteries, there is a AA lithium battery out. It is not cheap, but it lasts and lasts, and is rechargeable. You can buy a 4 pack for $20, and they recharge using any USB port or cable, even from your bike.

Keep a 4 pack of unopened AA alkaline batteries as backup if you want to, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the lithium ones. It seems to me that the more often we charge ours, the longer they last. They must have a break in period.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Rechargeable ... chargeable
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

For those who use cameras that use AA batteries, there is a AA lithium battery out. It is not cheap, but it lasts and lasts, and is rechargeable. You can buy a 4 pack for $20, and they recharge using any USB port or cable, even from your bike.

Keep a 4 pack of unopened AA alkaline batteries as backup if you want to, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the lithium ones. It seems to me that the more often we charge ours, the longer they last. They must have a break in period.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Rechargeable ... chargeable
Thanks Mel!

Good tip. . .. :D

The past couple of years I've just been buying the AA batteries when they were on sale in the larger packs and just swapping them out as they got used up.

I did have rechargeable batteries and a charger but over time and multiple uses they just didn't keep the charge as long. I think I used to put 8 AA cells in there at a time. Also, the charger always use to get quite warm. . .on the edge of hot/warm. I didn't feel safe using it anymore. I still have it though. I never left it on if I wasn't in the house. . .. :geek:

The nice thing about the USB connectivity on the batteries in your link is you can charge them from any available USB port. . .like in the newer cars too. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The previous generation of rechargeable batteries were Ni-MH, not lithium. They lost their effectiveness within a shorter and shorter amount of time, until eventually they were useless.

The nice thing about lithium ones is their short chart time after the initial charge. My lawn equipment uses lithium batteries, and the instructions say you can do a 85% charge in 15 minutes. Imagine topping off your batteries as you ride. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150